Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by pilotsignal » 16 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm

I used to visit Hill Top Shooting Range in NSW for my .223 practice.
Since September this year, this range is closed until further notice and I am unable to locate, any and I mean it, any! shooting range for my centre fire .223 rifle which provides 100-300m shooting distance.
I checked all I could find on the net such as:
- Sydney International Shooting Centre - only 50m .22
- St Marys Indoor Shooting Centre - .22 only
- Western Sydney Rifle Club - can't reach on the phone, no response on my voice messages so far
- German rifle club - Air only
- SSAA Silverdale Rifle Range - can't reach on the phone, no response on my voice messages so far
- Nowra Shooting Range - can't reach on the phone, no response on my voice messages so far
Also, contacted SSAA without much help.
I live in Wollongong, NSW and can't drive more than 3 hours one way. So, if anyone can help me to find a shooting range I can use, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.
Last edited by pilotsignal on 16 Nov 2022, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilotsignal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 56
New South Wales

Re: Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Nov 2022, 8:38 pm

How long does it take you to drive to Canberra, there is a 500 metre and 1000 metre range there.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3199
New South Wales

Re: Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by pilotsignal » 16 Nov 2022, 9:10 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How long does it take you to drive to Canberra, there is a 500 metre and 1000 metre range there.


Last time I drove to Canberra it took me over 3 hours one way. Too far to visit more or less regularly.
BTW, will my NSW firearm licence be valid in ACT? I am not sure.
pilotsignal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 56
New South Wales

Re: Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2022, 9:16 pm

pilotsignal wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:How long does it take you to drive to Canberra, there is a 500 metre and 1000 metre range there.


Last time I drove to Canberra it took me over 3 hours one way. Too far to visit more or less regularly.
BTW, will my NSW firearm licence be valid in ACT? I am not sure.


Yes, your licence is valid in all states.
Any firearms must be legal in any states you enter though.
If you go to WA you need temporary permits for firearms as they don't recognise other state's registrations.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12623
Victoria

Re: Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2022, 9:19 pm

pilotsignal wrote:I used to visit Hill Top Shooting Range in NSW for my .223 practice.
Since September this year, this range is closed until further notice and I am unable to locate, any and I mean it, any! shooting range for my centre fire .223 rifle which provides 100-300m shooting distance.
I checked all I could find on the net such as:
- Sydney International Shooting Centre - only 50m .22
- St Marys Indoor Shooting Centre - .22 only
- Western Sydney Rifle Club - can't reach on the phone, no response on my voice messages so far
- German rifle club - Air only
- SSAA Silverdale Rifle Range - can't reach on the phone, no response on my voice messages so far
- Nowra Shooting Range - can't reach on the phone, no response on my voice messages so far
Also, contacted SSAA without much help.
I live in Wollongong, NSW and can't drive more than 3 hours one way. So, if anyone can help me to find a shooting range I can use, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.


Only one that comes to mind that's not on your list is ANZAC in Sydney. I don't know the range so I don't know which clubs use it but contact Military Rifle Clubs Association.
If you're on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MRCA303
Otherwise [url]mrca.com.au[/url]
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12623
Victoria

Re: Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by pilotsignal » 16 Nov 2022, 10:58 pm

Just learnt on SSAA website that Silverdale Rifle Range has just been re-open from 21.10.22
Already booked for this Saturday :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for trying to help.
pilotsignal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 56
New South Wales

Re: Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by in2anity » 17 Nov 2022, 10:39 am

ANZAC SSAA literally open every Saturday from 100m,200m,300m rotation, per the MRCA calendar. Not restricted to the school chair at silverdale.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
User avatar
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3028
New South Wales

Re: Help with locating a shooting range, PLEASE!

Post by pilotsignal » 17 Nov 2022, 8:46 pm

in2anity wrote:ANZAC SSAA literally open every Saturday from 100m,200m,300m rotation, per the MRCA calendar. Not restricted to the school chair at silverdale.


Since I've already booked Silverdale I will go there. But next time will visit ANZAC range.
Thank you. Much appreciated.
pilotsignal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 56
New South Wales


Back to top
 
Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges