Best pistol to buy in 9mm.

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Best pistol to buy in 9mm.

Post by Sockeye » 13 Jul 2022, 9:39 pm

First pistol. The price is generally not an issue.

What do I buy?
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Best pistol to buy in 9mm.

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Jul 2022, 10:02 pm

Glock 22. Then you can regret not buying a CZ. Almost as good as a Hi-Power. Still prefer my 1911, though. And so it will go on, from everyone who answers your question as it is very much the same as asking "which beer should I drink".Get around a bit and try to handle a bunch of types to see if one will feel good in your hand, then shoot a few to see if one shoots really well for you, in that I like the feel of my Beretta 92FS but I can't shoot the bugger at all, constantly low and 30 to 40 points less than the 1911. When you do select one shoot it often as time behind the trigger means everything, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 13 Jul 2022, 10:20 pm

Stoeger STR-9...

What will you be shooting? Most people swear by the CZ Shadow 2.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jul 2022, 12:46 am

Personally I shoot hammer fired pistols better and overall prefer metal framed pistols to shoot.

To carry, striker fired modern polymer pistols are better.

First pistol I owned was the standard Glock 17. Glocks are good to start with as they go together like legos and are very simple and straightforward with plenty of upgrades available. After I shot my Glock in competition for a few years, I started to out grow it. You realize they are very competent service pistols and reliable, but lack some of the finer details that can be improved for competition use. A better mag well, a better trigger, better sights, better slide release, etc.

The next pistol on my shopping list is a Springfield Hi Power, but I have yet to see one in person in any gun store.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sockeye » 14 Jul 2022, 6:10 am

Thanks.

At this point no specific discipline to shoot so open to pretty much anything.

Since we don't carry in OZ, the weight and size have no real life significance for me. So full sized metal pistol is fine.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Over The Hill » 14 Jul 2022, 10:55 am

CZ SP01 for me, cant beat a full size, steel, hammer fired 9mm
I put coutless thousands of rounds through mine and it never missed a beat including my dirty practice handloads. With the rubber grips it sat in my hand perfectly and stuck like glue. Good controls, great sights and even has the rails if you like hanging lights and lasers etc
Last edited by Over The Hill on 15 Jul 2022, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2022, 11:11 am

Sockeye wrote:First pistol. The price is generally not an issue.

What do I buy?

The "best" for you is going to come down to which one you most enjoy shooting.
In semi-auto, the CZ75/85 and their clones are excellent. But now that we're restricted to 10rd mags there's no great advantage to double-stack designs. The Colt 1911 and its clones is a very nice design, fitting nicely in the hand due to the narrow grip, and it comes it a variety of chamberings, including .22LR. You may find it advantageous to have the same platform in .22LR as your 9mm or .38Super comp pistol as it lets you do a lot more practicing for less money. You could also get one in .45ACP and do Silhouette or that Cowboy class they do now.

And don't forget the revolvers, they can be a ton of fun, even in IPSC competition.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jul 2022, 11:53 am

Sockeye wrote:Thanks.

At this point no specific discipline to shoot so open to pretty much anything.

Since we don't carry in OZ, the weight and size have no real life significance for me. So full sized metal pistol is fine.

If size and weight is no concern, you can't go wrong with any of the Sig P220 series, the 220, 226 or 227.

The Beretta 92 series, I have shot plenty over the years. Do not currently own one but they can be fine. People either seem to love or hate em though.

If you want to go steel frame with a striker instead of a hammer, the Walther Q4 and Q5 are very nice, solid, accurate pistols.

The CZ 75 line of pistols, I don't have much experience with, like the Beretta though, some people love em, some not so much.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rwd22 » 14 Jul 2022, 3:41 pm

I work part time in a Gunshop and my forte is handguns. There's a particular few that everyone walks in asking for (New handgun shooters anyway)
Glock 17A
Beretta 92
Sig M9A4

All fine handguns in their own right, but as you mentioned, we can't carry, so polymer/service type pistols don't have much of a place here, in my mind (Unless your employment requires you to be armed). I am a CZ fan boy predominantly, but also own 1911's, revolvers and target style 22lr's. Most people comment on the weight of the CZ's, but that's a positive when it comes to target shooting, a pistol that's nearly twice the weight soaks up recoil ALOT better.

Biggest advice would be shoot everything your club has to offer and pick something that is steel frame, providing that feels comfortable to shoot, if your club doesn't have a large range of pistols, maybe check out some other clubs around the place. I shot just about every club gun I could, plus other members guns before arriving at the decision to purchase a CZ Shadow 2.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sockeye » 14 Jul 2022, 8:57 pm

Thank you all. Fantastic inputs.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Grumpy » 14 Jul 2022, 10:37 pm

I have both a striker & hammer fired pistol, CZ Shadow 1 & Walther Q5. The CZ would probably be my preference. I like the weight & it’s a tac driver. The Walther is a great gun, but I find CZ suits my large hands better. The Mrs prefers the Walther as it fits her smaller hands better.
Like others have said, take every opportunity to try everything that you can.
Attachments
68B39796-0019-4B59-8EA4-3AFFF854FAB7.jpeg
68B39796-0019-4B59-8EA4-3AFFF854FAB7.jpeg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 8594 times
0BDB4375-581B-4D22-BCBD-744776E438C2.jpeg
0BDB4375-581B-4D22-BCBD-744776E438C2.jpeg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 8594 times
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by b066y » 15 Jul 2022, 2:49 pm

Is it true the CZ Shadow 2 is more fussy in terms of ammo whereas the beretta fs or glock aren't?

I used to think a gun could reliably fire any ammo as long as it was the right caliber but I've been recently disabused of this notion as another gun I have constantly jams on a different brand ammo.
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by jwai86 » 15 Jul 2022, 2:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:The "best" for you is going to come down to which one you most enjoy shooting.
In semi-auto, the CZ75/85 and their clones are excellent. But now that we're restricted to 10rd mags there's no great advantage to double-stack designs. The Colt 1911 and its clones is a very nice design, fitting nicely in the hand due to the narrow grip, and it comes it a variety of chamberings, including .22LR.

As much as double stack designs are much of a muchness with 10 round limits, there are very few single stack handguns available in Australia if you want something other than a 1911.

The only other alternative I've seen within Australia is the Walther P38 or P1, but I've never heard of either being used for serious competitive shooting.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 15 Jul 2022, 3:34 pm

I think it is good advice to choose a metal frame pistol for your first. Since money is no object, I would go with an optics ready CZ Shadow 2 in case you want to fit a red dot later.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2022, 3:37 pm

b066y wrote:Is it true the CZ Shadow 2 is more fussy in terms of ammo whereas the beretta fs or glock aren't?

I used to think a gun could reliably fire any ammo as long as it was the right caliber but I've been recently disabused of this notion as another gun I have constantly jams on a different brand ammo.

All semi-auto (and full-auto) firearms need the ammo to operate within a specific region of pressure and recoil, so yes, they are more "fussy" than a manually-operated firearm - but some designs are more tolerant.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2022, 3:48 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:The "best" for you is going to come down to which one you most enjoy shooting.
In semi-auto, the CZ75/85 and their clones are excellent. But now that we're restricted to 10rd mags there's no great advantage to double-stack designs. The Colt 1911 and its clones is a very nice design, fitting nicely in the hand due to the narrow grip, and it comes it a variety of chamberings, including .22LR.

As much as double stack designs are much of a muchness with 10 round limits, there are very few single stack handguns available in Australia if you want something other than a 1911.

The only other alternative I've seen within Australia is the Walther P38 or P1, but I've never heard of either being used for serious competitive shooting.

Yes, that is annoying. He did say price wasn't really an issue so that does open up the option of importing something, like the excellent Sig P210. I had a look at a beautiful Luger a few months ago, but it would need a longer barrel to qualify for sporting use. Modern single-stack designs tend to be aimed at concealed carry, making them too small for our laws (except on a collector's licence).

I did IPSC for thirteen years but I had zero interest in competition shooting, I just enjoy shooting and the only way we can enjoy pistol shooting is through competition, so I had to do some competitions - even did some state (and I think national) comps.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rwd22 » 15 Jul 2022, 4:05 pm

b066y wrote:Is it true the CZ Shadow 2 is more fussy in terms of ammo whereas the beretta fs or glock aren't?

Service type pistols are always going to have a generous chamber, optimised to run in adverse conditions with ammunition that may not always be in perfect condition.

I have had very few factory rounds not chamber in any of my CZ's, generally the ones that wouldn't chamber have a larger diameter towards the base of the case, for whatever reason. Generally only run into this issue when using the cheap bulk type ammo.

The single biggest benefit for any double stack magazine design gun, regardless of actual magazine capacity, is the overall grip width/size. Generally people with larger hands shoot better with double stacked mag guns, large hands or long fingers on single stack guns can be a little problematic depending on your style of grip, I find that my support hand starts to impede on my trigger finger slighty on the smaller framed guns.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 15 Jul 2022, 7:21 pm

Sockeye wrote:First pistol. The price is generally not an issue.

What do I buy?

Well, depends on what your shooting.
If price is not an issue a Laugo alien is the most advanced pistol made on the market, nothing comes close, they have perfect bore axis with your hand thanks to the upside down gas piston design and sights/red-dot on them do not reciprocate with the slide. Your paying boutique pistol money but.

Otherwise I guess you can be and look like everyone else with a Shadow 2 or some sort of 1911 clone, Korth do some nice ones ;)
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 15 Jul 2022, 8:24 pm

wanneroo wrote:The next pistol on my shopping list is a Springfield Hi Power, but I have yet to see one in person in any gun store.

Also waiting here, I know the frames are made in Turkey - Guessing they are having production issues, plenty of their 1911's in stock for sale here.
Would buy one tomorrow otherwise.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jul 2022, 12:19 am

Having talked to the CZ guys in the past at competitions, it would seem they like 9mm with a shorter OAL. It's not uncommon to run into this with Walther pistols as well. I had heard it previously from Walther shooters and discovered it myself with mine.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jul 2022, 12:25 am

dnedative wrote:
wanneroo wrote:The next pistol on my shopping list is a Springfield Hi Power, but I have yet to see one in person in any gun store.

Also waiting here, I know the frames are made in Turkey - Guessing they are having production issues, plenty of their 1911's in stock for sale here.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I do know demand is high for them as Springfield basically made the Hi Power everyone wanted at a reasonable price. I do know a few people in my state that have got one, but I simply have not seen one yet in person in the gun stores.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sockeye » 16 Jul 2022, 5:45 pm

Given that this is what we get issued in Defence, it is good to be intimately familiar with one in civi life. On another hand, I don’t want to feel like I am working at all times. So this probably would not be the first choice for me.

dnedative wrote:

Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Sockeye » 16 Jul 2022, 5:50 pm

So far so good. Nearly time to apply for PTA.

So far the choice is between Shadow 2 and SIG LEGION P226 SAO.

No way I can have a shooting session with them side by side so i have no choice but rely on reviews and personal opinions.
Last edited by Sockeye on 16 Jul 2022, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by snag » 16 Jul 2022, 5:54 pm

My first handgun was a CZShadow 2 and I have never regreted it. I've bought several other pistols since and shot many more - nothing comes close. Makes an average shooter (me) look good and doesn't really care what I feed it, but it does prefer my reloads to factory.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 16 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm

Sockeye wrote:Given that this is what we get issued in Defence, it is good to be intimately familiar with one in civi life. On another hand, I don’t want to feel like I am working at all times. So this probably would not be the first choice for me.

Yeah but the ones the ADF have have been f***ing ruined by the French and have been run hard and put away wet for a long time;
The French were dead keen on them back in the day but demanded Browning put in a mag disconnect, they never ended up adopting it (went with their own ****** pistol design because they were too proud/stupid to admit a non French design was better) and Browning unfortunately never f***ed off the magazine disconnect so they all have f***ing rubbish triggers.

Its an easy fix to get rid of it, but I imagine its a decent stint in the chokey when they catch you ;)

Good service pistols if you dont want a 1911; Not a good match gun but.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 17 Jul 2022, 12:01 am

Isn't the ADF switching over to the Glock 17?
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sockeye » 17 Jul 2022, 5:48 am

wanneroo wrote:Isn't the ADF switching over to the Glock 17?

They are already in Air Force with flight crews, but not the Army. Nothing official.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Jul 2022, 9:19 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Glock 22. Then you can regret not buying a CZ. Almost as good as a Hi-Power. Still prefer my 1911, though. And so it will go on, from everyone who answers your question as it is very much the same as asking "which beer should I drink".Get around a bit and try to handle a bunch of types to see if one will feel good in your hand, then shoot a few to see if one shoots really well for you, in that I like the feel of my Beretta 92FS but I can't shoot the bugger at all, constantly low and 30 to 40 points less than the 1911. When you do select one shoot it often as time behind the trigger means everything, Cheers.

The Glock 22 is .40S&W not 9mm, I think No1Mk3 meant a .22LR Glock (which isn't 9mm either). I had to replace mine when the calibre restrictions came in. I've used a Glock in 9mm ever since with zero issues and it shoots better than I can. Plus 1 on "...handle a bunch...shoot a few..." Find what works for you. A 1911 would be high on my list if the calibre restrictions ever got wound back - I can dream.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by rc42 » 17 Jul 2022, 9:31 pm

This question is very much like "what is the best car to buy?" it's too vague to really get specific advice.

If a particular shooting discipline can't be defined then a general purpose 9mm pistol could be any one from a large range of options and they'll all do the job well enough
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 21 Jul 2022, 6:18 pm

wanneroo wrote:The Beretta 92 series, I have shot plenty over the years. Do not currently own one but they can be fine. People either seem to love or hate em though.

The Beretta 92 series doesn't seem that popular in Australia given how often people try to get rid of them on the local used market.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers