Vic Police lose 60,000 rounds of ammo

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Vic Police lose 60,000 rounds of ammo

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2022, 3:48 pm

What can I say. Corruption or hypocrisy.

Toss is a bit of harassment too I guess.

https://nationalshooting.org.au/sticky- ... sing-ammo/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Vic Police lose 60,000 rounds of ammo

Post by deye243 » 12 Aug 2022, 4:02 pm

Can't wait to see this on the news on telly and the newspapers
:lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy: :drinks:
Last edited by deye243 on 12 Aug 2022, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Aug 2022, 4:14 pm

It all reminds me of an old saying

"To be shot with a pellet of your own s**t"

Its so o fitting in more than one way.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Aug 2022, 4:50 pm

Should have been a bit quiet with this rather than making a noise in Parliament, do it behind the scenes. As i read this "Sam" is admitting an offence that could see him lose his Firearms Licence, cop a very hefty fine and perhaps do 2 years in the clink. Did the NSC Barrister not notice this?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 13 Aug 2022, 5:38 pm

What offence did he commit. To be honest not familiar with case and first time Ive heard about it.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Aug 2022, 5:54 pm

northdude wrote:What offence did he commit. To be honest not familiar with case and first time Ive heard about it.

Within the statement is an admission of breaching a specific Regulation. Hoping the lawyers see it and modify their statement claiming unbidden error before some smart alec cop sees it. May not end well.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Barbarian » 13 Aug 2022, 6:13 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Should have been a bit quiet with this rather than making a noise in Parliament, do it behind the scenes. As i read this "Sam" is admitting an offence that could see him lose his Firearms Licence, cop a very hefty fine and perhaps do 2 years in the clink. Did the NSC Barrister not notice this?

I'm guessing he's in some way violated Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Storage Regulations - I'm not overly familiar with Vic policy but if such was stored in appropriate cabinets/safes with suitable placards/signage is there anything in Vic that would prevent an individual from owning such a quantity of ammunition?

I don't believe there is any offence he could be charged with relating to calling the blackmailer's bluff/refusing to pay. Any law that did would make failing to report email and phone scams a crime.

He could have (possibly) Avoided the whole situation if he informed the police of the attempt however - though I'm not overly confident even that would help.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Aug 2022, 10:49 pm

G'day Barbarian,
You're on the money, there are a couple of ways he could do it, but he would need the specific licence or have other licenced people living at the same address. As they didn't count the ammo when it was seized one could claim that no offence can be proven and the claim for missing ammo be limited to what is allowed. The cops would have a very hard time proving otherwise to a "reaonable" level.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Barbarian » 14 Aug 2022, 2:52 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Barbarian,
You're on the money, there are a couple of ways he could do it, but he would need the specific licence or have other licenced people living at the same address. As they didn't count the ammo when it was seized one could claim that no offence can be proven and the claim for missing ammo be limited to what is allowed. The cops would have a very hard time proving otherwise to a "reaonable" level.

Honestly, even the estimate was generous at 60k, even recovering compensation or the ammunition itself for a significant portion of what is unaccounted for would still be a win.

It certainly raises an eyebrow that it was only factory (I presume boxed) ammunition that went missing. Given the current state of ammunition scarcity already affecting Pistol Shooters that don't reload to the point that in some jurisdictions such a shortage is being considered in cases of lapsed attendance, It does make me wonder if the [s]Gestapo[/s] Constabulary is having similar issues and decided to seize the moment. I assume police have some manner of standing order or procedure that would prohibit them from utilizing ammunition of unknown origin/construction such as his handloads. Where the boxed remainder might conform to some standard that is considered acceptable by VicPol

Either way, I hope his photos were detailed and wish the man all the best assuming he has otherwise done everything right.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Aug 2022, 8:12 pm

Barbarian wrote: I assume police have some manner of standing order or procedure that would prohibit them from utilizing ammunition of unknown origin/construction such as his handloads. Where the boxed remainder might conform to some standard that is considered acceptable by VicPol

It's highly unlikely that the police took them to be used by the force, it's much more likely that one or two Shady officers did the swifty on the way back to the station knowing what ammunition is worth. A smart shooter wouldn't touch someone else's reloads for several reasons including safety and resale value.

Here in SA the police take the ammunition back to the station where your ammo is weighed, ammo boxes plastered with stickers and vandalised with permanent markers then I'ts moved it on to a magazine near Tailem Bend, when returned, it's transported again from the magazine back to the station for collection.
There's plenty of opportunities along the way for things to go missing.
Personally I didn't make the officers count any ammo at my place, they'd already been there long enough by the time we'd got to dealing with ammo and I didn't to hold them up any longer due to the fires that were burning in the Adelaide Hills at the time.
They were very good about everything, offering me time to remove scopes and stuff... I didn't do that either.
I reckon it all came back :thumbsup:
Screenshot_20220814-192658_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220814-192658_Gallery.jpg (335.93 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2022, 7:02 pm

When it comes to this type of thing SAAA is useless.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 15 Aug 2022, 7:26 pm

Whilst it is, again, disappointing that SSAA doesn't seem to want to engage in a scrap on behalf of one of their members, it is even more deplorable that it was necessary for Tim Quilty to ask an embarrassing question of the police minister in the Parliament before the tune changed from "nothing to see here, move along", to re-opening the investigation.
THAT is what is seriously wrong. Plod trying to f^k us all with their unashamed lies and deceit. Because they can.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Aug 2022, 7:32 pm

We'll hear from the SSAA when the ever tightening laws call for those fudds (and us) us to hand in their single shot target rifles
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2022, 9:41 pm

No1_49er wrote:Whilst it is, again, disappointing that SSAA doesn't seem to want to engage in a scrap on behalf of one of their members, it is even more deplorable that it was necessary for Tim Quilty to ask an embarrassing question of the police minister in the Parliament before the tune changed from "nothing to see here, move along", to re-opening the investigation.
THAT is what is seriously wrong. Plod trying to f^k us all with their unashamed lies and deceit. Because they can.

Exactly the same in NT.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Aug 2022, 7:46 pm

Yep,,,,,, the constabulary certainly do not treat anything with any care once in their possession.
Years ago I had all my firearms confiscated on a trumped up charge that was consequently dropped like a hot potato.

I got a phone call from the offending cop shop telling me to come and pick them up.
I said, Well you guys drove half an hour to come get them,,, so how about you return them.

Oh no,,,,,,, they said,, it doesn't work like that.
So, I drive in to get them.
Now,,, when confiscated, they were all cased or in individual padded rifle bags.

When I got to the station I was confronted by one unholy overweight c*** that had obviously never passed a fitness test.
After waiting quite a considerable time,, she returned pushing two Woolworths shopping trolleys that had all my firearms chucked in upright, downright, and sideways, and the cases and bags jammed in the other trolley.

Then she slid a paper form over the counter and demanded that I sign it.
It was in fact an indemnity form against damage.

I refused to sign it, and she says,, "If you don't sign it I wont release them."

I laughed and said "well that's funny because you have to hand them back on the orders of the station superintendent because all charges have been dropped, and they are not your firearms."

The sad thing was that a fair few of them were pristine collector status and un fired rifles and all of them had sustained damage whilst in the (gentle and caring hands of the constabulary).

I got them all back home,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but never ever signed her piece of paper.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Aug 2022, 9:15 pm

I've heard a few horror stories like that DJ
Good to hear you stood your ground with the demanding officer.

I was happy to see my firearms lightly oiled (lanotech) vacuum sealed in plastic wheeled out of storage in a wheely bins.
A few minor scratches here and there but only on the cleanest and most desirable of them :roll: , probably because they were so pristine that any mark would have shown up.
At least some effort was made to prevent rust.

I always thought it was only a matter of time before they confiscated a pristine, matching pair of custom Elvis Presley's Holland & Holland shotguns from a lawyer to later hand them back rusted, scratched and dented finding themselves in court defending a million dollar lawsuit.
Something like that might make change
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Firearms related media and politics