howa 308/30-06 opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: howa 308/30-06 opinions

Post by Biscuits » 01 Jan 2023, 2:59 pm

RE the comments on recoil. Recoil is more than the shooters ability to tolerate it. More recoil means you need better recoil management. Any shot to shot differences in the way the rifle is held will mean it starts to move differently when fired and will mean some level of change in point of impact.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2023, 3:36 pm

I did Cunnamulla plus 100 k by myself about a moth ago. That was hell took me forever Returing from westmar a couple of days ago was nowhete near as bad. I hav since worked out a better way to securely tie down my quad in my trailer so that st george to moonie melon hole roller coaster ride is now more tolerable
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Jan 2023, 4:15 pm

Blr243 wrote:I did Cunnamulla plus 100 k by myself about a moth ago. That was hell took me forever Returing from westmar a couple of days ago was nowhete near as bad. I hav since worked out a better way to securely tie down my quad in my trailer so that st george to moonie melon hole roller coaster ride is now more tolerable

yeah i passed through westmar . not much there ;) thallon is a dot on the map :)
i went out from west of toowoomba through cecil plains to surat, st george route . man , the st george to moonie highway is like a magic carpet ride compared to that route :lol:
western QLD driving is like a tinnie in a lot of chop hey ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Jan 2023, 4:17 pm

Biscuits wrote:RE the comments on recoil. Recoil is more than the shooters ability to tolerate it. More recoil means you need better recoil management. Any shot to shot differences in the way the rifle is held will mean it starts to move differently when fired and will mean some level of change in point of impact.

recoil is not a problem for me . i shoot my 9.3x62 off hand real well :)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by phill55phill » 01 Jan 2023, 5:20 pm

Stick with the sako
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2023, 8:38 pm

Rich Beware of westmar as a fuel stop. U prob alreafy know this. Returning from Cunnamulla i stuffed up and found my self in a situation Where i had to grab fuel at westmar . I was probanly tired at st george and forgot to fill up. I got hit with 2.65 per litee diesel. Normally im mote careful with how i structure my tank re fills. But i have to confess wedtmar and bollon do make great hamburgers and steak burgers
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2023, 7:24 am

Blr243 wrote:Rich Beware of westmar as a fuel stop. U prob alreafy know this. Returning from Cunnamulla i stuffed up and found my self in a situation Where i had to grab fuel at westmar . I was probanly tired at st george and forgot to fill up. I got hit with 2.65 per litee diesel. Normally im mote careful with how i structure my tank re fills. But i have to confess wedtmar and bollon do make great hamburgers and steak burgers

yeah, i'm careful about where i fuel up . pricewise and fuel qaulity wise . my vehicle is a 2007 3.0 deisel tojo prado GXL . with the factory sub tank it's got a 140 litre fuel capacity . so i tend to bypass the smaller stops and fill it right up at the bigger towns . it gets around 11 per 100 so it's got great driving range . the wagon wheelbase and coil rear suspension make it great for touring and offroad .
country servo's and pubs make great meals and have great service too . spent the night in st george on the way out to bollon and had a couple of beers and a good meal at the cobb &co pub. young blonde chick working at the pub seemed pretty keen on me too :D i thought i was imagining it , but my mate picked up on it and confirmed it. i love hunting trips :D :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 02 Jan 2023, 11:39 am

Sure she was..... ;) lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2023, 12:32 pm

bigpete wrote:Sure she was..... ;) lol

it was awesome pete . soon as i had a couple of beers , she was into me ....... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 02 Jan 2023, 1:24 pm

I bet, you smooth tongued lethario !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2023, 4:29 pm

"young blonde chick working at the pub seemed pretty keen on me too i thought i was imagining it"

Sheesh, you were.

lol chimp.gif
lol chimp.gif (284.83 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

Dreaming.jpeg
Dreaming.jpeg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2023, 4:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"young blonde chick working at the pub seemed pretty keen on me too i thought i was imagining it"

Sheesh, you were.

lol chimp.gif

Dreaming.jpeg

i have a witness , it's true i tell ya's :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2023, 6:51 pm

If its the pub on the corner near the river i was there not long ago and the young blond chick was rude to me ...... so i got buckleys chance. Not fighting u tonight for her. Shes all yours mate
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Soopyyy » 08 Jan 2023, 5:06 pm

They're accurate rifles, well built. You'll hate the action compared to the Sako though. I've got a Tikka T3X and a Howa mini action 223 and its like comparing a nicer Mercedes to a 1992 toyota coralla that's been smoked in and never serviced.
Soopyyy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2023, 3:31 pm

Soopyyy wrote:They're accurate rifles, well built. You'll hate the action compared to the Sako though. I've got a Tikka T3X and a Howa mini action 223 and its like comparing a nicer Mercedes to a 1992 toyota coralla that's been smoked in and never serviced.

yeah , i went to my local GS and looked at a couple of howas . they might be accurate , but nowhere near as nicely machined/finished as a weatherby . if only weatherby didn't have those skinny number 2 barrel profiles that need a preasure point for accuracy :roll: , i'd get one . i've considered getting a weatherby and rebarreling to a nicer barrel profile , but i'm sick of waiting 6-8 months for gunsmiths to do the job ;)

my copper monster sako 30-06 seems to be settling down , only needed 60 patches to clean after putting 20 rounds through it on the weekend . but it's doing something strange . 150 sst's shoot around half inch at 100 , but at 200 it opens up to 4" :wtf: . bullet stability ? maybe something in the rifling of the barrel upsetting the bullet concentricity/balance ?
maybe i should just keep the sako and rebarrel to 280 rem :)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 11 Jan 2023, 6:47 am

bigrich wrote:
Soopyyy wrote:They're accurate rifles, well built. You'll hate the action compared to the Sako though. I've got a Tikka T3X and a Howa mini action 223 and its like comparing a nicer Mercedes to a 1992 toyota coralla that's been smoked in and never serviced.

yeah , i went to my local GS and looked at a couple of howas . they might be accurate , but nowhere near as nicely machined/finished as a weatherby . if only weatherby didn't have those skinny number 2 barrel profiles that need a preasure point for accuracy :roll: , i'd get one . i've considered getting a weatherby and rebarreling to a nicer barrel profile , but i'm sick of waiting 6-8 months for gunsmiths to do the job ;)

my copper monster sako 30-06 seems to be settling down , only needed 60 patches to clean after putting 20 rounds through it on the weekend . but it's doing something strange . 150 sst's shoot around half inch at 100 , but at 200 it opens up to 4" :wtf: . bullet stability ? maybe something in the rifling of the barrel upsetting the bullet concentricity/balance ?

SKINNY barrels that NEED a pressure point for accuracy? What you talking about Willis?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm

Not sure if its just my imagination but regarding oscillation i prefer axles instead of whippy barrels as long as i dont have to carry them too far
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2023, 3:47 pm

bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:

SKINNY barrels that NEED a pressure point for accuracy? What you talking about Willis?

yes mate . weatherby's have a number 2 profile barrel which is .550" at the crown at 24" length . they have a preasure point in the stock (as do a lot of rem 700's ) to put upward preasure on the barrel so it doesn't move around with heat. two pounds upward preasure i think . that number 2 profile barrel isn't a issue with 22 cal , i floated a vangaurd i had and it shot better . but if it's got a 30 cal hole in it's guts , the barrel wall is so thin it's prone to moving around with heat . if you remove the preasure point on a weatherby it voids warranty . howas are floated and run a heavier barrel profile apparently. lots of stuff on the interweb about guys floating their weatherby and having horrible accuracy. some reckon it's got to do with barrels not being stress releived in the manufacturing process to keep costs down . cheaper to have a preasure point apparently :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Jan 2023, 4:22 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:

yes mate . weatherby's have a number 2 profile barrel which is .550" at the crown at 24" length . they have a preasure point in the stock (as do a lot of rem 700's ) to put upward preasure on the barrel so it doesn't move around with heat. two pounds upward preasure i think . that number 2 profile barrel isn't a issue with 22 cal , i floated a vangaurd i had and it shot better . but if it's got a 30 cal hole in it's guts , the barrel wall is so thin it's prone to moving around with heat . if you remove the preasure point on a weatherby it voids warranty . howas are floated and run a heavier barrel profile apparently. lots of stuff on the interweb about guys floating their weatherby and having horrible accuracy. some reckon it's got to do with barrels not being stress releived in the manufacturing process to keep costs down . cheaper to have a preasure point apparently :unknown:

Gee,funny,my 308 and 300 weatherby suffered absolutely zero of those problems when I floated the barrels....neither have any of the other skinny barrelled 308+ rifles I've had...like my model 7 Remington or my winchester featherweight, .308 and .358w respectively....in fact I can't say I've ever had problems with accuracy getting worse from free floating....ah well
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 12 Jan 2023, 4:26 pm

Actually the one rifle I did have that problem with was a winchester featherweight in 223wsm with a pressure point....first shot would go where you wanted,second 2 inches higher,third 6 inches higher...and that wasn't even firing them quickly. It was a pity as it was a lovely light gun.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2023, 5:21 pm

bigpete wrote:
Gee,funny,my 308 and 300 weatherby suffered absolutely zero of those problems when I floated the barrels....neither have any of the other skinny barrelled 308+ rifles I've had...like my model 7 Remington or my winchester featherweight, .308 and .358w respectively....in fact I can't say I've ever had problems with accuracy getting worse from free floating....ah well

well , that's the current opinions and feedback on the web pete . a mate of mine had zastavas , with similar light profiles . he floated his and the second shot would go through the first , the third would be a inch away. another shot after that could go anywhere :) needless to say he put a preasure point back in those rifles . if you've had good results from floating your weatherby's that's good to know . what's the accuracy like out of your floated weatherby's pete ?
.i prefer at least a .600 crown on my sporter barrels . they just seem more consistant with a medium profile to me :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 12 Jan 2023, 5:50 pm

All a pressure point in a barrel channel for end accomplishes is trying to overcome crap bedding issues it's the number one reason why Remington adopted it years ago it is also the leading cause of vertical stringing as the barrel heats up
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 12 Jan 2023, 7:44 pm

I had a skinny barrelled Remington 700 in 25/06. Bedded it and floated the barrel and it was a tack driver.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 12 Jan 2023, 9:06 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:

well , that's the current opinions and feedback on the web pete . a mate of mine had zastavas , with similar light profiles . he floated his and the second shot would go through the first , the third would be a inch away. another shot after that could go anywhere :) needless to say he put a preasure point back in those rifles . if you've had good results from floating your weatherby's that's good to know . what's the accuracy like out of your floated weatherby's pete ?
.i prefer at least a .600 crown on my sporter barrels . they just seem more consistant with a medium profile to me :thumbsup:

They would both print half inch 3 shot groups at 100 with favoured ammo,occasionally better,occasionally worse. They both seemed to prefer lighter pills, the 300 loved 159gn hornady sst,and the 308 loved 125gn speer tnt.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Jan 2023, 5:54 pm

thanks for all the opinions and feedback fellas . i took the plunge and got a very good weatherby S2 stainless in 270win . i'm gunna put it in a different stock (floating barrel) and see how she goes . i rethought my preference on a 30-06 and think a 270 shooting 140's is about where i need to be . i'll post how i go with this . cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Soopyyy » 14 Jan 2023, 6:14 pm

I think I've cleaned my Tikka three times in 200 rounds. It's never seemed to make any difference.
Soopyyy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Jan 2023, 7:18 pm

Soopyyy wrote:I think I've cleaned my Tikka three times in 200 rounds. It's never seemed to make any difference.

horses for coarses . i'm pretty adamant about cleaning (but not being to aggressive), copper in a steel barrel can result in pitting (electrolosis ) and burnt rifle powder is hydroscopic , attracts moisture .
your onto a good thing with a tikka , everyone i've had has been great out of the box . some calibers are not helpful with handloading due to mag length but
:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Soopyyy » 15 Jan 2023, 2:02 pm

bigrich wrote:
Soopyyy wrote:I think I've cleaned my Tikka three times in 200 rounds. It's never seemed to make any difference.

horses for coarses . i'm pretty adamant about cleaning (but not being to aggressive), copper in a steel barrel can result in pitting (electrolosis ) and burnt rifle powder is hydroscopic , attracts moisture .
your onto a good thing with a tikka , everyone i've had has been great out of the box . some calibers are not helpful with handloading due to mag length but
:thumbsup:

Yeah my tikka is 300wm. I can basically load it to standard length or slot each shot in manually because the mag is exactly big enough to fit the standard length round.
That said, its about half the price to reload the brass, so that's useful. (also an excuse to vanish to the shed for a couple hours.)
Soopyyy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2023, 7:09 pm

Clean your rifle you dirty little boy...and change the oil in your car while you are at it.

Why would you not clean the carbon out of it each time you shoot it. Only takes a little bit of your time.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2023, 7:41 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

Clean your rifle you dirty little boy...and change the oil in your car while you are at it.

Why would you not clean the carbon out of it each time you shoot it. Only takes a little bit of your time.

Do you change your engine oil after every drive?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles