How much did each snake cost ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

How much did each snake cost ?

Post by Tiger650 » 05 Jan 2023, 6:25 pm

Approx 200km round trip for the snake catchers, perhaps nobody working on the levee had a shovel ?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-05/ ... /101829854

Plainly taxpayer's money has little value.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: How much did each snake cost ?

Post by bigpete » 05 Jan 2023, 8:53 pm

Considering its illegal to kill snakes.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 05 Jan 2023, 9:04 pm

bigpete wrote:Considering its illegal to kill snakes.....

Not if you believe they are a danger to human life they are not
That and if their anywhere near a $3,000 working dog wriggle stick gets broken
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jan 2023, 9:09 pm

deye243 wrote:

Yep but I just catch them with a length of cord and some conduit. Then relocate using a rubbish bin.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 05 Jan 2023, 9:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Yep but I just catch them with a length of cord and some conduit. Then relocate using a rubbish bin.

Tell me more ...... how to use the cord and the pipe
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 05 Jan 2023, 9:31 pm

deye243 wrote:

Its illegal without a permit under any circumstances (in Victoria at least).
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2023, 9:51 pm

Not,,,,,,, If they are attacking you.
Then it's open season.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 05 Jan 2023, 10:06 pm

Funny thing, on the road, in the paddock, in the scrub they're protected and can go their way, in the yard where my dogs lived, they had a strange tendency to explode.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2023, 11:06 pm

deye243 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Tell me more ...... how to use the cord and the pipe

I would assume you run the cord down the conduit to form a loop that you can catch the beast with, pull the loop tight and move it elsewhere for release.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 06 Jan 2023, 1:18 am

Lazarus wrote:Funny thing, on the road, in the paddock, in the scrub they're protected and can go their way, in the yard where my dogs lived, they had a strange tendency to explode.

I camp with dogs and I’ve noticed them explode on occasion. Weirdest thing, just this really loud bang.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 06 Jan 2023, 1:20 am

Fionn wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Mate you can’t wipe your bum in Victoria without a permit
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2023, 2:37 am

bladeracer wrote:

Tell me more ...... how to use the cord and the pipe[/quote]

I would assume you run the cord down the conduit to form a loop that you can catch the beast with, pull the loop tight and move it elsewhere for release.[/quote]

Close.

Cord has a loop tied on one end. Then cord is run down the conduit leaving the loop exposed at one end. Just pull on the cord to catch the Joe Blake. In the bin and about 2k up the road. Catch 1 just about every year. Hosing cold water on them seems to slow them down too.

Beats the broom and bin method hands down. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 06 Jan 2023, 7:02 am

Fionn wrote:
deye243 wrote:

I reckon snakes and Dan's crew share much DNA so I can see how that works.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 06 Jan 2023, 9:03 am

I reckon there's a whole lot of sooks in this thread. And the whole killing them if human life is threatened thing,to make it legal requires a bunch of paperwork from what I've heard.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 06 Jan 2023, 9:04 am

womble wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Funny thing, on the road, in the paddock, in the scrub they're protected and can go their way, in the yard where my dogs lived, they had a strange tendency to explode.

I camp with dogs and I’ve noticed them explode on occasion. Weirdest thing, just this really loud bang.

:lol: :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2023, 9:39 am

There is a short bit of dowel glued in the end of the conduit to stop the knot falling through and better hold the snake without harming the smaller ones.
Personally I've never killed a snake. But caught and released a few now.

I guess that's illegal too. :violin:
Do I need a license for that weapon too?

Resized_20230106_103012.jpeg
Resized_20230106_103012.jpeg (266.38 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 06 Jan 2023, 11:07 am

bigpete wrote:I reckon there's a whole lot of sooks in this thread. And the whole killing them if human life is threatened thing,to make it legal requires a bunch of paperwork from what I've heard.

Ever been chased by a taipan.
Western QLD many moons ago. Took my dogs to water and it followed us back up the track. And it was fast. And it was big. And it was pissed off.
Anecdotally on that same trip a funnel web tried to pick a fight with me in a bush dunny. I s**t you not. I walked in there and he reared up on his back legs and started swinging. I would have shot him too but it wasn’t my dunny.

But that said, I’ve stepped on tigers and browns in Victoria and they haven’t complained.
I wouldn’t shoot one just because.
I actually like snakes. So long as they don’t start any s**t.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Jan 2023, 11:47 am

womble wrote:I wouldn’t shoot one just because.

My sentiments exactly.
I feel sorry for them, they didn't choose to be snakes, unlike politicians, but I've lived with them most of my life and there have to be boundaries.
For 13yrs I lived 15km away on the other side of the property in a house located in the apparent Tiger Snake epicentre of the planet, had them in the bathroom, under the fridge, and one came out from under the lounge one night, and they were all super aggressive.
$5000 in anti venom to save dogs over that period, so in the yard or the house, a visible tiger was a dead tiger.
On this side there are a few Browns about but they're well mannered if you don't surprise or hassle them, although the babies are a worry.

There's also a huge red belly black that rules the area around the house dam and will check you out and go back to sunbathing, casual as anything.

I don't actually like killing anything, even ferals, but sometimes it is what it is.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 06 Jan 2023, 1:33 pm

womble wrote:
bigpete wrote:I reckon there's a whole lot of sooks in this thread. And the whole killing them if human life is threatened thing,to make it legal requires a bunch of paperwork from what I've heard.

Ever been chased by a taipan.
Western QLD many moons ago. Took my dogs to water and it followed us back up the track. And it was fast. And it was big. And it was pissed off.
Anecdotally on that same trip a funnel web tried to pick a fight with me in a bush dunny. I s**t you not. I walked in there and he reared up on his back legs and started swinging. I would have shot him too but it wasn’t my dunny.

But that said, I’ve stepped on tigers and browns in Victoria and they haven’t complained.
I wouldn’t shoot one just because.

I've lived for several months in a tin shed surrounded by swamps full of tiger snakes,it was nothing to see a dozen within a 500m walk,and yes they were cranky. I've been tagged by browns. So yeah, I've had plenty of experience with snakes. Still don't ever kill them
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 06 Jan 2023, 1:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:There is a short bit of dowel glued in the end of the conduit to stop the knot falling through and better hold the snake without harming the smaller ones.

Thank you very much I gather you wouldn't want to try and catch your a snake if the pipe was too big in diameter could get interesting real quick.
Now on another note a very long time ago I actually killed a snake in the driveway across the road and was actually praised by the copper that being the husband to the woman across the road might have had something to do with that...
but since then while talking with cops I always managed to bring in the snake thing and all but one of them said made if it's in your backyard we don't have a problem with it if it's out on the street we do have a problem with it the cop that didn't think like that said he didn't care where they were long as you killed it because there are kids in the neighbourhood .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2023, 2:41 pm

"if the pipe was too big in diameter could get interesting real quick."

Lol. I hadn't thought of that. I did it because if I yanked too hard on the cord the smaller snakes would perhaps get damaged organs or spine.

FYI the conduit is about 1.3 meters long. Permanently hanging in the garden shed these days.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2023, 6:37 pm

Oldbloke wrote:There is a short bit of dowel glued in the end of the conduit to stop the knot falling through and better hold the snake without harming the smaller ones.

You probably do need some sort of permit to interfere with native wildlife, it's illegal to even take a dead snake off a road.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 06 Jan 2023, 6:53 pm

I've relocated a few using a pool leaf scoop back when we were on a few acres (small blacks and tigers). Wouldn't be keen to move the BIG black that eventually bit our jack russell or a cranky brown on a hot day. That big black might have ended up dead, though I suspect it wasn't long for life anyway as the JR had ripped it to pieces before I managed to drag him away.

Got a standing ovation after successfully relocating a baby brown with a bucket and shovel in front of a large group of public at work. Funny thing was the bucket that was over it was in a different spot when I came back with a broom and shovel - a couple of fellow co-workers were a little wide eyed as it had managed to squeeze out from underneath in the meantime before they got the bucket over it again.

OB I like your thingy, might rig something similar up for work as I seem to be the one that gets called to deal with them mostly :roll:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2023, 9:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:

You probably do need some sort of permit to interfere with native wildlife, it's illegal to even take a dead snake off a road.

Fionn, would you pls stop telling me what I'm doing is illegal. :lol:
Guilty again, moved a nice tiger of the road 3 or 4 weeks ago. Nice looking specimen too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2023, 10:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:You probably do need some sort of permit to interfere with native wildlife, it's illegal to even take a dead snake off a road.

Fionn, would you pls stop telling me what I'm doing is illegal. :lol:
Guilty again, moved a nice tiger of the road 3 or 4 weeks ago. Nice looking specimen too.

That was me actually :-)
I know about the wildlife side of it as there was an artist that for years had been collecting specimens of roadkill and creating sculpture and such out of them. When he learned what he was doing was illegal he held a large exhibition before, I think, destroying everything. Really stupid law that makes no sense to me. A mate and I drove from Perth to Melbourne in '92 to race at Broadford and found a pair of wedgetail eagles on the Nullabor that had been cleaned up by a road train. One was a mess but the other was mostly intact. My mate thought they might make a nice mount so we took them onboard and went to a taxidermist when we got to Perth. Even back then it was explained to us that we really needed permits to have possession of them.

When we had roo issues a few years back I really didn't want the rigmarole of getting roo tags to drop some of them to entice them to go elsewhere so it occurred to me that I could just shoot near them to scare them off, but I looked carefully through the relevant legislation and decided that even doing that would legally constitute interfering with them, thus illegal. And yet we can erect fences and such to control them (you have to show the control measures you've already put in place when applying for cull permits) and that's not illegal. It's quite a messy area of law I think. I would much rather educate people to relocate snakes than have people killing them.

With roadkill we still stop and toss it into the nearest paddock if possible so wildlife can't drag it back onto the road and get themselves added to the tally.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Barbarian » 07 Jan 2023, 11:44 pm

Nice rig, I've always just used an old steel rake I use for burning wind rows that I re-handled with a piece of dowel from bunnings thats about 2m long.

I get tigers and western browns among others in the house all the time, I usually just take them up to my back fence and nine times out of ten they run away through the fence toward the national park.

Worth noting that in WA we're protected against killing protected snakes as per a clause in the Wildlife Conservation Act if there is a perceived danger in private and public property, doesn't apply to national parks/crown land however.

Other states legislation may vary however.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 08 Jan 2023, 5:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Fionn, would you pls stop telling me what I'm doing is illegal. :lol:

A little bit obsessed with me are you? :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 08 Jan 2023, 5:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I know about the wildlife side of it as there was an artist that for years had been collecting specimens of roadkill and creating sculpture and such out of them. When he learned what he was doing was illegal he held a large exhibition before, I think, destroying everything. Really stupid law that makes no sense to me. A mate and I drove from Perth to Melbourne in '92 to race at Broadford and found a pair of wedgetail eagles on the Nullabor that had been cleaned up by a road train. One was a mess but the other was mostly intact. My mate thought they might make a nice mount so we took them onboard and went to a taxidermist when we got to Perth. Even back then it was explained to us that we really needed permits to have possession of them.

The law is there for a twofold reason, it stops people killing animals to use them as products or in your friends case, "Art". Acknowledge that you say they use roadkill, but what happens if there isn't enough roadkill for the fickle art market demands. :unknown:

The second one is that its often hard to catch people actually killing the animals, so this law enables prosecution of those found in possession of animals.

As an example look at the morons who post here in public about illegally killing native animals and claim they just explode.

Your artist friend could have just gotten a permit instead of destroying the art, although I am not sure that was a bad thing in any case. :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2023, 6:17 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The law is there for a twofold reason, it stops people killing animals to use them as products or in your friends case, "Art". Acknowledge that you say they use roadkill, but what happens if there isn't enough roadkill for the fickle art market demands. :unknown:

The second one is that its often hard to catch people actually killing the animals, so this law enables prosecution of those found in possession of animals.

As an example look at the morons who post here in public about illegally killing native animals and claim they just explode.

Your artist friend could have just gotten a permit instead of destroying the art, although I am not sure that was a bad thing in any case. :lol:

Obsessed? I don't think so. Just not sure if it's a good thing having you here constantly checking & commenting about what we do and if its is lawful. Your intentions are not known and that concerns me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2023, 6:30 pm

Fionn wrote:The law is there for a twofold reason, it stops people killing animals to use them as products or in your friends case, "Art". Acknowledge that you say they use roadkill, but what happens if there isn't enough roadkill for the fickle art market demands. :unknown:

Yes, I understand the reasoning behind it, I just don't see it as the best approach.

I follow a woman on FB that puts spiders into resin as ornaments and I often wonder how they ensure they're doing it lawfully. Another bloke puts sort of steampunk apparatus onto and within the remains of dead insects as artwork, again, how do they ensure the insects are sourced lawfully.

The artist wasn't somebody I knew, just an article that made headlines some years ago and stayed with me. I vaguely recall the costs involved in making his existing items legal was outrageously prohibitive but I'm working from memory. As his entire premise was that he was using roadkill so the animals that are lost on our roads are not entirely wasted or forgotten I don't know how much evidence he would have had to prove their source.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation