Which Diesel ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Which Diesel ?

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Dec 2022, 11:55 pm

Looking for guidance/suggestions from those on here that play around with differing engines.
I'm looking at getting a smallish diesel engine,, 4 cylinder and definitely water cooled,,
Its sole purpose will be to direct drive a hydraulic pump which in turn will operate a couple of small double acting cylinders and two hydraulic motors.

I'll be wanting a fairly basic and simple motor that is reliable and fuel efficient,, and preferably without Hi Tech computer and associated electronics.
Somewhere in the vicinity of 30 HP minimum up to maybe 60 HP

What say the guru's re Make, Model etc ?

I'll most likely be looking at 2nd hand ones from Auto Dismantlers.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Which Diesel ?

Post by Lazarus » 15 Dec 2022, 9:44 am

Perkins
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 15 Dec 2022, 9:57 am

https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/adve ... ne/303968/

Could something like that be of benefit to your application? Have you already got the hydraulic pump etc?

I've done a bit of fitting small diesels to trucks/ag equipment to run ancillary hydraulics/air conditioners etc.

Kubota/Perkins are generally very reliable and easy to get parts for but I reckon trying to buy a second hand Hydraulic Pack may cover all your bases and be cost effective/work out better in the long run.

Having said that, keep an eye on auction sites for various small engines going, if you're willing to muck around with couplers/drive pulleys/ etc. it could be a goer!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MtnMan » 15 Dec 2022, 12:25 pm

Perkins or Kubota. That's what we use to drive pumps for the tomato farm
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 15 Dec 2022, 12:25 pm

Perkins or Kubota. That's what we use to drive pumps for the tomato farm.

Why definitely water cooled? We also have an air cooled Lister diesel that runs a pump. Great unit.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2022, 1:13 pm

Not spent much time looking at diesels but I had an '81 HiLux with a 2.2 litre engine that was probably in that horsepower range, enough to push an empty HiLux to about 100kph on the flat. Fuel economy was horrendous though, the same fuel usage as when I swapped it for a 253 V8 that made heaps more power.

We have a diesel donkey engine here still that is too heavy for anybody to consider taking it away. Runs about 60rpm or something like that. Bob used it to run his timber mill I think. Has a huge flywheel that you destroy yourself winding up to speed then release the decompressor to fire it up. He mounted it to a slab of tree about 400mm square and 2.5m long.

Die Judicii wrote:Looking for guidance/suggestions from those on here that play around with differing engines.
I'm looking at getting a smallish diesel engine,, 4 cylinder and definitely water cooled,,
Its sole purpose will be to direct drive a hydraulic pump which in turn will operate a couple of small double acting cylinders and two hydraulic motors.

I'll be wanting a fairly basic and simple motor that is reliable and fuel efficient,, and preferably without Hi Tech computer and associated electronics.
Somewhere in the vicinity of 30 HP minimum up to maybe 60 HP

What say the guru's re Make, Model etc ?

I'll most likely be looking at 2nd hand ones from Auto Dismantlers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Dec 2022, 7:51 pm

Clayton T88

Thanks for that Mate I never thought about a self contained engine driven Power Pack,,,,, worth looking into.
No, I haven't got anything at all regarding pumps and or motors yet.
This is for a project that only exists in my head at this stage, and can't physically start yet till I get quite a few other obstacles out of the way.

But, I've started making basic plans on paper. That's the easy part.
I know what I want, and how I want it to work,,,,, but lacking in knowledge of what size (gpm) pumps, and psi needs of any hyd motors etc,,,,,,,,
to be able to achieve my end goal without throwing away $$$ on stuff that wouldn't be up to the task.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Dec 2022, 7:54 pm

MtnMan wrote:Perkins or Kubota. That's what we use to drive pumps for the tomato farm.

Why definitely water cooled? We also have an air cooled Lister diesel that runs a pump. Great unit.

Water cooled because it will be running in a fairly confined space with a distinct lack of air flow thru, across, around, it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Dec 2022, 7:58 pm

Blade,,
Well I think I'll cross Hilux off the list. :lol:

And the donkey sounds too slow by far,,, and the other thing I'm gonna have to do is keep weight down fairly low.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Larry » 16 Dec 2022, 7:32 am

The other place to get motors like that is from electrical generators. The motors are often next to new and may only have very few hours of run time on them. There are a couple of brands that use Perkins engines.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2022, 12:47 pm

4-53 Detroit diesel. :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2022, 1:20 pm

bigrich wrote:4-53 Detroit diesel. :P

There's a rabbit farm near us that has a huge Scania engine in the carport running a generator to power the place. That would be pretty awesome but it must tear through fuel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 16 Dec 2022, 2:17 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Clayton T88

Thanks for that Mate I never thought about a self contained engine driven Power Pack,,,,, worth looking into.
No, I haven't got anything at all regarding pumps and or motors yet.
This is for a project that only exists in my head at this stage, and can't physically start yet till I get quite a few other obstacles out of the way.

But, I've started making basic plans on paper. That's the easy part.
I know what I want, and how I want it to work,,,,, but lacking in knowledge of what size (gpm) pumps, and psi needs of any hyd motors etc,,,,,,,,
to be able to achieve my end goal without throwing away $$$ on stuff that wouldn't be up to the task.

No probs, fitting Ice Packs and Rig Masters to trucks and ag vehicles gave me a real big appreciation for those self contained units, they're designed to pack a fair punch for the size of hydraulics/pump they're mated to. We've got a mob called BL Shipways here in Adelaide that can help out with the designing/packaging of systems for hydraulic units and whatnot. Not sure who would be a similar all in one shop up your way.

Possibly even your local Ag dealership/ truck hydraulics joint could help a bit further or guide you towards someone who may know more.

Hydraulics can get pretty expensive real quick and generally the buy once, cry once principal rang true for the first 3 or 4 systems we helped developed with Rig Master, a canadian brand who wanted to launch into Australia.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2022, 3:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:4-53 Detroit diesel. :P

There's a rabbit farm near us that has a huge Scania engine in the carport running a generator to power the place. That would be pretty awesome but it must tear through fuel.

the 4-53 detroit is popular in f150's and silverados in the USA . 3-53's are also a good fit in fj40 cruisers . there's a bit of stuff on youtube regarding this .
i'd like a old dodge D5N or a old international in the 3-4 ton range with a 4-53 . as a stationary engine perkins have a good rep . i think some of the smaller CAT engines are popular in the USA also .

it's not a deisel but i've seen holden red and gray sixes set up in sawmills ;) .
a good old nissan TD27 could be found for stuff all and set up as a stationary engine . as their a cut down TD42 their bullet proof and run forever . gear driven cam (no belt or chain) , and their a pushrod ,cast head . i had a terrano years ago , and while not fast , it was a super solid vehicle . i know from playing around with them a non turbo TD27 out of a early nissan ute were really cheap , and a lot of the parts interchange with the TD42 . so spares aren't hard to come by
:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 21 Dec 2022, 10:11 am

kubota is what we run on a.p.u systems on trucks and they do well i like it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America