Bushmeister BAX12

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Bushmeister BAX12

Post by big matt » 08 Jun 2022, 1:36 pm

Has anyone tried out the new thumb release shotgun from Bushmeister, it looks great and easier to use than the straight pull shotguns that are currently available...
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Bushmeister BAX12

Post by big matt » 08 Jun 2022, 1:36 pm

big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 08 Jun 2022, 8:55 pm

Seriously the amount of complaints about jamming makes me glad I hunt with a triple.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AS30N » 16 Jun 2022, 10:12 pm

I own one and played with my mate's one for a few weeks till i got my own. They look great and cycle very fast. BUT it is pretty fussy with ammo, to start with, you need at least 28g 1300 fps loads to cycle (not all 28/1300 rounds will work. The other thing is that action is not very smooth, so the bolt doesn't close fully sometimes. I found roll crimped shells work best as the front is slightly tapered so goes it a little smoother. When I get around to it I will get a stronger recoil spring and tune it to run on heavy buck shots and slugs only. Definitely a gun tat one has to tinker......
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by big matt » 21 Jul 2022, 2:07 pm

big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 31 Oct 2022, 9:05 am

The Bushmeister handles okay, better than the verney carron in my opinion as the pistol grip is a lot wider. It was jamming on 28gram 1215fps kemen target loads but cycled okay with 36gram BB loads.

https://youtu.be/EcgVxoQ76MI
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 01 Nov 2022, 9:29 am

My LGS has said that the Bushmeister is "under review" and "likely to be banned" not sure if they have some inside info or if they're just salty they couldn't get any.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by mchughcb » 02 Nov 2022, 6:15 pm

Haven't heard that. One comment people have made is the thumb lever should be a bit longer.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 03 Nov 2022, 12:08 pm

I picked one up a few weeks ago, for clay shooting 7.5 shot 28g loads the recoil is barely enough to cycle the action, even for the faster (1300 fps+)
Dismantling and giving all moving parts a good polishing has certainly helped, probably the equivalent of a few thousand run-in rounds.

The shotgun itself is about what you'd expect for Turkish budget and actually a well made clone of the Benelli M1 inertia operated semi-auto shotgun.
The thumb lever is OK, maybe a few mm low for my hand size, and probably deliberately designed to not be a thumb rest during use, but follow up shots are still fast, obviously not as fast as a double or triple barrel break action but fast enough for clay pairs with some practice.

It probably is as close to a semi-auto as we will ever get in Australia and certainly looks and feels like one, I love using it at club shoots that are approved for Cat B.
Some police and politicians may struggle to believe this but using it hasn't created any urges to go on a murderous spree in the local shopping center either.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 03 Nov 2022, 5:33 pm

Good to hear. Is it wood or synthetic? I"m assuming 28"?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 09 Nov 2022, 7:31 am

Well ozziereviews, unsurprisingly has done a review of one. He likes it. That's good enough for me.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.