Why Doubles and Triples are Best For Hunting

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Why Doubles and Triples are Best For Hunting

Post by mchughcb » 13 Jun 2022, 10:58 pm

For the noobies,

I loved my semi-autos and pump shotguns as much as the next guy.

However over the last 5 years I've seen a plethora of bolt action shotguns, lever action shotguns, straight pull shotguns and lever release shotguns on many hunts and after a few hundred hunts I've come to the conclusion nothing beats a double or a triple barrel shotgun.

The main reason are:

1. Handling
2. Multi-choke
3. Rapid fire
4. Easy to load

I'm sure there's always somebody who will go on about bombing a mob of pigs. Well I use a rifle for that. For everything else, rabbits, hares, foxes, ducks, quail then the doubles and where legal triples always bring home more success.

Verney Carron
https://youtu.be/K_V-08DkCq8

or Adler

https://youtu.be/kwVgnUOekpA
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Why Doubles and Triples are Best For Hunting

Post by womble » 14 Jun 2022, 4:06 am

True. And cleaning.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jun 2022, 8:21 am

Disassembly, Cleaning and maintenance. I should have added first.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jun 2022, 9:12 am

Agreed on double-guns, not so much triples. To be able to choose between chokes you would need three triggers. For the number of times you'll need that third shot I don't think it's worth lugging another steel tube around the paddock. If you are regularly using the third you're probably better off using a single-barrel mag-fed gun, in my opinion.
Last edited by bladeracer on 14 Jun 2022, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 14 Jun 2022, 10:43 am

bladeracer wrote:Agreed on double-guns, no so much triples. To be able to choose between chokes you would need three triggers. For the number of times you'll need that third shot I don't think it's worth lugging another steel tube around the paddock. If you are regularly using the third you're probably better off using a single-barrel mag-fed gun, in my opinion.

Agree with Bladeracer here. Triples don't handle real well either in my opinion.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jun 2022, 5:10 pm

Triples handle alright but it's relative for hunting. Better than a adler but less than a blaser F16 sporter.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 14 Jun 2022, 6:21 pm

mchughcb wrote:Triples handle alright but it's relative for hunting. Better than a adler but less than a blaser F16 sporter.

Fair call
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jun 2022, 6:53 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Triples handle alright but it's relative for hunting. Better than a adler but less than a blaser F16 sporter.

Fair call

Mine shoots okay. And the three shots are always there when you need it :lol:

https://youtu.be/pgZxwG-vvvs
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:Agreed on double-guns, not so much triples. To be able to choose between chokes you would need three triggers. For the number of times you'll need that third shot I don't think it's worth lugging another steel tube around the paddock. If you are regularly using the third you're probably better off using a single-barrel mag-fed gun, in my opinion.

To choose between chokes you need different chokes. To cycle to the next choke requires just pulling the trigger. Nobody regularly uses a third barrel, but the full choke is there when you need it.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 14 Jun 2022, 9:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:Agreed on double-guns, not so much triples. To be able to choose between chokes you would need three triggers. For the number of times you'll need that third shot I don't think it's worth lugging another steel tube around the paddock. If you are regularly using the third you're probably better off using a single-barrel mag-fed gun, in my opinion.

I agree, double-guns are a great hunting gun, side by side that points well is a pleasure to shoot. I don't get the lever-action or straight pulls seem awkward to shoot.

Although I do miss my Browning Model A5 Semi Auto, it was such a great hunting gun, oh and my pump actions, but well :roll:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jun 2022, 9:51 pm

They are awkward to cycle. They big plus they have in synthetic stocks which when hunting in rain a lot like I do makes them a bit more durable.

Having said that, I love my 20G sxs. Only cost $995 new but its a little gem.

https://youtu.be/B_PHtd8azVg
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jun 2022, 12:11 am

mchughcb wrote:

To choose between chokes you need different chokes. To cycle to the next choke requires just pulling the trigger. Nobody regularly uses a third barrel, but the full choke is there when you need it.

Yes, of course, if you only have one trigger. But I don't consider it possible to "choose" a particular choke if you have to fire one or two barrels at your target first to get to the choke you want :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Jun 2022, 3:30 am

bladeracer wrote:
mchughcb wrote:

Yes, of course, if you only have one trigger. But I don't consider it possible to "choose" a particular choke if you have to fire one or two barrels at your target first to get to the choke you want :-)

Easy. Just have them all full chokes. But also,straight pulls etc have the same problem
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jun 2022, 4:23 am

bigpete wrote:Easy. Just have them all full chokes. But also, straight pulls etc have the same problem

I'm with you, no need for anything but full choke, except maybe a turkey choke :-)
Straight-pulls don't have the same problem as they only have one choke.

For me I use a gun on moving targets to improve my ability to hit moving targets with a rifle. Spreading the shot pattern out to cover a huge circle does nothing to improve my rifle shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jun 2022, 8:34 am

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
mchughcb wrote:

Easy. Just have them all full chokes. But also,straight pulls etc have the same problem

Well that is one view, however I also get game at 10 yards and its better to have F, IC, F because you need laser accuracy on the first barrel.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 15 Jun 2022, 3:28 pm

You guys are better than me. I need a looser pattern on closer game depending on the angle they are running. Get a cat running left to right between cover at full throttle and I really need a looser pattern! And more practice on said cats.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jun 2022, 6:49 pm

Yes.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 15 Jun 2022, 7:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:Easy. Just have them all full chokes. But also, straight pulls etc have the same problem

I'm with you, no need for anything but full choke, except maybe a turkey choke :-)

For me I use a gun on moving targets to improve my ability to hit moving targets with a rifle. Spreading the shot pattern out to cover a huge circle does nothing to improve my rifle shooting.

Do you really use a turkey choke at times? What are the uses for it?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 15 Jun 2022, 7:22 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Choking turkeys :unknown:

Nah really a turkey choke is extra full
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jun 2022, 7:43 pm

Shootermick wrote:Do you really use a turkey choke at times? What are the uses for it?

I bought two turkey chokes when I was trying to make reduced-recoil loads, trying to tighten up the pattern with reduced payloads.
Turkey chokes tighten the pattern for head-shooting turkeys.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Jun 2022, 7:52 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'd have used one if I could get it,for bird control
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 15 Jun 2022, 8:18 pm

slower load will give less spread so does longer fingers on wads or anything that slows down the wad coming away.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 15 Jun 2022, 8:47 pm

So would any of you blokes ever get a so called turkey shotgun? Rifle sights and a short barrel seem to be the criteria. Or just put an extra full choke into a normal 12 gauge?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jun 2022, 9:20 pm

Shootermick wrote:So would any of you blokes ever get a so called turkey shotgun? Rifle sights and a short barrel seem to be the criteria. Or just put an extra full choke into a normal 12 gauge?

Not me. They are for very specific circumstances. Single shot on a turkey head at long distances called into shooting distance.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by geoff » 15 Jun 2022, 10:43 pm

LawrenceA wrote:You guys are better than me. I need a looser pattern on closer game depending on the angle they are running. Get a cat running left to right between cover at full throttle and I really need a looser pattern! And more practice on said cats.

Completely agree. In some circumstances I'm taking the scattergun over a rifle to compensate for my substandard skills!
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 15 Jun 2022, 11:10 pm

I still loved my high capacity guns.

My first shotgun in the was a Spas-12, made famous by Arnie in Terminator 1. It was semi-auto or pump action, had a button select under the foregrip and you could change modes even during firing sequences.

After that a bentley 8 shot pump. I remember Qld gun exchange when it was still in the Valley used to have several sticking out of a bin like umbrellas near the door. Like mars bars at coles, placed right where it was easy to say "why not, add that to my order as well fellas" :D

My favorite was the USAS-12. Cleavers starting bringing them in in 1994 from Daewoo for $1895. They were a semi-auto with a 20 shot drum and 2 x 10 shot stick mags. looked like an AR-15 on steroids.. I actually called the Daewoo designer in Korea from the number in the back of the little blue manual that came with the gun to ask a few questions. This was pre-internet so didnt expect to actuallly get anyone speaking english to talk to . They put me through to the guy, turns out he spoke good English and talked my ear off half an hour. Told me how the first 400units had been sold to the Israeli government, how they were tested to 28,000 shots for wear and tear in the fully automatic version. They were amazing, you could dump all 20shots in about 5-6 seconds. Thats 180 x 00/SG buck pellets.

Next one was a Boito double barrel( post 96 laws). Doubles are certainly all thats needed for regular shotgunning, lighter as well.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 16 Jun 2022, 5:31 am

Shootermick wrote:So would any of you blokes ever get a so called turkey shotgun? Rifle sights and a short barrel seem to be the criteria. Or just put an extra full choke into a normal 12 gauge?

Absolutely I would
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 16 Jun 2022, 7:39 am

bigpete wrote:

Absolutely I would

You’d get one?
There’s a Henry turkey model on the SSAA site at the moment. It’s $1500 though, that sort of money goes a fair way towards some pretty decent under and overs. But if it suits a purpose for someone, why not I guess.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 16 Jun 2022, 8:29 am

mickb wrote:I still loved my high capacity guns.

My first shotgun in the was a Spas-12, made famous by Arnie in Terminator 1. It was semi-auto or pump action, had a button select under the foregrip and you could change modes even during firing sequences.

After that a bentley 8 shot pump. I remember Qld gun exchange when it was still in the Valley used to have several sticking out of a bin like umbrellas near the door. Like mars bars at coles, placed right where it was easy to say "why not, add that to my order as well fellas" :D

My favorite was the USAS-12. Cleavers starting bringing them in in 1994 from Daewoo for $1895. They were a semi-auto with a 20 shot drum and 2 x 10 shot stick mags. looked like an AR-15 on steroids.. I actually called the Daewoo designer in Korea from the number in the back of the little blue manual that came with the gun to ask a few questions. This was pre-internet so didnt expect to actuallly get anyone speaking english to talk to . They put me through to the guy, turns out he spoke good English and talked my ear off half an hour. Told me how the first 400units had been sold to the Israeli government, how they were tested to 28,000 shots for wear and tear in the fully automatic version. They were amazing, you could dump all 20shots in about 5-6 seconds. Thats 180 x 00/SG buck pellets.

Next one was a Boito double barrel( post 96 laws). Doubles are certainly all thats needed for regular shotgunning, lighter as well.

CONTACT!
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 17 Jun 2022, 8:24 pm

I like doubles for hunting. They dont need as much of an angle when opening compared to a under and over, so they are quicker to reload and less likely to get hung up in low bush.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.