LA101 Barrel Tenon

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

LA101 Barrel Tenon

Post by allan » 05 Nov 2022, 11:14 am

Does anyone have a LA101 factory barrel laying around to confirm the tenon diameter and pitch for me please?
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Re: LA101 Barrel Tenon

Post by Lazarus » 06 Nov 2022, 7:06 am

I can't find references anywhere Allen, but I'm sure an email to Lithgow Arms would get you the answer.

https://www.lithgowarms.com/contact-us/
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 06 Nov 2022, 7:09 am

Good luck because when I emailed them to ask about their specs when they first started production they were rude and unhelpful .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by allan » 06 Nov 2022, 9:55 am

Thanks - I've sent a message to Lithgow but not sure if they will divulge that sort of info. I sold my take off & didn't measure it!!! I contacted Jason Lowe yesterday - He re-barrelled his LA101 & may have the details.
I have a friend in the US who has finally got his hands on one - He is a very experienced smith and may re-barrel it once he has a good look at the action (AND test fires it).
Allan.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by JohnV » 07 Nov 2022, 8:17 am

Good luck things may have changed . I tried to work with Lithgow to smooth out some of their Early Soviet style design but they are very closed minded .
I will never swap my Brno or Anshutz rifles for a Lithgow , to my eyes they have no style .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 07 Nov 2022, 10:19 am

JohnV wrote:Good luck things may have changed . I tried to work with Lithgow to smooth out some of their Early Soviet style design but they are very closed minded .
I will never swap my Brno or Anshutz rifles for a Lithgow , to my eyes they have no style .

Don't take this the wrong way John, I'm not having a go at you just looking for clarity, but am I reading this correctly?

Your problem with Lithgow Arms is you criticised their design work as being "Early Soviet", offered your own design input and were rebuffed?

Think about it from the other end John, if you were a successful industrial designer, considered good enough that a major manufacturer would spend millions making your design and some random person told you it was no good and how you should have done it, how would you receive such input?

As to "style", I like them a great deal, they are distinctive, but things like this are very much a matter of personal taste, I love the look of my brick shaped Range Rover Classic and am not too fussed with the new ones.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 07 Nov 2022, 1:57 pm

Not exactly , my dislike for the external design came first and I still don't like them . My disliking for the company back then came from rudeness when just asking for spec details . When you consider the price I am not going to buy one then have to fit a new stock and make a new trigger guard just to make it look good and ride a bag properly . The big flats on the action . The big chinsy laser printing etc. I just don't find them attractive or the stock practical .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 07 Nov 2022, 3:33 pm

JohnV wrote:Not exactly , my dislike for the external design came first and I still don't like them . My disliking for the company back then came from rudeness when just asking for spec details . When you consider the price I am not going to buy one then have to fit a new stock and make a new trigger guard just to make it look good and ride a bag properly . The big flats on the action . The big chinsy laser printing etc. I just don't find them attractive or the stock practical .

Fair enough mate, I don't react well to uncalled-for rudeness either.
On the style, the world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same things and there's often no accounting for the tastes of others.

Look at the American's fascination with huge sloppy boobs and great big butts, I'll never understand that.
:drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by allan » 08 Nov 2022, 2:38 pm

Lithgow contacted me to-day with all the measurements for the barrel tenon - Information forwarded to my mate in the US.
Allan.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by JohnV » 17 Nov 2022, 3:41 pm

That's good things have changed .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other