Mauser M18 Pic Rail Torque

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Mauser M18 Pic Rail Torque

Post by Kez » 13 Jan 2023, 5:07 am

G’day everyone

Just putting this here for future reference for people. Recently bought an M18 in .308. Nothing in the manual about torque specs for anything, so I emailed Mauser direct.

Looks like it’s rated to 2nm of torque, which is roughly 17.7in/lb. This applies to all calibres of the rifle which I asked in a follow up email.

Cheers!
Attachments
A12CB158-42A7-46C3-B94F-B834E1836D2E.jpeg
A12CB158-42A7-46C3-B94F-B834E1836D2E.jpeg (162.9 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
Kez
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Mauser M18 Pic Rail Torque

Post by northdude » 13 Jan 2023, 10:51 am

How do you find the rifle. Pity they dont make lh ones
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jan 2023, 9:49 pm

On one hand,, pretty p!ss poor of them to not supply such basic details to start with,,,,,,,,,,
But on the other hand,, very refreshing to see that you not only got a reply,,, but seems quickly,,, and a very good reply at that.

Of no real use to myself, but very useful for those owning/buying one.
Thanks for posting it Mate. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Kez » 13 Jan 2023, 10:13 pm

northdude wrote:How do you find the rifle. Pity they dont make lh ones

Build quality is great. Need to find ammo it likes though. Still breaking it in but it hates Winchester Deer Season and Silvertip. Granted it’s a hunting rifle but s**t I expect groups of 5cm at 100m, not 11 to 15cm…

Die Judicii wrote:On one hand,, pretty p!ss poor of them to not supply such basic details to start with,,,,,,,,,,
But on the other hand,, very refreshing to see that you not only got a reply,,, but seems quickly,,, and a very good reply at that.

Of no real use to myself, but very useful for those owning/buying one.
Thanks for posting it Mate. :thumbsup:

No worries, long time lurker, figured I should give back where I can! And yeah it sucks they don’t give out technical specs in the box, but their customer service is ace. I got another reply today regarding action screw torque.

If anyone stumbles across this, 5nm is the action screw torque for all models now.
Kez
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm

Kez wrote:Build quality is great. Need to find ammo it likes though. Still breaking it in but it hates Winchester Deer Season and Silvertip. Granted it’s a hunting rifle but s**t I expect groups of 5cm at 100m, not 11 to 15cm…

Is it .30-06?
A member here had poor accuracy from a new .30-06 which the distributor eventually took back and he bought something else. I may be mistaken in memory but I've got an idea it was a Euro rifle, perhaps another of these new Mausers? I'll correct it if I manage to find the thread but somebody else might better recall it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 14 Jan 2023, 7:12 am

It might prefer euro ammo. Something like norma and s&b perhaps
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by jwai86 » 14 Jan 2023, 8:38 am

bladeracer wrote:Is it .30-06?
A member here had poor accuracy from a new .30-06 which the distributor eventually took back and he bought something else. I may be mistaken in memory but I've got an idea it was a Euro rifle, perhaps another of these new Mausers? I'll correct it if I manage to find the thread but somebody else might better recall it.

The OP said that his M18 is in .308.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kez » 24 Jan 2023, 7:49 pm

Yeah the rifle is great and shoots well. 5 shot group, 0.7 inches at 100 meters with Hornady TAP 168. Given it’s a hunting rifle though, I want a hunting round for it to cold shot well. Currently pulls 4 inches to the left on the first shot… but s**t it’s most likely me.

It does actually like Euro ammo! Sako Gamehead 150 goes well in it too. I have about 40 rounds of ADI 165 GameKing to try this weekend too.

Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.
Kez
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2023, 8:44 pm

Kez wrote:Yeah the rifle is great and shoots well. 5 shot group, 0.7 inches at 100 meters with Hornady TAP 168. Given it’s a hunting rifle though, I want a hunting round for it to cold shot well. Currently pulls 4 inches to the left on the first shot… but s**t it’s most likely me.

It does actually like Euro ammo! Sako Gamehead 150 goes well in it too. I have about 40 rounds of ADI 165 GameKing to try this weekend too.

Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

In that case I would zero it for the cold shot and allow for it if you do ever need a follow-up.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 25 Jan 2023, 3:19 pm

Bergara picatinny rail I just fitted to my CVA came with a 3nm torque setting, no small toque wrench so no idea what it is :lol: :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kez » 28 Feb 2023, 3:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:In that case I would zero it for the cold shot and allow for it if you do ever need a follow-up.

Yeah it was me. No cold shot issues. Rifle is tops, took it out this weekend. Three goats ranging from 75 meters to 190. All with ADI 165 GameKing.

I’m looking at getting one in .223 if I can find it cheap enough
Kez
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2023, 5:09 pm

Kez wrote:
bladeracer wrote:In that case I would zero it for the cold shot and allow for it if you do ever need a follow-up.

Yeah it was me. No cold shot issues. Rifle is tops, took it out this weekend. Three goats ranging from 75 meters to 190. All with ADI 165 GameKing.

I’m looking at getting one in .223 if I can find it cheap enough

Twice I've fired groups with the SMLE with the aperture sight and had shot #1 from cold go high left. Had me thinking that's just what it does, but I've shot a lot more cold groups that haven't done it so I'm pretty sure it's just me :-)

Nice work on the goats.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kez » 19 Apr 2023, 10:30 am

Thanks mate. Many more taken since then.

Also, ended up getting in in .223 as well. 12mm groups at 100 meters. These rifles are beautiful and the build quality is flawless. Accurate as hell too.

Have stripped both the .308 and .223 down and they machining work is what I’d expect on a high end Sako. Given the lineage and production though, it’s no wonder the quality has bled over into it.

Shame they’re going up in price now. Used to be $1000, now $1600. That said would not hesitate to buy one at full price now.
Kez
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 19 Apr 2023, 10:57 am

Hey Kez sounds like your rifles are keepers :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AlHow » 19 Apr 2023, 8:47 pm

northdude wrote:How do you find the rifle. Pity they dont make lh ones

Is the picatinny that critical? Isn’t a ‘snug’ fit ok? So I’m new to guns. Rings to scope I get it but the pic I wouldn’t have thought it to be that critical.

I am a lefty. My rifles are all righties. Now as hard as I’ve tried, I cannot determine a dominant eye. I picked up one of the guns today and right handled it. Hmmm, didn’t feel too bad, certainly not odd. With that and the fact leftying on a righty rifle isn’t bothering me either.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by JohnV » 20 Apr 2023, 9:17 am

The correct torque to use is governed by the size and type of screws used to mount the rail so you get it tight without exceeding the breaking strength of the screws and threads .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by safeshot » 28 Jul 2023, 5:11 pm

thumbsdown: re information on a new rifle. My son bought a Weatherby Vanguard. No box, no information came with it. We had to do the log-in-thing and find our own owners manual. This a very poor thing.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2023, 5:28 pm

safeshot wrote:thumbsdown: re information on a new rifle. My son bought a Weatherby Vanguard. No box, no information came with it. We had to do the log-in-thing and find our own owners manual. This a very poor thing.

It annoys me when dealers toss the boxes, but it makes sense not to keep them all cluttering up the shop.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 29 Jul 2023, 11:31 am

Talley mounts say they have a 6 x 48 screw for the mounts that fit a Mauser M18 . Torque for a 6 x 48 scope base screw is around 15 inch pounds (1.7 Nm ) if they have oil on them . Loctite 243 also acts like oil initially . 18 inch pound ( 2 Nm ) if they are dead dry which they should not be as they can rust in and seize . I knew a farmer once that put battery acid on his scope mounting screws to make them rust up and " NEVER " move again . Trouble was he asked me if I could put a new scope on his rifle and no way could I undo the screws . Then I found out about the battery acid trick . Ended up a new scope and new mounts and had to drill the heads off the base screw and then remove them with vice grips . Only use oil or Loctite 243 on the base screws . I never put Loctite on the ring cap screws or the dovetail claw screw .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles