Why Doubles and Triples are Best For Hunting

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Why Doubles and Triples are Best For Hunting

Post by mchughcb » 17 Jun 2022, 9:42 pm

animalpest wrote:I like doubles for hunting. They dont need as much of an angle when opening compared to a under and over, so they are quicker to reload and less likely to get hung up in low bush.

This my experience.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 17 Jun 2022, 9:59 pm

animalpest wrote:I like doubles for hunting. They dont need as much of an angle when opening compared to a under and over, so they are quicker to reload and less likely to get hung up in low bush.

What’s a good sxs for a hunting scenario then?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 17 Jun 2022, 10:21 pm

One that fits you
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jun 2022, 10:15 am

Shootermick wrote:

What’s a good sxs for a hunting scenario then?

The one sxs that I really like is the fabarm Classis 12 which I bought new for a friend. That fitted like a glove, can shoot full choke with steel shot. It had a problem with the right ejector so was fixed immediately under warranty by Spiros (RIP). I promised to buy back that from my mate if he ever offloads it.

I held the Fabarm Classis 20 as well and that's probably more of the same. Fabarm have a classis 12 waterfowl with hydrodipped which would be bullet proof.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 18 Jun 2022, 11:44 am

I use a SKB double. Not made any more I think
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 19 Jun 2022, 8:58 pm

animalpest wrote:I use a SKB double. Not made any more I think

Oh yes they are. I mate ordered a new O/U a couple of years back for LH. Beautiful except for the LH part. But the sxs are good looking too.

https://www.skbshotguns.com/shotguns/250-field
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 19 Jun 2022, 9:01 pm

Today I blasted another 3 foxes with my 20G triple. But my mate brought his 12G triple and I had a good side by side comparison. The 12G is definitely bigger and heavier but still handles well. Might just have to get myself one as a backup.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 20 Jun 2022, 2:41 pm

mchughcb wrote:
animalpest wrote:I use a SKB double. Not made any more I think

Oh yes they are. I mate ordered a new O/U a couple of years back for LH. Beautiful except for the LH part. But the sxs are good looking too.

https://www.skbshotguns.com/shotguns/250-field

Thats good to hear! Love my SKB sxs
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Border_Bloke » 23 Jun 2022, 10:27 am

I always found it easier to point under & overs than side by sides, but maybe that's just me.
When was a 10 year old kid in the 1970's the local trap club would give me a Browning A5 because the recoil was lower - but I prefered U&O's.

I used to own a Barretta pump action for many years (I bought it out of the trading post in 1987 for $100) but I don't think I've ever needed more than two shots.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 23 Jun 2022, 1:32 pm

Border_Bloke wrote:I always found it easier to point under & overs than side by sides, but maybe that's just me.
When was a 10 year old kid in the 1970's the local trap club would give me a Browning A5 because the recoil was lower - but I prefered U&O's.

I used to own a Barretta pump action for many years (I bought it out of the trading post in 1987 for $100) but I don't think I've ever needed more than two shots.

Agree, the single plane of a UO is easier to point on target. But I find most UO seem to shoot high, which I find a disadvantage when hunting.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 23 Jun 2022, 2:07 pm

Triples have single sight plane.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm

Out of interest what triple barrel do you use ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 23 Jun 2022, 7:41 pm

bigpete wrote:Out of interest what triple barrel do you use ?

Specially imported 20G Charles Daly Chiappa Triple Crown.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Jun 2022, 8:12 pm

Thats what I thought.
I've been keen on the 410 version for a while
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 24 Jun 2022, 12:02 am

bigpete wrote:Thats what I thought.
I've been keen on the 410 version for a while

410 and 28G look excellent and very reasonable weights. If you contact Raytrade talkt to Kane they will do a special import.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Jun 2022, 5:54 am

Hmmm,therein lies the problem. Dealing with Raytrade. I swore I never would again after they screwed me around big time with the piece of crap chiappa double badger I ordered from them. Not keen to go through that s**t again
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 14 Aug 2022, 8:37 pm

Last week I watched somebody get a jam in their verney carron veloce after the first shot. With no second or third shot the fox was on its way. The reliability of mechanical firing and a double barrel is never really considered until you start having jams at the most critical moment.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 26 Oct 2022, 10:10 pm

Agree. You just can't beat the handling of a decent under and over or quality SxS. I love shotguning and as a kid spent lot's of time chasing rabbits with a Browning double automatic. It was a recoil operated 2 shot semi auto and a pleasure to shoot soaking up the recoil from the Winchester Bushman 34g No4's which was all the sports store in Euroa ever kept. I shoot competition down the line and use a well sorted under and over but for the field I love my Beretta 486 Parallelo straight stocked SxS as it is quick to reload and fits me perfectly.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2022, 11:17 pm

mchughcb wrote:Last week I watched somebody get a jam in their verney carron veloce after the first shot. With no second or third shot the fox was on its way. The reliability of mechanical firing and a double barrel is never really considered until you start having jams at the most critical moment.

What about inertia-cocked single-trigger doubles and triples? If they mis-fire they can't fire any more either can they?
My Stoeger Condor is supposed to be inertia hammers I think but it fires the second barrel just fine if the first doesn't fire.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 27 Oct 2022, 9:27 am

On a double barrel shotgun, both barrels are cocked when opened. The inertia when the first barrel fires takes the mechanism across to the other barrel. A misfire will not do that.

When this happens you simply push the barrel selector across to the second barrel and that is then ready to fire.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2022, 10:38 am

animalpest wrote:On a double barrel shotgun, both barrels are cocked when opened. The inertia when the first barrel fires takes the mechanism across to the other barrel. A misfire will not do that.

When this happens you simply push the barrel selector across to the second barrel and that is then ready to fire.

I'm not aware of any barrel selector on my gun, or any others I've seen. Are they common?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 27 Oct 2022, 11:39 am

Yes they are reasonably common Blade. It allows you to select which barrel ( and which choke) fires first.

If it is fitted, it will be above the trigger inside the trigger guard.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2022, 12:23 pm

animalpest wrote:Yes they are reasonably common Blade. It allows you to select which barrel ( and which choke) fires first.

If it is fitted, it will be above the trigger inside the trigger guard.

No, can't see anything in the manual and there's nothing on the gun that I can see.
As I said though, it doesn't need it as it will happily dry-fire the first barrel to let me fire the second when I want to.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Oct 2022, 5:26 pm

I dont think I've ever seen a barrel selector on a sxs.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mattraff » 07 Nov 2022, 10:20 pm

bigpete wrote:I dont think I've ever seen a barrel selector on a sxs.....

My Beretta SxS has a selector as do most all new SxS's and plenty of older guns.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 08 Nov 2022, 4:19 am

i have semi auto shot guns pumps and sxs i have used them for different things at different times my my pump is by fare the most versable i have a rifled slug barrel for it and with the right slugs it will shoot as well as any 4570 a 385 grain slug doing 2000 fps at the time i had to use shot guns in the area i was hunting.
i have also shot a lot of stuff with the old savage 311 my younger son loves the gun and has used it to hunt a lot
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Previous

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.