Why on earth would you pay almost double price

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Why on earth would you pay almost double price

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jan 2023, 9:13 pm

I went to a farm clearing sale today with the main aim of maybe buying a set of Aluminium Loading ramps that were listed.
I went yesterday to inspect them and to my surprise,, they were in fact as NEW and therefore "mint" condition.
After coming home I did some research on price etc.

The ramps were "Digga 4-Tonne 3.5 meter x 510 mm wide.
The company "Ramp Champ" have them listed currently at $2,167.00 gst included.
In stock in their warehouse in Vic,,,,,, and they quoted me $200.00 freight to Queensland.

So off I went to the sale this morning with reasonable hopes of having a winning bid.
Along with quite a few other people with similar goals.

When they were put up for auction,,,, there was a flurry of bids and the $$$ quickly got to the new price, but did not stop there.
Myself and three other blokes all pulled out at that point.

Another five blokes kept on bidding,,, and we just stood there absolutely gob smacked as the bid price kept going up.

Eventually they were knocked down for $3,600 for the pair.
But,,,,,,,, of course there was yet to be added the GST which worked out to be a total price of $3,960 for a set of technically 2nd hand ramps that are currently available for only $2,167.00 absolutely new.

Even not having to pay $200 for freight doesn't make them a sensible buy at the "auction price"

Why on earth would you ????
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Why on earth would you pay almost double price

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Jan 2023, 10:45 pm

Auction fever, it's a real thing, seen it many times in different types of sales.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 22 Jan 2023, 4:30 am

Back in the old days of ebay 25 years ago(yikes, time flies), I had an online business selling stuff and yes you get 2-3 people that really want something on the day, they will bid it up. I got quite a few surprises over the years and sometimes it's stuff you wouldn't think people would fight over, but do.

I'll be getting into another business soon that will use online auctions to sell and I'm sure I will see the same thing.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jan 2023, 11:34 am

Auction fever and no prior research. When i get too old to be a carpenter ill start trafing in second hand ally ramps
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 22 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm

30 to 40 years ago this sort of stuff was a Rarity unfortunately with how dumb the average people have become over the years all too familiar these days you've only got to look at the prices idiots pay for second hand stuff in gun shops
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Jan 2023, 9:04 pm

Blr243 wrote:Auction fever and no prior research.

I mean,,,,,,,,,,,, really ??
These days there is no excuse for not researching prices/values and the like.

On the day of the sale,, I was parked barely 50 meters from where the ramps were laid.
There was good phone service.
As they weren't being put up for auction until late in the afternoon,,,, I sat in the cool in my vehicle and waited.
In the ensuing hours I observed around fifteen potential bidders look at and turn the ramps over.
Most of those people took pics of the manufactures label,,, then immediately made a phone call and,,,,, or,,, do an obvious google search.

I'd hazard a guess that those people,, like myself,, were well informed.

One can only presume that those that kept bidding till the end,,,, including the winning bidder were just fools vaccinated with dead brain cells. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jan 2023, 4:29 am

A fool and his money are easily parted.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2023, 5:16 am

Die Judicii wrote:One can only presume that those that kept bidding till the end,,,, including the winning bidder were just fools vaccinated with dead brain cells. :thumbsdown:

Some of them might've been mates of the owner pushing the bids up.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 23 Jan 2023, 9:44 am

I think it often becomes a battle of egos and is more about the winning than the item or the price. Some guys just need to make up for a small dick with a big wallet.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by S O K A R » 23 Jan 2023, 11:18 am

Larry wrote:I think it often becomes a battle of egos and is more about the winning than the item or the price. Some guys just need to make up for a small dick with a big wallet.

Reminds me of those people that speed up at an overtaking lane just so you can't overtake them without breaking the law, then slow down to 20 below after the overtaking lane has finished :lol:
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 23 Jan 2023, 5:50 pm

S O K A R wrote:
Larry wrote:I think it often becomes a battle of egos and is more about the winning than the item or the price. Some guys just need to make up for a small dick with a big wallet.

Reminds me of those people that speed up at an overtaking lane just so you can't overtake them without breaking the law, then slow down to 20 below after the overtaking lane has finished :lol:

They are very easily dealt with
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation