What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by NTSOG » 18 Sep 2022, 4:29 pm

Oldbloke: "Now the weather is shet."

That is probably the understatement of the month. We've just had 5+ mm plus hail dumped on us this afternoon on top of the intense 12 mm fall yesterday. The radar shows more heavy showers coming. I could have paddled a canoe down a couple of my paddocks late yesterday. There are no firm dry areas to put out hay for the cattle. Calving starts soon and I'm not looking forward to marking the little beasts out on the wet boggy ground - I 'fix' them at 24 hours before they get too fast, flighty and strong for me. There's so much work I want to do, but even the little Fergie 35 would damage the paddocks if it didn't get bogged. Taking the big tractor anywhere is not going to happen. I'm wanting to get urea spread for a hay boost, but I'm wondering if it will be possible to get the spreader truck on the property at all before we cut.

At least I've been able to get a few foxes out the back with the .22 magnum in between showers. They've been coming to my whistling.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 18 Sep 2022, 4:29 pm

Hughie's running his favourite Shetland Islands themed program here today, ice cold horizontal rain so I finally extracted the digit and made a start on the battle axe project that's been niggling at me.

The heads are 5160 from some truck springs and the top of the haft is an old scutch bit from a Kango hammer.

Much heat-beat-repeat to go but I've made a start at last.

20201210_191621_25.jpg
20201210_191621_25.jpg (251.13 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day bladeracer,

Hopefully the market will continue to get stronger for sellers and you'll do well. My neighbours [who made $2200 for their steers before the FMD scare] also got $1800 for their heifers at the same sale.

Let us know how you go.

Jim

Will do. Getting the steers to market is why I decided to have a look at the cattle trailer a couple weeks ago. Discovered one brake drum was seized up, it only had 40mm axles, and only five-leaf 45x5mm springs, with two broken leaves on the front right. So I ripped the lot out and put in two new braked 45mm axles on eight-leaf 45x8mm springs. Then, in checking the brakes, I also discovered the brake controller was not wired up correctly, all it did was turn the brake lights on. Feeling much happier for the safety of our boys now.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 19 Sep 2022, 6:30 am

"Getting the steers to market is why I decided to have a look at the cattle trailer a couple weeks ago."

Keeping the stock trailer in good condition is critical. The beasts are just too valuable to cut corners with the trailer and being stuck half-way to the sale yards with a broken down trailer full of steers would be a nightmare.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 19 Sep 2022, 11:13 am

With the warm weather around 25C here and all the rain we've had the fall foliage is slowly turning. It still mostly looks like summer round here.

I spent the past two days using a 30 ft long shammy and a 30 ft long pressure washer wand to wash my range building from top of the roof to the ground. The building didn't look too bad but there was a coating of mold, dust, pollen, bug goo, bird poop, etc so I basically washed the building like a car and got all the dirt off, and there was plenty of dirt. Used some house/siding cleaner in a foam bottle with the pressure washer and also a foamer bottle with car wash soap. Got a pressure washer surface cleaner out for the floor. Actually more dirt came up then I thought would.

Now the building is nice and clean for the fall. Probably a lot of people wouldn't give a damn but I don't like dirty stuff and if people come to shoot or have a cookout, I don't want everything covered in grime.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Sep 2022, 7:46 pm

10 hours of Cut, grind, weld, heat, bend, flare twist, hammer, drill, file, bolt, screw, paint and now the kingswood (formally an automatic) has a hydraulic clutch
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Sep 2022, 6:46 pm

Went and helped a mate replace the exit ramps from his shearing shed, cleared out the daggy wool left in the shed from the last shearing, and cleared up some collapsed wire fencing. Hopefully all ready to start shearing his sheep when we get some decent weather. Mainly we talked about shooting and deer :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 21 Sep 2022, 6:21 am

I just made up a fake story... let's see if anyone believes it to be true
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 Sep 2022, 6:59 am

cz515 wrote:I just made up a fake story... let's see if anyone believes it to be true

Why on earth would you do that? Seems somewhat counterproductive to me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 21 Sep 2022, 7:01 am

I put down a deposit on a Henry lever action 22LR. My local gun shop finally had stock again and I couldn't resist.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2022, 11:46 am

likeimjohnwayne wrote:I put down a deposit on a Henry lever action 22LR. My local gun shop finally had stock again and I couldn't resist.

Any chance it's a 24" model?
I want to get one but there don't seem to be any around.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Sep 2022, 3:42 pm

cz515 wrote:I just made up a fake story... let's see if anyone believes it to be true

In the ADI updates thread,,,right.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Sep 2022, 8:24 pm

I just replied and made comment on your true "made up story"

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But I made that up too. :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 21 Sep 2022, 10:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:Any chance it's a 24" model?

Just the 18.5" H001 sorry.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2022, 11:42 pm

likeimjohnwayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Any chance it's a 24" model?

Just the 18.5" H001 sorry.

No worries, already got that one.
Just looking for a longer barrel to get the front sight further from my eye.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Sep 2022, 10:50 pm

Six months ago I purchased another safe (one that only just does the job)
My two other (extra heavy duty) safes are in an alcove,,, and securely bolted to each other from within.
And at the far end I had a gap of 380 mm.

Then this other cheaper safe was advertised and the width of 380mm was stated.
So I bought it,, hoping that the guy could actually measure accurately and that I could squeeze it in.
After applying a hydraulic jack between the alcove wall and the base of the other safes I managed to gain an extra ( 1 ) millimeter.
The latest safe was then slid into the gap with the aid of a portapower.

The only issue was it's an entirely different color, and 48 mm shorter than the others,,, but at least I knew that it will all fit in.
So today I extracted it.
Got it into the workshop, and welded a base made out of 40 mm SHS onto the bottom of it,, and once done then cut the original base plate out of the middle
of the new SHS base.
Then I welded an 8 mm plate onto that which I had pre drilled to allow me to fit Chemset 16 mm studs into the concrete.

Then slipped in a false floor at the original base plate level.
Now it is precisely 48 mm higher than original height,,,,,,,,, and matches the other safes height,,, and the entire alcove width will be filled.

I also took the door off,, and beefed up all the internal bars and anti drill plates, and tomorrow I'll be welding a second outer plate onto the door face
using 6 mm bisalloy over the top of the original door faceplate.

Then I'll set about spray painting it to match. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 24 Sep 2022, 3:59 pm

Screenshot_20220924-152807_Gallery.jpg
Went fishing with the missus. Fish patties in the making
Screenshot_20220924-152807_Gallery.jpg (514.48 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Sep 2022, 7:03 pm

Went shooting today with "Black Beauty", my 22, a CZ455 in case you have forgotten :roll: Did not live up to expectations created by the last outing. Wind was a factor but in a lot of cases, elevation was poor, although to begin with, my eyesight was a factor too. Finally got a clear look a the reticle only after putting on my sunnies which have a distance correction. Got some four shot, half inch groups with RW$ with a fifth being a flier. Strange how it did not group so well as last time, even allowing for the wind. Might check its innards with the borescope.
p s no loose screws at all :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by northdude » 25 Sep 2022, 6:55 am

went to the blade show here in Auckland. bought a kit and going to give making my own knife a go, wife got one as well
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Flyonline » 25 Sep 2022, 9:23 am

While everyone else in vic watched the grand final, I took my 7yo daughter out to put up a trail camera. We only went in a few hundred meters, but I'd forgotten how steep and rough the terrain is but despite a number of slips she didn't complain once and we had a good time picking up deer tracks, looking down wombat holes etc. What with all the rain lately, everything seems to have spread out a lot, so not sure what I'll end up with on the camera, but could be anything from a trophy sambar stag to a newborn fallow foal.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2022, 3:02 pm

Screenshot_20220925-143027_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220925-143027_Gallery.jpg (450.32 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Screenshot_20220925-142922_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220925-142922_Gallery.jpg (634.24 KiB) Viewed 1392 times

Another day fishing,caught a pretty decent sized female carp full of eggs so I guess we're trying carp roe at some stage
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2022, 3:09 pm

I took a mate on his first deer hunting trip.
He saw his first sambar a young stag. I think he was happy with that. :P He is keen to go again. :drinks:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2022, 4:52 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I took a mate on his first deer hunting trip.
He saw his first sambar a young stag. I think he was happy with that. :P He is keen to go again. :drinks:

Thats a good day
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 25 Sep 2022, 5:21 pm

Bigpete

how do you cook your carp? Have been wanting to try for a while but haven't yet....
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2022, 5:37 pm

Flyonline wrote:Bigpete

how do you cook your carp? Have been wanting to try for a while but haven't yet....

Fillet it,skin it,run it through a mincer,and make fish cakes
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2022, 8:16 pm

bigpete wrote:

Thats a good day

Yep. Looks like I'm out of retirement. :allegedly:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2022, 8:46 pm

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_20220925-143027_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220925-142922_Gallery.jpg

Another day fishing,caught a pretty decent sized female carp full of eggs so I guess we're trying carp roe at some stage

She is a ripper. Goodonya
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 26 Sep 2022, 7:58 am

Sunday, perfect day for furry murder.
20220925_134647.jpg
20220925_134647.jpg (662.32 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Parked in a good sniping spot near the shearing shed where Tony Rabbott comes to sun himself, set myself up with a cuppa and a book sat back all comfortable in the afternoon sun..........and went to bloody sleep. :roll:

Woke up surrounded by inquisitive sheep
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 26 Sep 2022, 9:38 am

bigpete wrote:

Thats a good day

I been seeing a few lately around here, they must been breeding. A neighbour had the smaller ones in his backyard early in the year.

I Reckon the best is to shoot them with a camera. I am tempted to take my done around for a spin agreed the rains through
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Sep 2022, 12:02 am

:wtf: :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: ????
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation