Issues with browning 725 pro sport rusting

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Issues with browning 725 pro sport rusting

Post by jimboslice » 13 Jul 2022, 6:21 pm

Hi, can anyone provide any insight into how I can better protect my gun from rusting. Obviously there is cleaning it after every use and wiping it over, however it seems that if I miss any spots I end up finding rust there a week or two later.

Personally I used to clean my gun every time/ every second time I go to the range, cleaning and lubricating the barrels/action and wiping all the metal over with g96 on a rag. I also store my shotgun in its hardcase, in my safe with like 10 silicon packets spread around. However, a few months ago I didn't clean it after shooting once, then got busy and didn't use my gun again for a month and came back to discover the barrels were covered in surface rust.

Since then I am now cleaning it after every use, however I am noticing more rust is starting to appear if I miss a spot doing my final wipe with g96. First on the top lever and most recently on tiny sides of my forend latch which caused it to get stuck and I had to lever it to get it to budge.

I have read other threads talking about how often people clean their guns and it ranges from every time to every second or third and even the rare person saying never. Which now just seems to be an impossible option for me. Honestly it seems like it must be some common grade steel that browning has used for it to rust this easily.

Does anyone have any pointers? Would something like a heat lamp in the safe help or using a gun oil instead of g96? I also have gun socks but do not currently use them, would it make any difference to use these?

Thanks
jimboslice
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Issues with browning 725 pro sport rusting

Post by JohnV » 13 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm

Ok what else do you have inside your safe . If there is anything that can hold moisture , leather goods , boots . clothing , gun bags etc. get it out .
G96 is a very thin oil that runs off and evaporates quickly . Stop using it . Get a shaving brush and cut the bristles down a bit and after you remove any rust with fine steel wool and oil , then wipe off the oil and brush bearing grease all over the metalwork in a very thin layer and get into all the screw heads and nooks and crannies around scope mounts but stay away from the scope turrets and body and lenses . That way the fine layer of grease stays put and does not evaporate or run off into your bedding and stock and can ruin the bedding over time and rot wood . Also make sure that if you get the gun wet , if you can remove the stock and dry it all off with a hair dryer and lightly grease underneath , very lightly . If you can't remove the stock like on a Pro sport shotgun take it inside in the warm and heat the metalwork up a bit with a hair drier and let it sit and dry out before cleaning , greasing and putting in the safe . I bet there is other stuff in your safe that's putting out moisture or the safe is in a moist area . Make sure the shotgun case is well dried out .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jul 2022, 8:20 am

Take it to a good gun dealer and get the barrel cerakoted. Will last forever.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2022, 11:02 am

Your silica gell packets may be already waterlogged from the Qld humidity so take them out once a month and put them in a low heat oven for 20 minutes with the door open and dry them out .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 14 Jul 2022, 2:18 pm

If you are storing your shottie in a gun case, then there will be moisture in the foam.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2022, 7:12 pm

animalpest wrote:If you are storing your shottie in a gun case, then there will be moisture in the foam.

I tend to agree . You think it's all dry but it's not really . I just opened my safe and did an inspection of some of my guns that have not been out of the gun bags for years . No rust what so ever inside or out , thin grease layer applied with a short stiff brush and a loose patches inside the bore and chamber has done a mighty job . However one stock had some white mold on it and inside two of the bags there was some small patches of grey to white mould on the inside cloth . No negative effect on the guns . So as far as I am concerned nothing beats a thin layer of grease without going too expensive high tech coatings or expensive brand name gun oils . A tub of high temp bearing grease and a few bottles of singer sewing machine oil , a roll of chux toweling and your set .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 15 Jul 2022, 3:28 pm

Just finished my last gun a 223 Howa that has used moly coated bullets since new and no rust anywhere . Bore looks like new . This gun has not been fired since before covid hit . The bore was given a real good scrub and patch out before applying grease inside the bore , chamber and on the metalwork . So this vindicates once again that Moly does not harm the bore as long as you clean well and lubricate well before storage .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.