What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bigpete » 30 Jul 2022, 7:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Looks good.
Did you made the knife too? Got a pic?

No,just a cheap ebay drop point that took my fancy
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Aug 2022, 7:08 pm

Painted my air rifle with black, high gloss enamel in the am and had part of the nail on my left big toe removed. No more ingrown toenail........................not on that foot anyway :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Painted my air rifle with black, high gloss enamel in the am and had part of the nail on my left big toe removed. No more ingrown toenail........................not on that foot anyway :D

I had both of my big toe nails removed when I was fourteen. The nails never grow back but the roots do. I have to pull them out a few times a year when they get too sore.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 09 Aug 2022, 8:48 am

bladeracer wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Painted my air rifle with black, high gloss enamel in the am and had part of the nail on my left big toe removed. No more ingrown toenail........................not on that foot anyway :D

I had both of my big toe nails removed when I was fourteen. The nails never grow back but the roots do. I have to pull them out a few times a year when they get too sore.
AAAAaaaaarrghh! :shock:

I hope that I have good news for you, bladeracer. The podiatrist drenched the root of my nail with an acid that stops growth forever. The procedure is called a Partial Nail Avulsion and he never said anything about the roots growing back Soo, I assume that I won't have a root problem either. Might be worth checking out :unknown:
Good Luck :) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Aug 2022, 4:58 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

AAAAaaaaarrghh! :shock:

I hope that I have good news for you, bladeracer. The podiatrist drenched the root of my nail with an acid that stops growth forever. The procedure is called a Partial Nail Avulsion and he never said anything about the roots growing back Soo, I assume that I won't have a root problem either. Might be worth checking out :unknown:
Good Luck :) :thumbsup:

Interesting, I'll have to ask the doctor next time I see her.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Aug 2022, 5:55 pm

I've had the Ruger Precision Rimfire out this week for some longer-range practicing. We've actually had a few days of very little wind which was a nice change. But I noticed when I got back from the cows that the wind was howling, so I went up to try hurling bullets into it see what I might be able to learn :-)
20220819_110013b.jpg
20220819_110013b.jpg (280.9 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

I walked up dropping 120mm gongs randomly in the paddock, but when I lased them afterwards they happened to be 94m, 119m, 151m, 179m, and I put a 150mm gong at 201m.
20220819_115021b.jpg
20220819_115021b.jpg (281.45 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

Wind was from 3 o'clock. I forgot my wind meter but I was holding between five and ten minutes of wind. I found the 150m to be the least difficult to hit, and the 180m became easier when I noticed that my wind hold put the tip of the duplex post onto a little tuft of weed in the background. Trying to imagine a crosshair by dropping imaginary lines down for windage and across for elevation is far less precise than being able to hold on a fixed point. I started with the bipod but folded it up and just shot off my elbows - it helped that I wasn't actually standing in the wind. To get a photo through the scope I set the rifle up in the MTM rest.
RPR .22LR 180m hold.jpg
RPR .22LR 180m hold.jpg (325.67 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

I could hear the dings at 94m and 120m, but by 150m the sound was being lost in the wind. With the iron sights, the 94m wasn't too bad as I just left a gap the width of the front sight post between the sight and the right edge of the gong, and held level with the top of it. At 120m I could make hits but not reliably - I'll have to check on paper if I can even hold a 120mm group at 120m in perfect conditions. Past 150m I doubt I made any hits with the irons, I couldn't hear them and I couldn't see the gong move without magnification. I use the irons under the scope but I'm not quick enough to move to the scope view before the bullet hits :-)

Was very frustrating initially, but once I got a feel for the wind it was a lot of fun :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 19 Aug 2022, 9:49 pm

20220819_211655.jpg
20220819_211655.jpg (351.13 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

Took an old friend out of retirement and this was my first group at 10m. I've had this bow since I was 18,its travelled around a fair bit of this country with me,and taken hundreds of animals. Might have to take a few more with her yet
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 21 Aug 2022, 2:51 pm

Gave my new Promatic Pidgeon clay thrower it’s maiden run. Good solid little thrower for $850. Pretty happy with my purchase, better than the old foot operated manual one I have.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by WilMacHit » 21 Aug 2022, 4:24 pm

Took my brand new Ruger precision rimfir down to ssaa springvale, got her sighted in, and tried 6 different brands of ammo to find out what she like to eat.
Best results were with the Eley sport and CCI standard velocity.
At one point I looked around at the other guys shooting off the benches and realised we all had Ruger Precision Rimfires :lol:
WilMacHit
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Aug 2022, 5:14 pm

Caught the flu off my boy,so have been sweating and shaking and feeling miserable all day.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2022, 5:26 pm

WilMacHit wrote:Took my brand new Ruger precision rimfire down to ssaa springvale, got her sighted in, and tried 6 different brands of ammo to find out what she like to eat.
Best results were with the Eley sport and CCI standard velocity.
At one point I looked around at the other guys shooting off the benches and realised we all had Ruger Precision Rimfires :lol:

I pour heaps of CCI SV through mine, 580rds down the tube this week.
Been very windy so I've been up the hill most days slinging bullets in the rough vicinity of steel gongs trying to learn what I can about wind. Managed five hits in a row on the 120mm gong at 150m today with a four-minute wind hold and an 11.4-minute elevation hold (fourth dot on the BDC). Only managed a single hit on the 150mm gong at 200m with a 7-minute wind hold, but the wind was bouncing between four and seven minutes so I only put one 15rd mag onto it before giving up on that one :-)

If I'm making an effort the rifle will hold 100mm at 200m so hitting the gong without wind, or in a steady wind isn't a challenge.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2022, 5:27 pm

bigpete wrote:Caught the flu off my boy,so have been sweating and shaking and feeling miserable all day.

That sucks, Pete :-(
Hope it doesn't drag on too long.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Aug 2022, 5:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:Caught the flu off my boy,so have been sweating and shaking and feeling miserable all day.

That sucks, Pete :-(
Hope it doesn't drag on too long.

Thanks, so do I. I need to get the hours up at work
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2022, 7:01 pm

Had a big day yesterday in the bush planting trees with Landcare, came home thoroughly buggered but very satisfied :-)
Last week I spent some time clearing sight lines and shooting and target positions in the bush, so I was going up today do some more on that. But I noticed how lovely the weather was, so I rang a mate, told him I was going to spend the arvo laying in a paddock with some .22's, and did he want to join me. So I cleaned some rifles while I waited for him :-)

We went in, very boggy still, set up a board with paper, and I walked up the hill dropping a 120mm gong every thirty meters or so. He brought his lovely Brno Model 2 out to play but forgot the key to the trigger lock, oops. So I put him on my Ruger Precision as I knew it was zeroed and I know where it shoots, and I got behind my Ruger American Target. We put a couple boxes of ammo on paper first at 100m to dial our eyes in, then I had him aim for the 100m gong for a very satisfying clang. We didn't bother with paper after that. I guesstimated the gongs were at 135m, 160m and 180m. When we finished we walked up and I lased them back to the ute at 167m and 188m - I forgot to lase the closer one but I reckon it was pretty close to 135m.

For the 135m one I told him to hold midway between the second and third dots on the reticle, and a quarter target to the left for wind, and clang again. Fourth dot for the 160m one and the top of the duplex post for the 180m one. He wiped the floor with me as I struggled to keep up with him :-) The wind was excellent, fairly steady between none at all and two-minutes from the left. Close enough that if you miss one at distance just drop back to a centre hold on the 100m gong and see how far the bullet hits from centre, then go back to the longer ones and nail them - very easy.

A very fun and relaxing few hours. And then Rose told me she's volunteered me to go back into the Landcare site tomorrow!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Aug 2022, 7:04 pm

Making a spring compressor for my AR. Keep changing my mind about how to do it but I'm getting there :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 Aug 2022, 8:19 pm

Barrel pruned a vineyard then took my bow for a walk,to no avail. Did find this rather chilled out echidna though
20220828_193622.jpg
20220828_193622.jpg (231.44 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Billo » 28 Aug 2022, 8:32 pm

Bath time for 6.5x55 lap, 6mm ARC in the ultrasonic cleaner, sized, trimmed and primed. Cleaned a few barrels of recently used rifles (4)

Loaded up some 32gr Nosler BT and 32gr Varmageddons to run in the 20 Hornet, off to smack some foxes and bunnies in the next few weeks :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 28 Aug 2022, 9:36 pm

Wow its pretty early in the year to see an echidna on the move.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Aug 2022, 9:43 pm

Larry wrote:Wow its pretty early in the year to see an echidna on the move.

Not really. Echidna go into a type of light hibernation during winter. But unlike most species that hibernate they wake up a few times during winter to eat.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Aug 2022, 9:58 pm

Dunno about that,,,,, I see them throughout the year here,,,,,, especially at night , which may surprise some.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 Aug 2022, 7:40 am

Yeah,don't know bout that. I've been seeing the odd one for for months. Never noticed too much change in frequency over winter tbh
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2022, 7:50 am

Big difference in activity in my area in Winter they hiibernate and I dont normally see any until Late November after which they are all around the place.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2022, 8:00 am

We've got echidna and wombats out and about just now in daylight.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 29 Aug 2022, 8:46 am

Here's one the missus caught about 3 weeks ago down the south-east
Screenshot_20220829-081537_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220829-081537_Gallery.jpg (522.21 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Aug 2022, 8:54 am

Er aren't those things a bit er, spikey, bigpete :o
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 Aug 2022, 9:03 am

She's tough ( also did get spiked lol )
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2022, 9:13 am

What are you catching them for? They're protected here, not allowed to bother them.

bigpete wrote:Here's one the missus caught about 3 weeks ago down the south-east
Screenshot_20220829-081537_Gallery.jpg
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 29 Aug 2022, 9:41 am

To have a look. As far as I'm aware there's no law against picking them,only against causing them injuries
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2022, 7:05 pm

I thought Saturday was a big day but went out with Landcare again today and we put in almost 300 more tree seedlings. Four hours scrambling up and down the 30-45 degree slope and crabbing side to side, punching holes, dropping in the trees, and putting guards around them. Then after that the trek back up the hill. My feet, ankles and calf muscles are going to be aching for days - very satisfying :-)
Attachments
20220829_144336b.jpg
Looking up the hill
20220829_144336b.jpg (321.05 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2022, 7:16 pm

bigpete wrote:To have a look. As far as I'm aware there's no law against picking them,only against causing them injuries

Over here the Act just says we can't molest or disturb wildlife.
Had a pair of them out a couple weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiJnvHJ53Wc
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation