When you almost lose a valued member

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

When you almost lose a valued member

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2022, 12:23 pm

My suzuki jimny about a month ago. 230k on the clock, about 11 years old, have taken it everwhere in QLD. I was driving along ,smoke pouring out of the bonnet suddenly. I pulled over before the engine sized. Im no bush mechanic, in fact its safe to say if it cant be fixed with the application of a jack and a spare tire Im almost out of ideas.

Turns out it threw the crank shaft pulley. Never had it happen before but boy doesnt a whole pile of other expensive stuff go at the same time when it does? :D I bought enough bits for the mechanic to get the engine going, radiator, pulleys, pump etc. Was lining up a suzuki swift motor if it turned out the engine was dead( same size block, stepping up from 1.3litre to the hulking 1.5L of the swift!) But never needed it.

Its running again, even took it on a 10 hour round trip to charters towers and to meet one of the members on this site in Townsville last week.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: When you almost lose a valued member

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jun 2022, 1:49 pm

1.5 litre motor would have been good too if it dropped straight in. Glad you got it going. The new Jimnys are massive step up.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2022, 2:12 pm

Yeah and its a pity imho. This thing does everything its meant to and retailed for $16,990 in 2011. They added 25k to the price to turn it into another mid sized loan for metrosexuals. Also removing the last affordable true 4x4 on the market.
Last edited by mickb on 18 Jun 2022, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jun 2022, 2:16 pm

My old LJ80 was rough but cheap. Then new Jimny as much as I like it should be under $30K. For the new price now I'll go with a soft roader.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 18 Jun 2022, 2:25 pm

Mate I’d love a Jimney as a hunting rig.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 Jun 2022, 4:38 pm

Your crankshaft pulley is part of an assembly being the harmonic balancer. This is usually a bonded rubber part used to damp crankshaft harmonics. Often its failure can result in a broken crankshaft.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 18 Jun 2022, 4:49 pm

Thats not good.

My son is looking at a Jimny to compete with my Willys Jeep's off road performance :lol:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 18 Jun 2022, 4:50 pm

I've got the jimnys big brother, the escudo. Its been a great wagon not that fast on the road and driving it on the beach soft sand soon sucks the power out of it, but as a hunting wagon its the best wagon I've used. Once this thing cant go any further its time to get out and walk anyway. Mine was the 1600 model, had the usual head and block crack a few years back so put a 1500 cultus engine in it. pretty easy swap and don't really notice any real power loss. I've done the gearbox bearings on mine as well nearly 500000km on it now. Only draw back for me is its to small for me to sleep in..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jun 2022, 5:36 pm

The 1.5 would be an awesome upgrade provided the hydroscillator is compatible with the dynamic thrust multiplier.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 19 Jun 2022, 10:41 am

on_one_wheel wrote:The 1.5 would be an awesome upgrade provided the hydroscillator is compatible with the dynamic thrust multiplier.

…..and the flux capacitor?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 19 Jun 2022, 11:55 am

coupled with the rotational mobilization device make for a great combo
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 7:15 pm

northdude wrote:I've got the jimnys big brother, the escudo. Its been a great wagon not that fast on the road and driving it on the beach soft sand soon sucks the power out of it, but as a hunting wagon its the best wagon I've used. Once this thing cant go any further its time to get out and walk anyway. Mine was the 1600 model, had the usual head and block crack a few years back so put a 1500 cultus engine in it. pretty easy swap and don't really notice any real power loss. I've done the gearbox bearings on mine as well nearly 500000km on it now. Only draw back for me is its to small for me to sleep in..

nice mate I dont know much about vehicles but I will be doing the same if those thingamjigs ever fail. I drive cars until they fall over, several times.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 7:22 pm

JimTom wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:The 1.5 would be an awesome upgrade provided the hydroscillator is compatible with the dynamic thrust multiplier.

…..and the flux capacitor?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope you guys arent joking because I swear the mechanic had all these on the invoice. :wtf: :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel