Sydney Shooters Help

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Sydney Shooters Help

Post by BecM » 06 Oct 2022, 12:01 pm

Anyone here based in Sydney interested in giving a new shooter some tips? My local range is St Marys - I've been twice once to do a try shooting day and once where I used one of their rifles. I'd like to learn properly but don't know anyone else that shoots
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Sydney Shooters Help

Post by Lazarus » 06 Oct 2022, 5:04 pm

G'day Bec,

I'm not in Sydney so I can't help, but welcome to the sport anyway.

I almost envy you the learning journey, hope you enjoy it :welcome:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 06 Oct 2022, 5:17 pm

Have you started the process of applying for a Category A or B firearms licence?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Oct 2022, 6:46 pm

Get a 22LR and shoot regularly, shoot standing, sitting and prone. Try a friendly comp like 3P, Field Rifle or rimfire Metallic Shillouette.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 07 Oct 2022, 1:38 pm

jwai86 wrote:Have you started the process of applying for a Category A or B firearms licence?

Hi yes I have my A & B licence.
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 07 Oct 2022, 1:38 pm

Lazarus wrote:G'day Bec,

Thanks! It's definitely fun and I find it quite relaxing.
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 07 Oct 2022, 1:58 pm

BecM wrote:Hi yes I have my A & B licence.

OK, that's the first big hurdle already cleared then. I wasn't sure from reading your initial post if you got your licence yet.

Have you thought about joining a club or talking to staff or other shooters at the range as a starting point?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2022, 2:04 pm

BecM wrote:
Lazarus wrote:G'day Bec,

Thanks! It's definitely fun and I find it quite relaxing.

Hope you can find somebody up closer to you, laying in a paddock for a few hours tossing bits of lead at steel targets is hard to beat.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 07 Oct 2022, 3:01 pm

Hey BecM I go to St Mary's a bit when its wet and Ill almost certainly be going this Sunday after lunch. Happy let you have a go with a few rifles to help your experience. :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 07 Oct 2022, 4:37 pm

jwai86 wrote:
BecM wrote:Hi yes I have my A & B licence.

OK, that's the first big hurdle already cleared then. I wasn't sure from reading your initial post if you got your licence yet.

Have you thought about joining a club or talking to staff or other shooters at the range as a starting point?

I've joined SSAA because target shooting was my genuine reason for getting my licence. St Marys is usually fairly busy so you really only get range rules and left to it. I don't know anyone that goes there so just asking random people for help feels a bit weird! I might get in contact with the club to see if they can suggest anyone.
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 07 Oct 2022, 4:40 pm

BecM wrote:I'd like to learn properly but don't know anyone else that shoots

Can you further elaborate on your definition of "properly"? There's only so much you'll learn shooting from a chair, through a scope, in a 50m windless environment...

Field positional shooting, like 3-position that happens every Saturday under the MRCA over at Malabar/ANZAC permits the use of a sling to help stabilize the forend. Even a simple two point webbing sling like on a 303, can be used to great effect from all these positions.The sling is integral to the rifle and should be leveraged in the field... a lost art in the new age where rests and low recoilers are all the rage... so if you wanna learn to shoot like yu do in basic, maybe steer clear of the double bags/bipod, at least at the start? (just my opinion ofc, this will cop some criticism around these parts :sarcasm: )

Therefore, I'll share my recent guide I give to new shooters, loosely based on old USMC marksmanship schooling, with some palma rifle concepts mixed in, which is applicable to any sling-supported and offhand shooting:

fundementals.jpg
fundamentals of marksmanship 2023
fundementals.jpg (443.05 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 07 Oct 2022, 5:12 pm

in2anity wrote:
BecM wrote:I'd like to learn properly but don't know anyone else that shoots

Can you further elaborate on your definition of "properly"? There's only so much you'll learn shooting from a chair, through a scope, in a 50m windless environment...

Field positional shooting, like 3-position that happens every Saturday under the MRCA over at Malabar/ANZAC permits the use of a sling to help stabilize the forend. Even a simple two point webbing sling like on a 303, can be used to great effect from all these positions.The sling is integral to the rifle and should be leveraged in the field... a lost art in the new age where rests and low recoilers are all the rage... so if you wanna learn to shoot like yu do in basic, maybe steer clear of the double bags/bipod, at least at the start? (just my opinion ofc, this will cop some criticism around these parts :sarcasm: )

Therefore, I'll share my recent guide I give to new shooters, loosely based on old USMC marksmanship schooling, with some palma rifle concepts mixed in, which is applicable to any sling-supported and offhand shooting:

fundementals.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Basically I mean anything beyond here is the gun look through the scope and point it at the target which is basically all you are shown at a try shooting day. I know nothing about correct technique or anything on the picture you shared. I don't know how to set up a gun or if it's right for me or if the scope is the right height etc. When using a range gun you aren't even allowed to adjust anything on the scope. I don't have my own rifle yet as I wasn't to try a few before I buy. So far I've used a Lithgow and Tikka and they have nothing left handed at the range. I'd like to learn to shoot further than 50m (target only not interested in hunting). From what I have seen there are not many females around (or maybe just not at times I went) so it can be a bit weird to approach random guys for help and most are too busy concentrating on their own thing. I do have some physical restriction (thanks horses) that would prevent me from doing some stuff like shooting from a seated or kneeling position so really bench, prone or standing would be it for me. I guess the short answer is by "proper" I mean everything! As much info as I can get.
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 07 Oct 2022, 5:13 pm

Billo wrote:Hey BecM I go to St Mary's a bit when its wet and Ill almost certainly be going this Sunday after lunch. Happy let you have a go with a few rifles to help your experience. :thumbsup:

Hi thanks this would be awesome but unfortunately I can't go this weekend. I'd be keen another time though
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2022, 6:27 pm

BecM wrote:Thanks for the reply. Basically I mean anything beyond here is the gun look through the scope and point it at the target which is basically all you are shown at a try shooting day. I know nothing about correct technique or anything on the picture you shared. I don't know how to set up a gun or if it's right for me or if the scope is the right height etc. When using a range gun you aren't even allowed to adjust anything on the scope. I don't have my own rifle yet as I wasn't to try a few before I buy. So far I've used a Lithgow and Tikka and they have nothing left handed at the range. I'd like to learn to shoot further than 50m (target only not interested in hunting). From what I have seen there are not many females around (or maybe just not at times I went) so it can be a bit weird to approach random guys for help and most are too busy concentrating on their own thing. I do have some physical restriction (thanks horses) that would prevent me from doing some stuff like shooting from a seated or kneeling position so really bench, prone or standing would be it for me. I guess the short answer is by "proper" I mean everything! As much info as I can get.

While there are some fundamentals, like most things it mainly comes down to trying different techniques and finding what works best for you.
If you ride horses do you know anybody with a rural property? That would be the best place to learn.

If you're primarily interested in bench or prone shooting you might well prefer a right-handed rifle, no change to your grip while working the bolt right-handed. For offhand though it might take some practice to operate the bolt right-handed if you're a lefty, or not, some people adapt very quickly.

If you want to challenge yourself while shooting offhand, and have tons of fun, grab yourself a Henry H001 lever-action and get into Lever-Action Metallic Silhouette. .22LR is shot at 40m, 50m, 75m and 100m at steel "animal" targets. And lever-actions are ambidextrous ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 07 Oct 2022, 9:26 pm

BecM wrote:
Billo wrote:Hey BecM I go to St Mary's a bit when its wet and Ill almost certainly be going this Sunday after lunch. Happy let you have a go with a few rifles to help your experience. :thumbsup:

Hi thanks this would be awesome but unfortunately I can't go this weekend. I'd be keen another time though

Hey no worries I shoot 3 weekends every month, I also do Hill Top which allows you to shoot at 100m, 200, 300, 400 and 500m from the same bench. :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 08 Oct 2022, 6:19 am

Billo wrote:
BecM wrote:

Hey no worries I shoot 3 weekends every month, I also do Hill Top which allows you to shoot at 100m, 200, 300, 400 and 500m from the same bench. :drinks:

Isn't Hill top closed at moment
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 08 Oct 2022, 6:39 am

bladeracer wrote:
BecM wrote:Thanks for the reply. Basically I mean anything beyond here is the gun look through the scope and point it at the target which is basically all you are shown at a try shooting day. I know nothing about correct technique or anything on the picture you shared. I don't know how to set up a gun or if it's right for me or if the scope is the right height etc. When using a range gun you aren't even allowed to adjust anything on the scope. I don't have my own rifle yet as I wasn't to try a few before I buy. So far I've used a Lithgow and Tikka and they have nothing left handed at the range. I'd like to learn to shoot further than 50m (target only not interested in hunting). From what I have seen there are not many females around (or maybe just not at times I went) so it can be a bit weird to approach random guys for help and most are too busy concentrating on their own thing. I do have some physical restriction (thanks horses) that would prevent me from doing some stuff like shooting from a seated or kneeling position so really bench, prone or standing would be it for me. I guess the short answer is by "proper" I mean everything! As much info as I can get.

While there are some fundamentals, like most things it mainly comes down to trying different techniques and finding what works best for you.
If you ride horses do you know anybody with a rural property? That would be the best place to learn.

If you're primarily interested in bench or prone shooting you might well prefer a right-handed rifle, no change to your grip while working the bolt right-handed. For offhand though it might take some practice to operate the bolt right-handed if you're a lefty, or not, some people adapt very quickly.

If you want to challenge yourself while shooting offhand, and have tons of fun, grab yourself a Henry H001 lever-action and get into Lever-Action Metallic Silhouette. .22LR is shot at 40m, 50m, 75m and 100m at steel "animal" targets. And lever-actions are ambidextrous ;-)

I had heard this about using a right handed rifle for bench shooting. I did find it mildly annoying while using a bag at the back as I had to reposition it after using the bolt every time but I've not used a left handed gun to compare. This is the sort of thing i would like to experiment with before buying something.
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 08 Oct 2022, 6:45 am

BecM wrote:Anyone here based in Sydney interested in giving a new shooter some tips? My local range is St Marys - I've been twice once to do a try shooting day and once where I used one of their rifles. I'd like to learn properly but don't know anyone else that shoots

Hi Bec, have you considered going to cecil park? It's a really good range, much better environment than the others. I mostly go there but have been to hilltop and silverdale, both if which I believe are closed. The range officers are very helpful also. I go there every few weeks.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2022, 10:20 am

BecM wrote:I had heard this about using a right handed rifle for bench shooting. I did find it mildly annoying while using a bag at the back as I had to reposition it after using the bolt every time but I've not used a left handed gun to compare. This is the sort of thing i would like to experiment with before buying something.

I went to see what my nearest small-bore rifle club do one night and they were shooting 20m Benchrest, I saw right-handers shooting left-handed actions and they were smooth. The only movement in their entire body was their left hand and wrist working the bolt, everything else was like stone throughout the shot string. Not my idea of shooting but I bet it works very well for making tight groups.

I understand your reluctance to walk up to strangers and ask questions but perhaps speak to the RO, he might be able to point you at some of the more helpful members? And your dealer shouldn't mind letting you handle different firearms if he doesn't have a shop full of customers.

Otherwise, just buy something and get started, you'll soon work out what you do and don't like. And the time spent at the range will let you see what other people are using, and what they might be selling. If you want to shoot actual Benchrest competition you are likely to find a hunting rifle can only take you so far. Same with the optics.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Oct 2022, 9:06 am

BecM.The SSAA-run ranges around Sydney are entry level at best, and don't provide a lot of depth, with respect to a rich target shooting experience. Fine for sighting in rifles and blasting a few away, but beyond that... are rather strict and boring, and they treat you like you are an idiot.

Silverdale was shut last i checked, but it's also SSAA run, and generally only a 200m benchrest range - again you are presumed to be an idiot when you go there. Nevertheless a group used to shoot rimfire metallic silhouette out there, which was great fun back in the day... until the setup fell into disrepair, which was being maintained by volunteers (not SSAA). The 200m rimfire fly shoots they run out there were also fun.

SISC at Cecil park is a thoroughly underutilized resource, and mostly empty. The reason being that it's geared toward smallbore/olympic style shooting which is ultimately difficult; and modern people don't like difficult - they want tiny groups off the bat, without putting work in. I love that place for casual TR practice - very chilled.

Hilltop 500m RSC is new, and a nice resource for those wanting to stretch out. But they are clamping down on safety now because of an incident. Soon it'll be stupid strict like the SSAA ranges, where you are simliarly presumed to be an idiot...

ANZAC rifle range over at Malabar is run by the NSWRA, falling under the NRAA peak body. The NRAA is the pinnacle of centerfire target shooting in Australia and is the feeder for the Commonwealth games team. There are a range of subsidiary NSWRA clubs at Malabar, that cover palma, f-class and even service rifle. All of those are looking for responsible new members; they are just a bit weary of cowboys due to safety and PR concerns. But if you can get someone to look after you, there's a deep target shooting and social experience on offer there... PM me for more info.

There are a couple of other smallbore clubs like Sutherland as well - again, if you are prepared to put in the hard work. But you need to expect to not do very well, for a long time, before you start to take home gongs. Me personally, I love the challenge of smallbore and fullbore TR! - no pain, no gain.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 10 Oct 2022, 8:34 pm

in2anity wrote:BecM.The SSAA-run ranges around Sydney are entry level at best, and don't provide a lot of depth, with respect to a rich target shooting experience. Fine for sighting in rifles and blasting a few away, but beyond that... are rather strict and boring, and they treat you like you are an idiot.

Silverdale was shut last i checked, but it's also SSAA run, and generally only a 200m benchrest range - again you are presumed to be an idiot when you go there. Nevertheless a group used to shoot rimfire metallic silhouette out there, which was great fun back in the day... until the setup fell into disrepair, which was being maintained by volunteers (not SSAA). The 200m rimfire fly shoots they run out there were also fun.

SISC at Cecil park is a thoroughly underutilized resource, and mostly empty. The reason being that it's geared toward smallbore/olympic style shooting which is ultimately difficult; and modern people don't like difficult - they want tiny groups off the bat, without putting work in. I love that place for casual TR practice - very chilled.

Hilltop 500m RSC is new, and a nice resource for those wanting to stretch out. But they are clamping down on safety now because of an incident. Soon it'll be stupid strict like the SSAA ranges, where you are simliarly presumed to be an idiot...

ANZAC rifle range over at Malabar is run by the NSWRA, falling under the NRAA peak body. The NRAA is the pinnacle of centerfire target shooting in Australia and is the feeder for the Commonwealth games team. There are a range of subsidiary NSWRA clubs at Malabar, that cover palma, f-class and even service rifle. All of those are looking for responsible new members; they are just a bit weary of cowboys due to safety and PR concerns. But if you can get someone to look after you, there's a deep target shooting and social experience on offer there... PM me for more info.

There are a couple of other smallbore clubs like Sutherland as well - again, if you are prepared to put in the hard work. But you need to expect to not do very well, for a long time, before you start to take home gongs. Me personally, I love the challenge of smallbore and fullbore TR! - no pain, no gain.

Have sent a pm thank you!
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wiler » 11 Oct 2022, 10:39 pm

BecM wrote:Anyone here based in Sydney interested in giving a new shooter some tips? My local range is St Marys - I've been twice once to do a try shooting day and once where I used one of their rifles. I'd like to learn properly but don't know anyone else that shoots

I'd be happy to come out and bring a few of my rifles out and teach you a bit, although I'm generally only free to do so in the evening.
Wiler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 12 Oct 2022, 11:08 am

in2anity wrote:The SSAA-run ranges around Sydney are entry level at best, and don't provide a lot of depth, with respect to a rich target shooting experience. Fine for sighting in rifles and blasting a few away, but beyond that... are rather strict and boring, and they treat you like you are an idiot.

Is this to say that the SSAA range staff are condescending?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 14 Oct 2022, 9:50 am

jwai86 wrote:Is this to say that the SSAA range staff are condescending?

I was being facetious. They are just very strict because they are generally dealing with participants new to the sport; so understandably they have to be extremely careful... does this facilitate a flexible and relaxed experience? Short answer; NO.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges