Rossi 92 spring kit

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rossi 92 spring kit

Post by Diamond Jim » 20 Jul 2022, 1:52 am

I put a spring kit in my Rossi 92 (1980s vintage) and was amazed by how it totally transformed the gun. On my recommendation, a buddy bought the same kit but his rifle refuses to fire with the reduced power hammer spring. He's had it apart several times, cleaned, lubed everything, changed one spring at a time and even manufactured a bushing to put extra compression on the (new) hammer spring without success. Change back to the factory spring and it functions fine. He's using the same ammo as me (tested with my loads), we bought the rifles at the same time. The only thing I can think of is that his firing pin may not protrude as far as mine - if so, we are talking small fractions of a millimetre. Any thoughts?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Rossi 92 spring kit

Post by in2anity » 20 Jul 2022, 11:32 am

I do know that indeed firing pin protrusion is indeed unique to each individual rifle. Some milsurp guys have trouble with certain rifles in this area, others don't. Unfortunately for you mate, it's largely luck of the draw. Particularly with older guns and designs, each rifle is different. There's also a lot more slop in a 92 compared with a modern bolt gun. Sorry I realize this it not much help.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 20 Jul 2022, 4:11 pm

Maybe a short firing pin or a slight headspace issue which shows up with the light spring.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jul 2022, 4:32 pm

Can he modify slightly the old spring to get a compromise? I’m just stabbing in the dark def no expert
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 20 Jul 2022, 8:17 pm

There is not much to the hammer spring on a Rossi;
He hasnt done something with the stupid safety they put on them?
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 20 Jul 2022, 8:28 pm

dnedative wrote:There is not much to the hammer spring on a Rossi;
He hasnt done something with the stupid safety they put on them?

No, our rifles date from the 1980s before they added the hideous safety catch.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by dnedative » 22 Jul 2022, 6:36 pm

Possible he got a dud spring?
If you hold the trigger down and just thumb the hammer up and let it drop whats it like going up and down?
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 23 Jul 2022, 10:13 pm

dnedative wrote:Possible he got a dud spring?
If you hold the trigger down and just thumb the hammer up and let it drop whats it like going up and down?

Feels smooth - no binding or such. Although the rifle is nearly 40 years old, it hasn't done much work and was still pretty tight compared to mine. As I say, everything seems to cycle and lock up as normal and if he reverts to the factory hammer spring it functions fine. It just won't fire with the reduced power spring. It's doing my head in!
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by dnedative » 24 Jul 2022, 8:29 pm

If everything looks fine try swapping your springs, its possible the one he has is too soft.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Aug 2022, 2:01 am

dnedative wrote:If everything looks fine try swapping your springs, its possible the one he has is too soft.

Good suggestion. That will be the next move. Thanks
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wrangler » 25 Sep 2022, 10:06 pm

Are you using factory ammo or handloads?
If handloads, rifle or pistol primers? Pistol primers are softer (more sensitive) maybe try that
IF you can get any.
Wrangler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 26 Sep 2022, 6:23 am

I fitted Gunslinger spring kits to a couple of Rossi '92s a few years back, one misfired and original firing pin spring re-fitted, the other worked fine and trigger function / feel was pretty much the same for both rifles.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing