22 Hornet options

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

22 Hornet options

Post by Grillin » 31 Jul 2022, 7:22 pm

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a .22 hornet for pest eradication on smaller land parcels where neighbours being annoyed by noise is a concern. (mostly 40-50 acre blocks)
I'd like to fill the gap between .22/.22wmr/243 and I think this little cartridge might be just the ticket. However it seems that every new rifle chambered for the hornet seems to have a 90 degree bolt throw which really puts me off the idea - Having watched a few videos of how the bolt handle comes so close to the optic it just doesn't sit right with me. Can anyone suggest a hornet that doesn't?

Cheers for any advice!
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet options

Post by northdude » 03 Aug 2022, 5:06 am

Might have to look at second hand. Ive got 3 a h&r single shot a krico and a browning. Maybe a brno might be worth looking at. Youll get the best out of a hornet if you handload. Some one will be along shortly telling you to download a 223. How about a 22mag
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 03 Aug 2022, 5:08 am

Cool little caliber it has even been used on deer over here.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 03 Aug 2022, 5:52 am

Grillin wrote:Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a .22 hornet for pest eradication on smaller land parcels where neighbours being annoyed by noise is a concern. (mostly 40-50 acre blocks)
I'd like to fill the gap between .22/.22wmr/243 and I think this little cartridge might be just the ticket. However it seems that every new rifle chambered for the hornet seems to have a 90 degree bolt throw which really puts me off the idea - Having watched a few videos of how the bolt handle comes so close to the optic it just doesn't sit right with me. Can anyone suggest a hornet that doesn't?

Cheers for any advice!

I’ve played with a few hornets, single shot martini allow you to seat ballistic tip projectiles out without having to deal with short magazine lengths. Krico and weihrauch rifles have short bolt throw and excellent triggers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Aug 2022, 6:04 am

Grillin wrote:Hi guys,

Cheers for any advice!

I think it generally just means having to mount the scope a little higher if it has a large ocular housing, which might require raising the comb a similar amount. Or use a scope with a smaller ocular, like the Redfield or Leupold 3-9x32, or a fixed 6- or 8-power. People have used the European rifles for decades with the scopes mounted higher to clear the bolt so I doubt it's a really significant issue.

The new CZ600 is supposed to be a 60-degree design, but I don't know if they're available here - they have just had a recall for barrel issues so make sure to check that if you do find one.
The Browning A-Bolt is a 60-degree throw if you can find one of those.

If you go to the .223 you open up your choices significantly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Aug 2022, 7:37 am

It is a great little round and I have owned several over the years. You have not said that you need a repeater so if bolt throw is your issue , what about a martini? There are a few on Used Guns ATM.
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Grillin » 03 Aug 2022, 9:43 am

Some great feedback here, much appreciated. It looks like a bit of patient shopping around 2nd hand would be the best option if i set my heart on a 60 degree. From what I can see in my searches of the better known gun shops they don't stock a huge range of hornets.

In saying that I won't close my mind to a 90deg if i feel it's a good fit - as bladeracer said they've been around for yonks without major issues.

The idea of having another krico in the safe certainly appeals though, that's what my wmr is :thumbsup:
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2022, 10:08 am

What about a 45-70 and down load it to a squib load with trail boss.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :friends: :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 03 Aug 2022, 11:02 am

Or just down load 50 bmg. How do they go with trail boss
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 03 Aug 2022, 12:29 pm

Grillin wrote:Some great feedback here, much appreciated. It looks like a bit of patient shopping around 2nd hand would be the best option if i set my heart on a 60 degree. From what I can see in my searches of the better known gun shops they don't stock a huge range of hornets.

In saying that I won't close my mind to a 90deg if i feel it's a good fit - as bladeracer said they've been around for yonks without major issues.

The idea of having another krico in the safe certainly appeals though, that's what my wmr is :thumbsup:

I had a early krico in 22 hornet that was rebarreled with a heavy barrel by swans. Was a absolute tack driver with lil’ gun powder. Seriously one hole groups at 100. The biggest problem at the moment is trying to get powder for the hornet. Ya can’t get win 296 or lil’ gun anymore, and ar2205 is unobtainable unless you pay the stupid prices online scalpers are demanding . I got out of hornet rifles as I didn’t get the use out of it . Lovely little round though
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 22Whorenut » 03 Aug 2022, 1:00 pm

Anschutz make a low lift 22 Hornet based on the Model 54 target action. Strong enough as the same action runs .222 Rem.
There is one currently advertised with scope for $900, and I am being seriously tempted. I would consider it a favour if you were to buy it!
Marcus.
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Grillin » 03 Aug 2022, 1:14 pm

Well I'd be tempted to do you a favour and buy it if it's in good nick! Got a link mate?
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 22Whorenut » 03 Aug 2022, 1:23 pm

Bugger….. it has been sold. Only two of possible interest is a well priced Krico
https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/38210

And a neat looking Martini
https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/38277

Beware…. If you start down the Hornet road…..it can be a bit addicting.
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Grillin » 03 Aug 2022, 4:46 pm

Well I know what I'm doing on Saturday. Making a call about that Krico :D
Good spotting!
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm

Grillin wrote:Well I know what I'm doing on Saturday. Making a call about that Krico :D
Good spotting!

i'd get onto it quicker than that , old krico's are getting collectable . the one your looking is the same model as the one i had . they have a seriously good trigger . krico was bought out in the 90's by air gun maker , weihrauch, and sold under that name now . the same early action is still in production :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grillin » 03 Aug 2022, 5:59 pm

Yeah I've hurried up and sent an inquiry to the seller! It looks a hell of a lot like my 22wmr, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't of a very similar vintage.
Interesting fact that they were bought by weihrauch, that I didn't know.
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 22Whorenut » 03 Aug 2022, 6:03 pm

I hope it goes well for you Griffin! Always good to have another Hornet fan.
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Billo » 03 Aug 2022, 9:16 pm

bigrich wrote:
Grillin wrote:Some great feedback here, much appreciated. It looks like a bit of patient shopping around 2nd hand would be the best option if i set my heart on a 60 degree. From what I can see in my searches of the better known gun shops they don't stock a huge range of hornets.

I had a early krico in 22 hornet that was rebarreled with a heavy barrel by swans. Was a absolute tack driver with lil’ gun powder. Seriously one hole groups at 100. The biggest problem at the moment is trying to get powder for the hornet. Ya can’t get win 296 or lil’ gun anymore, and ar2205 is unobtainable unless you pay the stupid prices online scalpers are demanding . I got out of hornet rifles as I didn’t get the use out of it . Lovely little round though

I just sold off my 296 and Lil Gun last week cause Alliant reloder Power Pro 300 MP is a better powder and available thru NIOA. Obviously a hard to get powder down south but if I order it usually shows up in a few months. :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grillin » 15 Aug 2022, 4:36 pm

Minor Update: The Krico is sold. To me :thumbsup:
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Billo » 15 Aug 2022, 5:19 pm

Well done Grillin grab yaself some S&B loaded ammo and away you go :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 15 Aug 2022, 5:20 pm

:thumbsup:
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by 22Whorenut » 15 Aug 2022, 7:31 pm

Another one to the 22 Hornet fold! Well done Griffin!
Let me know if you are going to hand load. There are a couple of things I have learnt from other people that seem to really make a difference.
Marcus.
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Grillin » 16 Aug 2022, 4:27 pm

Cheers guys, I'm sure It will be a pleasure to shoot. And Marcus I haven't got into reloading yet but it's certainly of interest to me - I'll certainly have questions when that day comes!
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by northdude » 16 Aug 2022, 4:49 pm

Is it a twin trigger one
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Grillin » 16 Aug 2022, 5:00 pm

No it's a single trigger. Seller assures me it's pretty damn crisp though.
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by vicfox » 31 Oct 2022, 1:46 pm

How has that new to you Krico Hornet working out for you ?
vicfox
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by northdude » 01 Nov 2022, 5:30 am

Id be interested to know as well
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 01 Nov 2022, 7:32 am

Me too
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grillin » 01 Nov 2022, 3:11 pm

I'm quite enamored with it actually! Unfortunately I've had little time lately to do much shooting with it - but what little I've done has Impressed me. It shoots as accurate as I am capable anyhow :lol:
In the end I feel it was the right choice for the work I want to do with it. Will definately give an update when I've got time to put it to work a little more.
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by northdude » 01 Nov 2022, 4:09 pm

good to hear its a great little caliber if you work within its capability's
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand