Benelli 828

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Benelli 828

Post by Shootermick » 11 Jul 2022, 6:13 pm

Handled a Benelli 828U at a shop today.
Nice, light, a bit modern looking.
Anyone here got one? I was tempted to update my current under/over on one of these. But I better resist the impulse buy and put some proper thought into it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Benelli 828

Post by solarpak » 11 Jul 2022, 9:50 pm

Mick,
all depends if Benelli are still making them .......Beretta Holdings - who own Benelli, Franchi and a few other companies have been real pro-active in recent years with some great designs in both shotguns and rifles.
The 828 is a excellent design - but i don't know how it would stand up to high volume shooting??
Personally stick with a 680-series Beretta or Browning / Miroku O/U - both these makes have stood the test of time and are easily serviced and repaired if they go wrong.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 11 Jul 2022, 10:14 pm

solarpak wrote:Mick,
all depends if Benelli are still making them .......Beretta Holdings - who own Benelli, Franchi and a few other companies have been real pro-active in recent years with some great designs in both shotguns and rifles.
The 828 is a excellent design - but i don't know how it would stand up to high volume shooting??
Personally stick with a 680-series Beretta or Browning / Miroku O/U - both these makes have stood the test of time and are easily serviced and repaired if they go wrong.

C.

The design looked good, but I would be worried about some of the new features and just how well they might hold up over time.
So I think you’re right, go with a proven design and stick to one of the brands known for good under and overs.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 12 Jul 2022, 12:23 am

Shootermick wrote:Handled a Benelli 828U at a shop today.
Anyone here got one? I was tempted to update my current under/over on one of these. But I better resist the impulse buy and put some proper thought into it.

I love the benelli 828U field and the sporter is meant to he better.

The only thing people and I know a few complain about is the recoil when shooting clays.

There is no free lunch, light weight= recoil

Also the rib it always seems to be loose.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 12 Jul 2022, 8:15 am

mchughcb wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Handled a Benelli 828U at a shop today.

I love the benelli 828U field and the sporter is meant to he better.

The only thing people and I know a few complain about is the recoil when shooting clays.

There is no free lunch, light weight= recoil

Also the rib it always seems to be loose.

The one I picked up wasn’t the sporter model either, which is a bit heavier. I think it comes with weights you can add or remove in the buttstock til you get it to your liking.
The rib coming loose seems like a problem though.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 12 Jul 2022, 8:24 am

Not sure. It's either designed that way or a design problem but either way I don't like it
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.