advice please on ho to lift handling grime from an old stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

advice please on ho to lift handling grime from an old stock

Post by LawrenceA » 07 Nov 2022, 5:57 pm

Hi Guys
Looking for a little advice.
I have a couple of firearms with dark staining to the timber from handling.
While I am aware of the use of steam to remove dents and grime as well as acetone to remove oils, I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation?
Both guns have a ground in dark stain around the pistol grip and forend areas where the finish either wasn't or has worn through.
The stocks are checkered so basically I do not want to sand either of them any more than essential.

Thanks in advance
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: advice please on ho to lift handling grime from an old s

Post by Apollo » 07 Nov 2022, 6:27 pm

Well, I've been on this Forum since almost it's beginning and I've seen those that come and go....

That said I don't know what comments you are going to get BUT ...this Forum I don't think any of any value.

Hence why I have little to say anymore.... too many kids and too many "d**kheads" here..

My suggestion owning Firearms for over 60 years.... DON'T DO ANYTHING with it.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 07 Nov 2022, 6:37 pm

Thanks Apollo will take that on board thank you. Actually I will take any advice with a grain of salt.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 07 Nov 2022, 6:54 pm

I use Renaissance Wax, it cleans and protects.

Not cheap but it's magic stuff

20221107_195509_50.jpg
20221107_195509_50.jpg (328.13 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Nov 2022, 7:42 pm

:lol: Nice one appolo, your inner Mr Positivity is shining brightly lately.

My 12 gauge has a hardwood stock that's non varnished / oiled, and over time it generally gets the same dark marking from grime. Being such a dark timber it doesn't stand out.

General I keep on top of it by using a little turpentine on a rag and give it a real good heavy rub.
It will strip some of the oil out but not as badly as most solvents.

Re apply some linseed oil, let it sit overnight and wipe off any excess.

That's been my routine for the 10 years or so I've owned this one :thumbsup:

Ps. This song goes out to you Apollo, I hope it makes you feel a little better

https://youtu.be/qdZ5wY9XxdA

Screenshot_20221107-200554_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221107-200554_Gallery.jpg (171.79 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dnedative » 07 Nov 2022, 7:51 pm

Scrape the grime off and hit it with oven cleaner and a good brush, clean it well, get all of the old finish and oil out and off.
Rinse it with water, let it dry, give it the lightest of sands with a foam pad and then re-finish or oil it. You wont hurt the checkering, otherwise buy a tool and re chase it. Ive fixed up many a nasty horrible military stock with decades of s**t absorbed into the timber, there is no softly softly easy approach unless your like old mate who likes the look of abused mistreated stocks.

Apollo wrote:Well, I've been on this Forum since almost it's beginning and I've seen those that come and go....

That said I don't know what comments you are going to get BUT ...this Forum I don't think any of any value.

Hence why I have little to say anymore.... too many kids and too many "d**kheads" here..

Rust isnt patina, its neglect and oil soaked timber doesn't add character.
If you want to clean your guns with steel wool wrapped around a boot lace go ahead but not everyone wants to do the same.
Last edited by dnedative on 07 Nov 2022, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 07 Nov 2022, 7:54 pm

Yep, I like Willie and he looks better than I do in that clip.

I'll stick by my comment.

Don't do anything with it.

To those that think otherwise well...think again...

If it had a problem with Rust / Wood Worms then different story..

Sorry Guys / Girls ...
Last edited by Apollo on 07 Nov 2022, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 07 Nov 2022, 8:00 pm

My only suggestions of 'dont do's' involve tins of varnish, deck oil, lacquer and whatever else you can buy from Bunnings on a Saturday afternoon.
If you think stripping timber back to where you can do it justice is a crime I would hate to see where you think a tin a furniture varnish sits.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Nov 2022, 8:25 pm

Lazarus wrote:I use Renaissance Wax, it cleans and protects.

Not cheap but it's magic stuff

20221107_195509_50.jpg

This would definitely be the safest, least aggressive option suggested so far, you can get a small 65ml pot for $36 on ebay.
Waxes are fantastic on timber.
:thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 07 Nov 2022, 8:50 pm

Thanks all
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 07 Nov 2022, 9:52 pm

I once used a solution of Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) to clean grease and grime from the stock of a very old military rifle that was, quite frankly, in atrocious condition. Read, Nothing to lose.
Turned out to be quite a resurrection after reapplication of boiled Linseed oil, this part of the process being the much longer in the restoration - several weeks between applications.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 08 Nov 2022, 6:22 am

LawrenceA
That darkening (or so called patina) is mostly grime and residual oils from human sweat mixed together.
Some of the aggressive solvents suggested so far will tend entrench the stains rather than remove them.
My suggestion is to use distilled (or deionised) water optionally with about 5% metho added using a gentle brush to get into the checkering grooves and a soft cloth on smooth surfaces. Repeat until a clean cloth no longer picks up grime or you are happy with the result.
Distilled water is an excellent solvent for human exudations.
By the way this is how some luthiers clean million dollar Stradivarius violins.

Apollo
I can't help but agree with some of your incisive comments..
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 08 Nov 2022, 2:36 pm

Ive made a paste out of acetone and talc powder and liberally applied it to and oil slicked area, did it work ? somewhat

Ive also used a hair drier and an iron to heated up an oil stain and force it out of the pores, sometimes it works and a lot of the time it make sfa difference.

Trying to restore an old stock can be quit therapuetic and frustrating at the same time :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Nov 2022, 7:43 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Hi Guys
While I am aware of the use of steam to remove dents and grime as well as acetone to remove oils, I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation?
Both guns have a ground in dark stain around the pistol grip and forend areas where the finish either wasn't or has worn through.
The stocks are checkered so basically I do not want to sand either of them any more than essential.

Thanks in advance

A pic might help
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Nov 2022, 9:25 pm

Apollo wrote:Well, I've been on this Forum since almost it's beginning and I've seen those that come and go....

Apollo, I understand where you're coming from. But we all start out with buggerall knowledge.

Perhaps you could help them.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 09 Nov 2022, 8:36 am

Apollo wrote:.......... I don't know what comments you are going to get BUT ...this Forum I don't think any of any value.

Hence why I have little to say anymore.... too many kids and too many "d**kheads" here..........

Because this contribution is so valuable, at least you're always such a sunny personality :lol:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Nov 2022, 5:02 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Hi Guys

Thanks in advance

You haven't indicated,,,,,,
Are you wanting to restore it to its original show room glory,,,, or just make it look "well looked after",,,,,, or maybe somewhere in between ?

Me personally,,, I'd rub it back carefully with steel wool and then re oil it,, leaving the stains in it, because they have personality. :drinks:

Apollo,,,,,,,, did you stumble through the solarium doorway again :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 09 Nov 2022, 7:27 pm

I will add my experience to the conversation.

If you have an oil finish, and the above cleaning tips do not get the desired result, then a simple re-finish may be in order. It may be that once you have cleaned it a bit, then other faults or marks may still be evident. Then using 0000 steel woll, you can rub the finish back. This does not remove any filler or stain, but will flatten it off for a re-coat.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 10 Nov 2022, 6:40 am

I really do not have good photos yet.
Probably cannot get for a few weeks.
essentially on both guns the finish has worn through and the timber has taken on a dark patina from grime.
Ideally I want to remove what I can of the grime. I am not trying to refinish just restore with a clean. This will probably also require a light rub down with 000 steel wool before a waxing. But I donot want to seal in the grime.
The Brno has probably 80% of the original finish intact except around the carry point (carried not shot this one).
The Beretta, being a trap gun. has very dark areas around the forend and pistol grip from use and probably over oiling (so the checkered areas).
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 10 Nov 2022, 7:22 pm

If the finish has worn off then the only way to fix that is to re-do it. Wax will not do that, it will look different from what I have done.

I think that to clean the timber will need a combination of rubbing, steaming, and cleanig with solvents and detergents. And then re-oil it if it is an oil finish.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Nov 2022, 7:19 am

GQshayne wrote:If the finish has worn off then the only way to fix that is to re-do it. Wax will not do that, it will look different from what I have done.

I think that to clean the timber will need a combination of rubbing, steaming, and cleanig with solvents and detergents. And then re-oil it if it is an oil finish.

I would have agreed with your synopsis, and over the years have done dozens of stocks this way (but this is a full refinish), but I confess these responses have given me methods I was not familiar with and see as very worthwhile. Recently I did a Westley Richards that someone had decided looked better with chocolate varnish. So stripped it back, replaced the missing horn forend tip, steamed and oh so lightly sanded before oiling and it now still shows some patina and even dents and scratches but it looks much much better. No chocolate muck. Clear sharp checkering. Just a used cared for gun. This is what I wish to emulate.

I do not mind if the wax is different to the varnish. That is OK for the Brno as it is 1952 (I think, maybe 57) model 5 first year of manufacture. It was obviously carried a lot more than used.
It shoots almost as well as my Anschutz 54.

The Beretta is oil finished 2nd hand unit from Cleaver and still in transit. Actually still up on the site. It is distinctly darkened on the forend and RHS of pistol grip. Nothing horrendous but I think a gentle clean will be worthwhile.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 11 Nov 2022, 7:32 pm

straightshooter wrote:LawrenceA
That darkening (or so called patina) is mostly grime and residual oils from human sweat mixed together.
Some of the aggressive solvents suggested so far will tend entrench the stains rather than remove them.
My suggestion is to use distilled (or deionised) water optionally with about 5% metho added using a gentle brush to get into the checkering grooves and a soft cloth on smooth surfaces. Repeat until a clean cloth no longer picks up grime or you are happy with the result.
Distilled water is an excellent solvent for human exudations.
By the way this is how some luthiers clean million dollar Stradivarius violins.

Apollo
I can't help but agree with some of your incisive comments..

This is the go. Human grease and grime will need to be broken down to remove. Alcohol will do this well, as will mild detergents like a spray and wipe. Spray on and wipe off quickly. Use a rough cloth or a white magic sponge. Work slowly until you are happy. Don’t spray it in and let it soak in. It may bite a bit too much.You are often left with a clean patch if the sweat and oils has affected the original finish. Blending it in is the challenge. I hate built up dirt on timber.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 11 Nov 2022, 8:18 pm

There is no softly easy approach to removing staining, once you get the oil and crud out of the timber its normally a bit of experimentation with lightly acidic solutions to lighten the timber. When it comes to timber, tannin rich timer will darken with basic solutions and lighten with acidic one. Pour drain cleaner on some bare walnut and it will go very dark almost instantly - squeezing lemon juice on darkened timber will result in light 'staining' spots.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2022, 9:23 am

Dish washing soap or scrapers are the solution

https://youtu.be/DmZCE8cFqnM

https://youtu.be/7NLQEmwAvo4
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing