3D printing legality?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

3D printing legality?

Post by S O K A R » 13 Jun 2022, 1:28 am

So I wasn't really sure which section to post this in
Basically, is it legal to 3D print a rifle chassis?
I know its obviously illegal to print working firearm parts, but couldn't find anything relating to the chassis?

Looking for a chassis for an action I have, can't find anything to my liking hence the question
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: 3D printing legality?

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2022, 4:18 am

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Jun 2022, 8:13 am

The strength in 3d printed chairs will be in one direction but not the other. So while you may be able to withstand kickback.... if the rifle drops the chassis will snap.

Secondly a lot of work will need to be done for clearance

But mainly production of any firearm part in many states without the necessary permits is illegal
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2022, 1:41 pm

S O K A R wrote:So I wasn't really sure which section to post this in
I know its obviously illegal to print working firearm parts, but couldn't find anything relating to the chassis?

Looking for a chassis for an action I have, can't find anything to my liking hence the question

No idea on the legals as some states are starting to use the term "3D printing" in their legislation, generally to prohibit it.
But I've seen in the US that they're doing 3D metal printing, so anything is possible nowadays.

I built my own chassis out of common aluminium extrusions, still with the Bunnings bar codes on them. When I get around to building another one I'll use a commercial chassis as the basis of it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Jun 2022, 2:10 pm

S O K A R wrote:So I wasn't really sure which section to post this in

Its not illegal in Victoria, you would have to check your state laws.

I 3d printed the foregrip, pistol grip and cheek piece for my little badger

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Jun 2022, 2:43 pm

This guy in NZ prints Norinco jw15 chassis's

https://www.vtp.co.nz/product/norinco-jw15-chassis/31

Take down version

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by roadblock » 26 Jun 2022, 7:44 am

Southern cross small arms has some 3d print files for accessories for their chassis systems on their website. If you don't need a license to buy / own it, then there should be no reason that you can't 3d print it. Obviously there's copyright issues if you then start selling them.

*these are opinions only and not based on interpretation of state and federal laws
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing