Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by Wct » 29 Jul 2022, 11:25 am

First time licence, Cat H. Licence application and PTA lodged Jan 2022, sitting just shy of 27 weeks now..

Anyone else received their Cat H recently / care to share how long the current times are?
Wct
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Batesy » 03 Aug 2022, 9:33 am

I applied for my Cat H on 26/11/21 and it was approved on 19/5/22. So just shy of 25 weeks. Hopefully yours isn't too far off being approved.
Batesy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by eldenk » 12 Aug 2022, 1:01 pm

Hi all,

Curious people's experiences over the last couple of months with PTA wait times? I'm now at 45 days. My last PTA was around 14 days back in March. Ive called and I just get the useless rehearsed line "we process first in first served" etc. Weapons Licensing website saying within 21 days.
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
.308 Ruger Precision Rifle
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 13 Aug 2022, 10:07 pm

I've been waiting 28 days for a Cat B PTA, the last one, a couple of months ago, went through in 24 hours.

Shooters Union are trying to track this issue and the average PTA time was around 31 days when they last reported on it, being an average that means half of PTA applications now take over 31 days.
However, not only is it likely already longer but some 'massaging' of figures always seems to happen with government so they will probably be clearing some quickly to improve the 'average' and the remainder could be waiting 2 to 3 months.

There was a recent large uptake of temporary staff at WLB so hopefully they will be trained up soon and get the backlog down.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by eldenk » 14 Aug 2022, 6:24 pm

rc42 wrote:I've been waiting 28 days for a Cat B PTA, the last one, a couple of months ago, went through in 24 hours.

Shooters Union are trying to track this issue and the average PTA time was around 31 days when they last reported on it, being an average that means half of PTA applications now take over 31 days.
However, not only is it likely already longer but some 'massaging' of figures always seems to happen with government so they will probably be clearing some quickly to improve the 'average' and the remainder could be waiting 2 to 3 months.

There was a recent large uptake of temporary staff at WLB so hopefully they will be trained up soon and get the backlog down.

Thanks for the update mate. Well its 45 days now... interesting to see if it comes through this week. Like you mentioned, my previous PTA was very very quick turnaround back in March. Couple of days...
.223 Warwick WFA1-L
.308 Ruger Precision Rifle
eldenk
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bucks_unlimited » 18 Aug 2022, 7:35 pm

Howdy folks!
I applied for my Cat A & B Firearms License only a couple of weeks ago. I know they are meant to take 20-25 weeks (so I'm still a long while off) but when I looked through some posts from earlier this year I saw folks saying their applications had taken upward of 30 weeks.
Just for some piece of mind, I was wondering, how long is it taking for folks to get their licences at the moment and if I should buckle in for a much longer wait?
bucks_unlimited
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PriorHistorian » 23 Aug 2022, 9:27 pm

bucks_unlimited wrote:Howdy folks!
I applied for my Cat A & B Firearms License only a couple of weeks ago. I know they are meant to take 20-25 weeks (so I'm still a long while off) but when I looked through some posts from earlier this year I saw folks saying their applications had taken upward of 30 weeks.
Just for some piece of mind, I was wondering, how long is it taking for folks to get their licences at the moment and if I should buckle in for a much longer wait?

I'd say at least 30 weeks now. I'm hearing of people at the local range saying they're at week 50. Seems to he no order to anything, just luck of the draw...
PriorHistorian
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by qld33 » 30 Aug 2022, 11:00 am

Submitted my Cat H id 24/12/2021.
License approved 20/07/2022.
Took over 2 weeks more to get it in the mail.
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 05 Dec 2022, 1:38 pm

One friend just got approved in 2 weeks. While another friend has been waiting 20 weeks..... both have clean criminal histories and such. Does not seem they are processing them in order of application at all.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bucks_unlimited » 12 Dec 2022, 7:05 pm

bucks_unlimited wrote:Howdy folks!

Update folks: just heard back from weapons licensing with Cat AB approval in just less than 17 weeks! Very exciting news :D
bucks_unlimited
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 15 Feb 2023, 6:48 pm

Any updates on recent license approvals?
I applied for cat M (xbow) on 9/10/22, already have AB and H. Hopefully not too far away from being issued but it sounds like WL have got an increased backlog again.
Thanks
N
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 15 Feb 2023, 9:57 pm

Apparently there is a new processing system for license applications, those who applied in the last couple of months are on the new system and get approved in a few weeks, those that applied before that are on the old system and, well, sucks to be you.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 16 Feb 2023, 10:14 pm

Thanks rc42, that sounds fairly typical of how they do stuff ass up and back to front. At least I’m past halfway to the 6 months it used to take so maybe I’ll see it by Christmas.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Andy » 26 Feb 2023, 7:58 am

39 weeks for Cat H approval
Andy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 06 Mar 2023, 3:45 pm

Nearly 10 months, that’s a very long wait…

I was told last week that WL are taking around 11 months for license approvals at the moment, is this actually an improvement on what’s been happening over the last couple of years?
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by gunbar » 09 Mar 2023, 12:24 pm

Nails wrote:Nearly 10 months, that’s a very long wait…

I was told last week that WL are taking around 11 months for license approvals at the moment, is this actually an improvement on what’s been happening over the last couple of years?

It has been pushing out for sure.

Currently sitting around 38 weeks for licence applications.
Safe, Secure Firearm Storage https://www.gunbar.au
gunbar
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 14 Mar 2023, 2:08 pm

Nails wrote:Nearly 10 months, that’s a very long wait…

If you recall my Cat A/B took 40 weeks, it seems they took a few steps forward for a few months and then went back to how it was.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by daza » 20 Mar 2023, 5:13 pm

Applied for A/B 04/04/22
Email approval 06/10/22

Received physical license card in mail today.
daza
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 25 Mar 2023, 11:21 am

Cat H renewal approved in a week.

I store my firearms at my club and Weapons actually rung me within half an hour of lodging to question where the club permission to store my firearms letter was. I did say they never asked for one and that's why I never attached it lol. I just emailed one through later that day.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Coreyricho » 26 Mar 2023, 4:25 pm

Had a cat A .22 PTA approved in under 2 weeks In start of February, lodged for a cat B 6.5 Creed little bit after the .22, been over 6 weeks now. Still nothing back… I have several centrefire rifles already… really wish they would scrap the PTAs. The hoops you jump through just to get your license should be enough of a “reason” for needing it.
I understand strict gun laws make for a safe community, just sometimes feel like they are taking the piss…
Coreyricho
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieYob » 28 Mar 2023, 9:10 am

Just got my Cat A/B approved. just shy of 19 weeks. That is with a prior history of depression + adhd. I was expecting to have to lawyer up to get it. The shrinks letter must have done the trick.
AussieYob
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 28 Mar 2023, 3:57 pm

I saw they now have now have PTA waiting time listed at 42 days (probably means business days but doesn’t say so) and 20.4 weeks for new licenses listed on their website.
I’ve had my cat M application in for 24.3 weeks now. I already have a,b and c, so I don’t know why it takes so long, just crazy and frustrating
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Nato » 12 Apr 2023, 8:42 am

Doesnt look like the wait time is getting shorter even with more QPS staff processing applications.

36 weeks so far for a CAT H...Thought it might of been a bit quicker having my A/B already....wishful thinking on my part.
Nato
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Coreyricho » 12 Apr 2023, 11:27 am

There is hope, just had a couple mates get approved for A/B licenses under 2 months, and one mate had all 4 of his PTAs come through only a week after.
My brother in law also had his A/B approval in under a month and half.
Coreyricho
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nato » 12 Apr 2023, 8:37 pm

it be so nice if you could actually see the queue, see how many applications are in front of yours and an estimated time before yours will be looked at.
Nato
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by KaptainM » 18 Apr 2023, 7:33 pm

My son is at 32 weeks now waiting for his Cat H.
KaptainM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nato » 23 Apr 2023, 3:24 pm

Just got approval email for my CAT H!!

YAHOO!!!

37 Weeks 2 Days!

Good luck everyone!
Nato
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 23 May 2023, 4:19 pm

Cat M, cross bow license email approval received 19/5, Approx 30 weeks.
Corresponding PTA (submitted 18/1 while waiting for license approval) -email approval received 22/5.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AussieYob » 30 May 2023, 8:14 am

Just got a PTA for a shotgun, 13 days! That must be a record now!
AussieYob
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 16 Jan 2024, 8:55 pm

Applied for my collectors licence on 13/1 Im hopefully goint to get it back quickly seens as i already have my A,B & H licence one can only hipe.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws