The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by IanSM » 04 Oct 2022, 11:29 am

G'day All. Older shooter .Returned to the fold in last couple of years after son bought a property in rural SA. Mostly punching paper and some hunting. Foxes ,cats etc but looking to do more with son who is keen as well. Been a visitor on here for sometime but decided it was time to sign up.Looking forward to interesting chats and useful information.
IanSM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by soundfanz » 10 Oct 2022, 2:10 pm

Hi all

I shot a lot as a youngster, foxes, rabbits and pigs. Getting on a bit now and took up archery and bowhunting 2 years ago. As I live in Brisbane I needed an R Licence to hunt in NSW as I don't know any property owners in QLD to hunt their properties. Have done 4 hunts so far, at Attunga, Butterleaf, Forest Land state forests.
Haven't managed to nail a deer or goat yet, but will persist as I like the challenge that bowhunting brings. IE, getting within 30-40 metres to take an ethical shot.
But have seen heaps of goats, and a few deer here and there.
Wanting to try Parkhurst State Forest next, but unable to find out whether it has goats. :)
soundfanz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bushwalker » 16 Nov 2022, 3:33 pm

Hi all

Hunter based in Vic looking to expand my game species list. Usually shoot shotgun/rimfire at foxes/rabbits/waterfowl just getting into hunting deer.

Cheers and happy trails
Bushwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by pagun » 29 Nov 2022, 8:50 pm

Gday im matt from south australia. New shooter. Lookin to hunt ferals in sa private properties, west vic state forests and nsw state forests when i get my r-license. Lookin for hunt buddies; thanks for having me!
Tikka t3x superlite aspire 308 / pard ds35 70lrf night vision.
Sulun tac-12 12 guage / hawke reflexdot.
CZ455 stainless american 22lr / pard ds35 50lrf night vision.
Hikmicro LE10 Thermal handheld
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by retorts » 02 Feb 2023, 11:30 am

:drinks: I'm an American that retired from the military a few years ago... Got to spend some time in Kuwait in 2001-2002 with Australian Military personnel... Found this site about a month ago and looking at how things are done in different parts of the world... I remember the first time I had Vegemite and the Australian Military can openers that were different than ours, if I remember correctly they were called FRED (f***ing ridiculous eating device)... Been hunting deer for 20+ years and several years ago I lived in an area that was big on hog hunting also... I love the joke threads... I am here to read but will answer any questions anybody may have...
retorts
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by TasDan22 » 08 Apr 2023, 11:16 am

G’day everyone,

Dan here from northern Tasmania. Just completed my firearm training for Cat A & B, and have a .22 on the way. I’ll be shooting all the bastard rabbits on our property but am also looking to find a club where I might learn some good technique and get some practise in. Have contacted Sheffield Rifle Club in that regard as it looks like they might cater for field rifle shooting.

Anyway, I have much to learn and will be reading widely across these forums. Appreciate being here amounts like minded people. Take care and have a great Easter,

Regards,
Dan
TasDan22
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Country girl » 08 May 2023, 9:42 am

Hi I'm from Victoria.
Very interested in hunting/shooting.
Love to hear any advice and tips.
Love being in the country.
Want to learn to live off the land more and process my own meat in time.
Country girl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2023, 6:11 pm

Country girl wrote:Hi I'm from Victoria.
Very interested in hunting/shooting.
Love to hear any advice and tips.
Love being in the country.
Want to learn to live off the land more and process my own meat in time.

What area of Victoria are you in? This weekend there's a deer expo at Lardner Park.
Attachments
Resized_20230420_082959.jpeg
Resized_20230420_082959.jpeg (290.6 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 11 May 2023, 6:28 pm

TasDan22 wrote:G’day everyone,

Dan here from northern Tasmania. Just completed my firearm training for Cat A & B, and have a .22 on the way. I’ll be shooting all the bastard rabbits on our property but am also looking to find a club where I might learn some good technique and get some practise in. Have contacted Sheffield Rifle Club in that regard as it looks like they might cater for field rifle shooting.

Anyway, I have much to learn and will be reading widely across these forums. Appreciate being here amounts like minded people. Take care and have a great Easter,

Regards,
Dan

Depending on where abouts up north you are, there is a decent range that operates out of campbell town from memory (Tasmanian Rifle Association).
They regularly operate .22 practice/competitions and cater for large calibres too, can shoot from 300 yards out to 1500 yards if memory serves me correctly.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Barrettboy » 23 Jun 2023, 5:46 pm

Hello all. Just joined, based in Brisbane. Mostly shoot out of Ipswich/Ripley SSAA.

I currently own a Ruger M96 lever action in 22WMR (a fun little gun), a Volquartsen Summit in 22LR (which is driving me INSANE), and a Tikka T3x .223 full varmint in a Sporter stock (which is an absolute tack driver with Sako ammo).

Will eventually post about my little Ruger M96, and about the issues with my Summit.

Cheers!
Barrettboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2023, 5:26 pm

Welcome to the forum barretboy
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnnyM » 01 Jul 2023, 7:26 am

Gday all.

Just joined and just started clays at my local club. Complete newbie, so will be trawling the forum for all the knowledge and advice I can get.

Based in NSW and started hitting the club with my friend and neighbour who's been shooting for decades.

Cheers
Johnny.
JohnnyM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2023, 6:19 pm

JohnnyM wrote:Gday all.

Just joined and just started clays at my local club. Complete newbie, so will be trawling the forum for all the knowledge and advice I can get.

Based in NSW and started hitting the club with my friend and neighbour who's been shooting for decades.

Cheers
Johnny.

Welcome to the forum johnny
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gravel » 09 Jul 2023, 1:59 pm

G'day all.
Retired computer bloke here, back into shooting now my time's my own again; what's left of it.
No idea why I haven't stumbled over this forum before; but your luck's run out, I'm here now. ;)
It's hard for me to act my age, I've never been this old before.
gravel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Iroquois ocelot » 12 Jul 2023, 12:50 am

Hello there,

If il can describe myself in two word it would be this : gun nerd, like Ian mcollum from forgotten weapons.

Other than that, i have à love for old military gun of old sort like the borchardt c93 when it come handgun and the maxim "pom-pom" in 37 MM when it come to autocannon, you get the point.

Im also a huge gun right supporter but thats an another subject.

Greeting from France.
Iroquois ocelot
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Beeza » 27 Oct 2023, 7:35 pm

G'day guys&gals, started with firearms when I was about 4 or 5 years old, playing with granddad's 30oh (no body called the police), target shooting with air rifles in the backyard when I was older (no body called the police).
Got back into firearms after 96 and worked as an RSO for about 10 years.
Mainly collect milsurps, bayonets and swords and a bit of target shooting. Used to do a bit of hunting but these days the old body said no more.
Beeza
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2023, 11:49 am

Welcome to the forum beeza
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Oct 2023, 4:21 pm

G'day Beeza,
Welcome aboard, sounds like we have similar life arcs (except swords, no bloody way bayonets are hard enough without going into swords!!) Name indicate owner or former? I had a '52 A10 Plunger and a '71 A65 OIF once, traded the Lightning for a Morgo kitted T120. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TuskerOrd » 29 Oct 2023, 11:04 am

Hi All. Stumbled onto this forum while doing research on how to legally travel to and from WA with firearms as my brother lives in Perth and I thought It would be great to compete in one of the local matches while visiting.

I’m currently living on Kapiti in New Zealand, enjoying the laid back lifestyle. I’m into reloading, projectile manufacturing, club shooting, PRS, positional shooting and I even get time to do little bit of gunsmithing - If you ever come across a rifle with a JacoX serial number it’s out out of my shop.
TuskerOrd
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Beeza » 29 Oct 2023, 6:18 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Beeza,
Welcome aboard, sounds like we have similar life arcs (except swords, no bloody way bayonets are hard enough without going into swords!!) Name indicate owner or former? I had a '52 A10 Plunger and a '71 A65 OIF once, traded the Lightning for a Morgo kitted T120. Cheers.

G'day No1Mk3 , "Beeza" because I own a lot of BSA rifles, more by accident than design, target, sporting and milsurps. Most of my milsurps have the appropriate bayonet, oil bottles, chargers except my M39. Would love a genuine "SkY"
Unashamed sword nerd but only replicas because I like to chop stuff up and would hate to destroy an original.
I'm not much of a bike guy, hammered the guts out of my little Bridgestone as a kid, wish I still had it. A work M8 back in the day had a new Lightning and the old man owned a Tiger. Just for sentimental reasons would like a 350GTR. cheers M8
Beeza
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hogking » 19 Dec 2023, 9:02 am

Hello fellow hunters, here in victoria after running away from nz. Down in hog country (hence my name) and got a large block to not need to ask permission to hunt others private properties. Have joined the ada to support the fight against the concrete jungle crowd that domiciles in melbourne. Am a very experienced tahr hunter and shot an 11 yr old bull last week with a traditional bow, now that's hunting with an h, very nerve wrecking stuff.
Happy to pass on my nz knowledge and I suppose hog deer as well seeing as I live with them every day, like having a zoo here.
Cheers Dusty
Hogking
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by SneakyPigeon22 » 17 Mar 2024, 8:26 am

Hello folks, new member here from VIC. Originally from South Africa, my dad was a gunsmith (Musgrave) and master engraver by trade when I grew up so spent many hours reloading for-, shooting and cleaning a wide variety of firearms in my youth. Hadn't had much involvement in the industry for the last 20-odd years and recently got back into it and loving every moment of it again.

I enjoy both target shooting and hunting here in VIC and reloading for my trusty Tikka T3. When I'm not shooting I enjoy load development and general tinkering, restoration and maintenance of my modest arsenal. I've recently refinished the stock on my little Savage MKII to get that factory-finish walnut to show it's true colours and like most of you I'm sure, have a long shopping list of things I'm still after. Don't tell my misso though :)

Glad to be here!
"Aim small, miss small"

- SSAA VIC Member
- Hunter and Target Shooter

https://www.martipedia.org/
SneakyPigeon22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2024, 11:12 am

SneakyPigeon22 wrote:Hello folks, new member here from VIC. Originally from South Africa, my dad was a gunsmith (Musgrave) and master engraver by trade when I grew up so spent many hours reloading for-, shooting and cleaning a wide variety of firearms in my youth. Hadn't had much involvement in the industry for the last 20-odd years and recently got back into it and loving every moment of it again.

I enjoy both target shooting and hunting here in VIC and reloading for my trusty Tikka T3. When I'm not shooting I enjoy load development and general tinkering, restoration and maintenance of my modest arsenal. I've recently refinished the stock on my little Savage MKII to get that factory-finish walnut to show it's true colours and like most of you I'm sure, have a long shopping list of things I'm still after. Don't tell my misso though :)

Glad to be here!

Welcome to the forum mate.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation