Wonnangatta murders

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Wonnangatta murders

Post by bladeracer » 02 Dec 2021, 6:08 pm

Fionn wrote:Um yes it does, surely you have done some formal risk assessment training at some point in your life?

The 2 main points of rating a risk is likelihood of the risk happening and consequence if the risk happened.

Extremely rare makes the likelihood well extremely rare, so by definition a lower risk.

I only do informal risk assessment, in the real world, in real time, not in classrooms.

The risk of travelling around an area, at night, where people generally avoid driving around at night, especially while roads are closed and emergency response teams could be around the next corner managing the bushfires, with at least some extremely incriminating evidence of what Americans would call a "capital crime", is extremely risky, anyway. With the consequence being potentially spending the rest of your life in jail, or having to murder any further witness you might stumble upon, further increasing the risk factors astronomically, supports it being an extremely risky decision, and one that may well have been instrumental to solving the case.

But you get back to your book learning.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2022, 5:40 pm

The bodies found recently have been officially been confirmed to be Carol Clay and Russell Hill

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-14/ ... /100828868
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Jan 2023, 6:20 pm

GREG LYNN'S GUN COLLECTION

a) 1x .45 Automatic 'Shooters Arms' model 1911A1 Semi-Automatic Pistol with 10x Magazines

b) 1x .45 Long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33691

c) 1x .45 long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33920

d) 1x 308 Winchester Calibre 'Oceania Precision' Model SP25-TAC Semi-Automatic Rifle S/N SPT00038 and 1 Magazine

e) 1x 12 Gauge 'Barathrum Arms' Model S/P 12 Semi-Automatic Shotgun S/N FXF2839

f) 1x 12 Gauge ER 'Amantino' Model A-680 (Boito) Side by Side Shotgun S/N C873299-18

g) 1x 357 Magnum Calibre 'Chiappa Arms' Lever Action Rifle S/N 16E03954

h) 1x 45 Long Colt Winchester Leaver Action Rifle

i) Numerous metal cases containing ammunition of various calibres
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Jan 2023, 6:31 pm

Fionn wrote:GREG LYNN'S GUN COLLECTION

a) 1x .45 Automatic 'Shooters Arms' model 1911A1 Semi-Automatic Pistol with 10x Magazines

b) 1x .45 Long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33691

c) 1x .45 long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33920

d) 1x 308 Winchester Calibre 'Oceania Precision' Model SP25-TAC Semi-Automatic Rifle S/N SPT00038 and 1 Magazine

f) 1x 12 Gauge ER 'Amantino' Model A-680 (Boito) Side by Side Shotgun S/N C873299-18

Yes? And?? 8 firearms, less than many people here, 5 of which are clearly SASS Cowboy comp, even the 1911 may have been in anticipation of approval for "Wild Bunch". Were the Cat C & D registered? I can't see the relevance?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Jan 2023, 7:27 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:

Yes? And?? 8 firearms, less than many people here, 5 of which are clearly SASS Cowboy comp, even the 1911 may have been in anticipation of approval for "Wild Bunch". Were the Cat C & D registered? I can't see the relevance?

The relevance to what?
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 17 Jan 2023, 8:10 pm

I was in court yesterday and I was wondering why all the press were out the front and now I know. My case was a cop shooting someone but never got the same attention as this one. He's eventually getting his day in court.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Jan 2023, 8:24 pm

Fionn wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:

The relevance to what?

Relevance to the circumstances and/or motivation for his alleged crimes. The fact he was a firearms owner does not enter into it, let alone what he owned. The fact he owned Cat D does not matter either, so whilst it may be of interest, generally, to other shooters i don't see how it adds to our attempts at understanding the crime.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jan 2023, 8:25 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:

Ther revelance you ask ...
It's pretty obvious that owning a Barathrum Arms' Model S/P 12 Semi-Automatic Shotgun (perhaps any semi auto) means your much more likely to commit mutable murders :allegedly:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Avok » 17 Jan 2023, 8:51 pm

Hold on, the SP25 and the SP12 are straight pulls, not semi autos...

The article I believe Fionn quoted from: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/melbourne/article-11643065/Greg-Lynn-allegedly-talked-Carol-Clay-Russell-Hill-deaths.html
Avok
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Jan 2023, 9:04 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
Fionn wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:

The relevance to what?

Relevance to the circumstances and/or motivation for his alleged crimes. The fact he was a firearms owner does not enter into it, let alone what he owned. The fact he owned Cat D does not matter either, so whilst it may be of interest, generally, to other shooters i don't see how it adds to our attempts at understanding the crime.

I haven't asserted anything! I posted a list of firearms the alleged killer owned, nothing more, not even a personal comment on it.

Suffering a bit of guilt by association are we! ;)
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Jan 2023, 9:10 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:

Ther revelance you ask ...
It's pretty obvious that owning a Barathrum Arms' Model S/P 12 Semi-Automatic Shotgun (perhaps any semi auto) means your much more likely to commit mutable murders :allegedly:

Just showing that people jump to conclusions without understanding the facts and believe what the media says without question.

BTW the SP25-TAC & Model S/P 12 are not semi-auto's.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Jan 2023, 9:12 pm

Avok wrote:

The article I believe Fionn quoted from: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/melbourne/article-11643065/Greg-Lynn-allegedly-talked-Carol-Clay-Russell-Hill-deaths.html

Credit to you for picking up what both on_one_wheel and No1Mk3 missed.

They are both too concern with the relevance of the it :lol:

Just shows some people believe what they read without question.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 18 Jan 2023, 3:48 am

This guy really doesn’t fit the profile.
Approved for handguns gives me even more doubt. That’s the relevance. That just says lifetime pacifist. You don’t go from zero history of violence to cold blooded murder up close and personal.
And nobody gets approved for the Oceana semi auto version in Victoria. And even if you did would you risk losing everything by taking it into a state forest. All kinds of not quite right here.
And the scenarios they’re alleging don’t even make sense.
Where’s his deer rifle in that list. Avid long time deer hunter without a dedicated sambar rifle, as if.
They better have something real on him because it’s far worse to convict an innocent man.
The media has him pegged as creepy sweaty guy acting strange.
But you look at this blokes background and all you get is highly accomplished upstanding citizen. Airline pilots have regular psyche checks. Whole thing feels off from the start. Not impossible but this reads like process of elimination and coincidence. Not enough
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jan 2023, 6:16 am

Fionn wrote:
Avok wrote:

$10 says you had no idea until Avok pointed it out :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 18 Jan 2023, 8:24 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Fionn wrote:
Avok wrote:

$10 says you had no idea until Avok pointed it out :lol:

Well that would be $10 you own me then. I posted without comment to see if anyone would pick it up, you didn't. No1Mk3 at least picked up that the guy shouldn't legally own a semi-auto rifle and shotgun.

But you missed all that and are just feeling a bit hurt and offended that you missed the obvious. :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jan 2023, 10:14 am

Sure ya did :roll: ... obvious to some perhaps, definitely not me
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2023, 10:18 am

It's model specific info. Only someone familiar with that model would know. Why would you bother doing that. Better just say the media got it wrong in the first place.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 18 Jan 2023, 5:25 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Sure ya did :roll: ... obvious to some perhaps, definitely not me

Do you want my paypal address :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 18 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:It's model specific info. Only someone familiar with that model would know. Why would you bother doing that. Better just say the media got it wrong in the first place.

I didn't know they if they were semi-auto's or not when I saw it, but as soon as I saw it reported as such I looked them up, as given the information known about the alleged killer, I couldn't understand how he would have a Cat C shotgun and a Cat D rifle.

Why did I post it without pointing that out, I wanted to see who would pick it up and who wouldn't and the predictable showed their hand, then doubled down on it, instead of admitting they missed it, costing them $10. :thumbsup:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 18 Jan 2023, 6:07 pm

The Police are now saying they believe Mr Hill the deceased took Mr Lynn's shotgun from Mr Lynn's car and a struggle for the gun ensued and a shot went off striking the woman . That could be an argument for self defense for Mr Lynn . I suspect very strongly that Mr Hill was a real bully and trouble maker and using intimidation and his drone to try and drive Mr Lynn out of his camp spot and created the whole s**t fight . How will they prove who fired that shotgun when both had hands on the gun ? Did Mr Lynn then stab Mr Hill in self defense . What he did after the deaths makes him look very guilty but was that just panic and stupidity ? A good defense lawyer could do a lot with that Police statement and he may not have killed the woman at all . You could muddy the waters with the jury on reasonable doubt that Mr Hill was the one with the murderous intent and was the one obtaining and brandishing the gun and could well have had his finger on the trigger in the struggle not Mr Lynn . Hell if a guy has a shotgun and is threatening you then stabbing him is reasonable force . Lynn may get off murder of the woman and only possibly get manslaughter of Mr Hill .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jan 2023, 6:28 pm

Let's just remind ourselves rlthat old mate was married but wife was at home.

That council worker reported that drone was flown over him and it annoyed him earlier in the day.

I could say more about what I've heard from people familiar with deceased but refer to the first statement.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2023, 6:42 pm

Fionn wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:It's model specific info. Only someone familiar with that model would know. Why would you bother doing that. Better just say the media got it wrong in the first place.

I didn't know they if they were semi-auto's or not when I saw it, but as soon as I saw it reported as such I looked them up, as given the information known about the alleged killer, I couldn't understand how he would have a Cat C shotgun and a Cat D rifle.

Why did I post it without pointing that out, I wanted to see who would pick it up and who wouldn't and the predictable showed their hand, then doubled down on it, instead of admitting they missed it, costing them $10. :thumbsup:

Sounds like baiting to me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jan 2023, 7:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Sounds like he caught a monkfish
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 18 Jan 2023, 7:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Well to state the obvious, it is a shooting/hunting forum :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 18 Jan 2023, 7:14 pm

A pisssing contest. Jeez :friends:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by womble » 19 Jan 2023, 3:17 am

So the police can relay a detailed chain of events from a burnt out campsite that had been rummaged through who knows how many times. That’s bulls**t.
There’s no evidence to suggest he had a shotgun at the campsite. No witnesses. They’ve got nothing.
They’ve deduced that scenario from one owns a shotgun and the other is grumpy maybe. This is going to get laughed out of court.
And there’s still what 3 missing people in the area over the last year or so. They just want to tidy this up so people can all feel nice and safe visiting the region again.
And why a shotgun. Is he stalking deer. He got no dogs. And it’s a loaded shotgun sitting in plain view at a designated campsite with public toilets. This is all kinds of dumb.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 19 Jan 2023, 5:34 pm

How did the police find the remains?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jan 2023, 7:05 pm

JohnV wrote:The Police are now saying they believe Mr Hill the deceased took Mr Lynn's shotgun from Mr Lynn's car and a struggle for the gun ensued and a shot went off striking the woman . .

Grumpy old bastards :(
play stupid games, win stupid prizes
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 27 Jan 2023, 12:27 pm

Old mate is going to stand trial for killing old bloke.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics