Adler failure to fire

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Adler failure to fire

Post by MtnMan » 20 Jun 2022, 7:20 am

Was out hunting rabbits yesterday afternoon and my B220 failed to fire twice in a row.
If I load the chamber then the mag as normal then unload the chamber and swap out shells to change shot size or something in anticipation of a shot at say a fox where it want to change to BB shot it failed to fire.
Am I somehow uncocking it or something in the process of unloading and reloading the chamber? The hammer is back and moves forward on pulling the triiger but it doesn't fire.

After pulling the bolt back to change rounds it doesn't stay back a far as it does when opening the action on a fired and completely empty gun. You also have to close the bolt by pushing the cocking lever forward. Pushing the button to close the action just shoots ammo out the mag tube.

Later on I did seemingly did the same procedure and it fired.
What am I doing wrong?
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Adler failure to fire

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 6:56 am

I know this is a bit late . I don't know the Adler but it sounds to me like rough machining , burs or swarf is stopping it locking up properly and that may be stopping the firing pin fall even if the hammer falls . If it's under warranty take it back and get it looked at. If it's well out of warranty pull it apart and clean everything watching out for burs or really tight fitting parts . It will have some kind of locking bolt or ramp lug system that locks into usually the barrel extension . Make sure it all looks smooth and able to mate fully . Another thing is , is the bolt return spring strong enough and or not broken , it's inside the stock . Are you using reloads ? If so make sure you are sizing right down hard onto the shell rim so cases chamber fully . You did say when changing ammo it failed to fire . When you have the barrel out drop some unfired shells into the chamber and see how well they slide in and that the rim beds down fully. If any shell looks like it is sitting a bit proud of the others then that could be a problem if the return spring does not have the power to jam the shell in . Try some different brands of ammo . Once you get it all cleaned and inspected dust the action parts in Moly powder and reassemble everything . Give the action a good work out back and forth to see if the action locks up each return .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.