Spanish shotguns

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Spanish shotguns

Post by Latitude37 » 14 Jan 2023, 8:51 am

Hi folks. About to buy my first shotgun, for rabbits & foxes around our little property. Local shop has a 2nd hand , Spanish made O/U (fixed chokes) for a decent looking price. Action feels smooth and positive, afaict. Question is, are there any brands to avoid?
Latitude37
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Spanish shotguns

Post by northdude » 14 Jan 2023, 11:55 am

people I know that have them over here seem to be having a good run out of them
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Barbarian » 15 Jan 2023, 9:55 am

I've got an old VG Bentley SxS made in Spain, case hardened reciever, nice dark blued barrels, as far as I have seen other Bentley shotguns also seem to be pretty nice.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 15 Jan 2023, 1:46 pm

None, really they are all pretty good for what they are. Some are of course much better then others. Better to buy the gun, not the maker.

I have a AYA (Spanish) side by side which is a really nice traditional shotgun, that points and shoots very well.

What brand is the O/U?
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Latitude37 » 17 Jan 2023, 12:43 pm

"What brand is the O/U?"

It's a Lanber. There's a few little usage marks on the stock, nothing nasty. Certainly the barrels look ok. Fixed chokes, half & full, single trigger. Seems to follow the KISS principle, which appeals.
Latitude37
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 17 Jan 2023, 6:25 pm

Lanber's are good shotguns for the price point, if the guns in OK condition and the price is OK, you won't be disappointed with the brand.

A good choice for a first shotgun.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 18 Jan 2023, 12:19 am

Depending how cheap it is you may be better off with a new or near new Turkish gun. Lanber went out of business about 10 years ago. A fixed choke Lanber would be very basic entry level field gun. Lanber's were the cheap Spanish gun of the day just like the Turkish guns are today. My first shotgun was a Lanber 2087 sporter 25 years ago it was cheap compared to a Beretta or Browning/Miroku but you for what you paid for.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.