This could save your life one day.

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

This could save your life one day.

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2023, 11:17 pm

I thought I knew a lot of tricks,,,,,, but just to prove your never too old to learn something new,,,, I learnt a new one today.
For those that didn't know this one,,, it'll work regardless of using it at home or out bush camping.
The threat of food poisoning is ever present and very real.

I knew a bloke that had a cabin out bush and always had it stocked with food,,,,, but sometimes it would be a month or more between visits.
This one time he went out for a week, and decided to cook a chicken that was in the freezer.
He ended up with really bad food poisoning (it's a real pity he didn't die from it, but that's another story)
What he was unaware of was that the power had dropped out while he wasn't there,,, long enough for the chicken to thaw out,, and then the power came back on, and re froze everything.

Anyway,,,, the simple trick to save yourself from food poisoning from a similar situation is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Freeze a half a cup or plastic container of water. Then lay a coin on top of the ice.
Put it (standing upright) in the freezer and leave it.
If the power drops out while your away, and things thaw out, when you return just check the container.
If the coin is on the bottom,,,,,,,, it's a good indication that you should throw stuff out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: This could save your life one day.

Post by animalpest » 24 Jan 2023, 12:15 am

Now that is excellent advice
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Jan 2023, 10:19 am

Simplicity and brilliance :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 24 Jan 2023, 3:54 pm

or freeze the bottle standing up and then lay it on its side
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 24 Jan 2023, 7:00 pm

that is a brilliant trick :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jan 2023, 9:36 pm

I dig it. I had food poisoning 2-3 times. Sorry guys im still here ... buscopan is an amazing pill to help if u ever get in trouble
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation