I am of sound mind

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

I am of sound mind

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Jan 2023, 7:34 pm

Went for my Driver's Licence Renewal Exam today. Boy did I get interrogated! :shock: It must have taken an hour and some of the funny questions were
1) Quote "I am going to give you three things to remember and I will talk to you for a minute and then ask you what they are". They were apple, table and penny.
2) "starting at 93, count backwards in sevens".
3) Then she showed me a diagram of two intersecting pentagons, which had to be reproduced on the same piece of paper with a biro.
4) I was told to fold a sheet of paper in half and put it on the floor.
5) The instruction, "Close your eyes", was printed on a sheet of paper. I was told to do as it said. When I had complied I was told to open them.

Boy, what a fun time :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: I am of sound mind

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jan 2023, 7:57 pm

You didn't make any reference to which "funny farm that was at"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2023, 9:35 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Went for my Driver's Licence Renewal Exam today. Boy did I get interrogated! :shock: It must have taken an hour and some of the funny questions were
1) Quote "I am going to give you three things to remember and I will talk to you for a minute and then ask you what they are". They were apple, table and penny.
3) Then she showed me a diagram of two intersecting pentagons, which had to be reproduced on the same piece of paper with a biro.
5) The instruction, "Close your eyes", was printed on a sheet of paper. I was told to do as it said. When I had complied I was told to open them.

I did heaps of that crap when I had viral encephalitis to try to determine which parts of my brain had been damaged.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 18 Jan 2023, 10:02 pm

I cop a lot of flack sometimes for this, but good. More people should be subject to more stringent testing before they're allowed to fling a tonne of steel at 100kmh with nothing but a white line and a gentleman's agreement between incoming traffic.

Every single person can name several people they know who aren't fit to make their own breakfast let alone drive. You get this ticket when you're 17 years old and it's valid for over half a century before anyone bothers to figure out if you're still any good at it.

Sure it seems like a lot.....But if more people were being subjected to it you wouldn't feel like the odd one out.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 18 Jan 2023, 10:16 pm

Far as I'm concerned all those tests are a load of crap only way to find out if somebody should be behind the wheel or not is get them on a track for half an hour you'll soon find out if they can drive .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2023, 5:07 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Went for my Driver's Licence Renewal Exam today. Boy did I get interrogated! :shock: It must have taken an hour and some of the funny questions were

What has any of that got to do with driving ability? Questions about road law would be far more appropriate.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 19 Jan 2023, 6:30 am

Sounds like Wm.Traynor was being assessed for dementia.
Is it the case that he may be four score + in years and is now becoming feed-stock for "the system".
I have met plenty of people, a fraction of his suspected age, who would not be able to successfully complete that quiz.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 19 Jan 2023, 7:00 am

So out of all that how can they tell you can drive a car properly
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 19 Jan 2023, 8:05 am

deye243 wrote:Far as I'm concerned all those tests are a load of crap only way to find out if somebody should be behind the wheel or not is get them on a track for half an hour you'll soon find out if they can drive .

Damn right.

northdude wrote:So out of all that how can they tell you can drive a car properly

They can't.

It's some chair polisher justifying their salary, the same way we get some of our ludicrous gun laws.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 19 Jan 2023, 8:23 am

So Wm, did they asses from that if you're able to stay on the black stuff and between the lines?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 19 Jan 2023, 8:28 am

bladeracer wrote:

I did heaps of that crap when I had viral encephalitis to try to determine which parts of my brain had been damaged.

BIU have some good ones, eh Blade?

They gave me those, blocks to put in holes, and a real doozy that I'd still fail that involves moving a loop around a wire maze without touching the wire.

I was hoping for the Rorschach to see if I could make them laugh at the old dad joke.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jan 2023, 8:38 am

Lazarus wrote:

So Wm, did they asses from that if you're able to stay on the black stuff and between the lines?

Yes Lazarus, I am 77 and have a Licence for another year.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jan 2023, 8:43 am

straightshooter wrote:Sounds like Wm.Traynor was being assessed for dementia.
Is it the case that he may be four score + in years and is now becoming feed-stock for "the system".
I have met plenty of people, a fraction of his suspected age, who would not be able to successfully complete that quiz.

A Dementia Test. Yep; that's what it is and because I am over 75 ( 77 next week ) I have to do this every year.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jan 2023, 8:45 am

Die Judicii wrote:You didn't make any reference to which "funny farm that was at"

There are times when I think all the world is a "funny farm" :crazy:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 19 Jan 2023, 10:22 am

MI7- "Let's do some word association. For example I might say 'day' and you might say......."

James Bond- "Wasted".
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 19 Jan 2023, 12:00 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

Yes Lazarus, I am 77 and have a Licence for another year.

Good to hear mate.
:clap: :thumbsup:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 19 Jan 2023, 1:36 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:You didn't make any reference to which "funny farm that was at"

There are times when I think all the world is a "funny farm" :crazy:

Hi wholeheartedly agree with that statement the nuts running the asylum
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2023, 2:25 pm

Lazarus wrote:BIU have some good ones, eh Blade?

They gave me those, blocks to put in holes, and a real doozy that I'd still fail that involves moving a loop around a wire maze without touching the wire.

I was hoping for the Rorschach to see if I could make them laugh at the old dad joke.

I don't remember most of it, it went on for weeks and was so horrendous I think I've blocked much of that period :-)
One I do remember failing dismally was remembering faces. It was a flip chart and I just had to mention any faces that had already come up, I didn't get any of them. When I see a new one I immediately forget all of the ones that came before, same issue I have following the plot in movies :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 19 Jan 2023, 2:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:BIU have some good ones, eh Blade?

I don't remember most of it, it went on for weeks and was so horrendous I think I've blocked much of that period :-)
One I do remember failing dismally was remembering faces. It was a flip chart and I just had to mention any faces that had already come up, I didn't get any of them. When I see a new one I immediately forget all of the ones that came before, same issue I have following the plot in movies :-)

Brain injury is truly weird in the variety of symptoms.

I can no longer whistle, faces are no issue but I have a struggle remembering names,.
Yet I can remember 10 digit alpha-numeric passwords, and jokes.
I used to love hot weather, now anything over 25° and I start spinning out.

It does have upsides, I can hide my own easter eggs :)
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jan 2023, 4:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:One I do remember failing dismally was remembering faces. It was a flip chart and I just had to mention any faces that had already come up, I didn't get any of them. When I see a new one I immediately forget all of the ones that came before, same issue I have following the plot in movies :-)

At least you are not alone,,,,
I've had difficulty remembering faces for most of my life,,,, and I've never had a brain trauma (that I know of)
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jan 2023, 4:50 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
A Dementia Test. Yep; that's what it is and because I am over 75 ( 77 next week ) I have to do this every year.

So you never added yourself to the list of "the oldest forum member" as I recall.
I thought Apollo held that ,,,,,,,,,, but seems you've pipped him at the post.

I have to go through with the "tests" every year although not for dementia,,,,,,,,,, (yet) :lol:

What I hate is the feelings of self doubt and worry,,,,,,,,,, that they always seem to be able to drum up in people as they sit through the tests.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jan 2023, 4:54 pm

Lazarus wrote:

Your next big test will be,,,,,,,,,,, "Where did I hide the keys to the gunsafe" :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2023, 5:19 pm

Lazarus wrote:I used to love hot weather, now anything over 25° and I start spinning out.

I grew up in the heat but I find it's a struggle now, figure it's just old age...and hair loss :-)

Rose found three Fry's Turkish Delights in a bag in a cupboard a couple weeks ago, best before October 11, 2018 - yummy :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 19 Jan 2023, 5:33 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

Your next big test will be,,,,,,,,,,, "Where did I hide the keys to the gunsafe" :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Yeah, I saw that thread.
Two things always on my person, my keys and my big pocket knife.

My first thought on reading it was, "shyte, where are my spares :lol:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2023, 6:33 pm

If they ask me to count backwards in 7 s. Im screwed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 19 Jan 2023, 6:42 pm

me to. And unless its got a cute ass or nice other things I'm unlikely to remember it :lol:
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2023, 6:54 pm

Blr243 wrote:If they ask me to count backwards in 7 s. Im screwed

Start at zero and chuck a negative in front of it just to show them how smart you are :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jan 2023, 8:14 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:

What I hate is the feelings of self doubt and worry,,,,,,,,,, that they always seem to be able to drum up in people as they sit through the tests.

That's funny. I did not experience those feelings at all but come to think of it, I did not know what to expect; the Dementia Test in particular.
But what is this about an old persons register? I'll sign that :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jan 2023, 9:21 pm

All this has reminded me of my last hospital incarceration. I went to emergency with badly swollen calves and was taken to a room PDQ. As if on a whim, the woman admitting me decided to give me a Covid test! :o
Damn me if it wasn't positive :shock: :shock: :shock: You should have seen how fast that woman got out of that room :lol: :lol: :lol: Before locking me in, she gave me some funny test, where I had to recite backwards, all the names of the months starting with December. Another trick that we unfortunates have to deal with and maybe store away, if you feel like it.

Just for the record, I had no idea that I had covid. I did think I had a mild case of flu but it never occurred to me to mention that. I was there for my calves, for which I received 3 drips of antibiotic per day but that is another story :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jan 2023, 9:30 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:But what is this about an old persons register? I'll sign that :D

Nothing special Mate,,,,,,,,,,,
Just a thread I threw out there for curiosity sake,,,, to find out who the oldest member was at the time.
Not everyone responded (of course),,,,, but at the time,,,, Apollo was the oldest that did respond,,,, followed behind by yours truly.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation