Big Game Stuff

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Big Game Stuff

Post by madang55 » 23 Jan 2023, 7:40 pm

Starting with the 375H&H (I would really love to have one) and the 404 Jeffery.
2 very different rifles or similar? Advantage of the 404 is bullet weights available.
Recoils differences? I have shot the 375 ONCE. I don't remember it to be too nasty. Especially if you only fire the odd shot when yr hunting.
I have not shot the 404 Jeffery. What am I expecting with this puppy?
And yes, its NT Buffalo we're looking at.
Can someone confirm its all guided hunting up there and that there are minimum legal calibre laws.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Big Game Stuff

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2023, 8:38 pm

Only fired 375 hh once off the bench. Very surprised. Seemed like 3006 recoil but i strongly suspect they were mild handloads
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 23 Jan 2023, 9:56 pm

It really depends on you. If you can't shoot full power loads out of the 404 then the 375 is for you. It's where you plant them that's important.

The 404 is better than the 375 as it's a bigger, heavier bullet. But I have a 375 H&H because it's enough, I can shoot 1" groups with everything I load up and it's a lot more than what I used when shooting buff professionally.

The .375 is not a 30/06 and not even close. Recoil is much heavier, although not as sharp as fast stepping magnums. For some the 30/06 is the upper limit of recoil, for others its the 375.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Peterwho » 23 Jan 2023, 10:08 pm

Some big questions there. I own a 404 and a 9.3x62 and have shot a 375H&H. Recoil has lots of factors, including weight of gun, weight and age of shooter, standing, sitting, weight of projectile and how hot is the load. Felt recoil is, imo, very much a personal thing. The 9.3 with 286 gr projectiles I shoot off the bench 20 at a time without issues. Ten at a time is enough for the 404, on a couple of levels including cost. Finding shells, dies and mag primers and factory ammo for the 404 has been a real challenge.

Way more experienced people than will have views that you don’t need either this big for buffalo. I’ve not shot one yet but if I was on foot I would stay with bigger calibers. AFAIK there is no minimum calibre for hunters but guides require 338 or larger.

See if you find an old video The Great Australian Buffalo Hunt where they just use 308s.

Not all guided hunts but you need to know lots including people, places and regs if you were thinking unguided.

I plan to be in the Cape July/august this year and NT next year.

Best wishes

Peter
Last edited by Peterwho on 23 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2023, 10:11 pm

I would stick with 375 H+H Mag,,,,,, because I have one,,,,,, and also for the following reasonings,,

The ammo itself would more than likely be readily available over and above the 404 Jeff
Time proven successful all around the world and specially so here in Aus.
Easy on the shoulder especially if you've got a good rifle and with a good stock.
375 H+H is perfectly acceptable for Buff.

If you don't know your way around in NT or WA,, I'd strongly recommend you go "guided" anyway,,, for your safety,, and success.
If you know landowner/s they may help out as in pointing you in the right direction and or guide you.

If you know some tribal elders personally,, in the right areas I'd go that option.

Remember that most station owners or managers generally hate people from down south just arriving and hoping to get access,, and with good reason.
Going down that path you'd have a snowflakes chance in hell of getting access.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 24 Jan 2023, 12:58 am

Just get a 458 won mag and be happy.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 24 Jan 2023, 4:23 am

I hand load for a 9.3x62 and took that on a guided hunt in the territory. 250 Barnes tsx took out buff no problem with proper shot placement. I also had some 270 Speer which flattened big pigs and used 285 lapua mega projectiles on wild horses. These worked extremely well on the horses due to more resistance for expansion. They tended to pencil through on pigs unless you got the front shoulder.9.3x62 was designed as a “do all” for German settlers in Africa, and it definitely worked for me up north . The caliber that all the guides recommended was 338 win mag as it was useful for long shots as well as up close. Mind you, they were impressed with the performance of my 9.3. A few fellas at my local range that have spent time up north use 9.3x62’s and reckon 285 woodleigh or partitions are the go. One load, use it on everything :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jan 2023, 9:35 pm

I have a 375 H&H, a 450/400 3 inch Jeffery and a 416 Rigby. My go to plinker is the Rigby, most capable and hardest hitting. It has a reputation for punching through things that other cases cannot.
The Jeffery is a great looking case and is very capable. Similar performance to the 404.
The 375 is the easiest to shoot, will knock over anything in Australia but is a lot more common. If you are recoil sensitive then this case will suit you best.
If you like a bit of recoil, try the 505 Gibbs. She will blow your ear muffs off.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2023, 9:52 am

Suggest before you buy a 375H&H. Check the price of ammo. You might get a nasty surprise.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 29 Jan 2023, 9:24 am

So a 375 it is. Watching the sales lists, there's a couple of reasonable 2nd hand ones there, BUT....why put up a crappy photo when a picture tells a thousand words. Then say more photos available...wha???? take some GOOD photos, check them for clarity and put as many as you can up. If the rifle is new then not so warranted, but a used firearm, me in VIC and the gun interstate, give me everything.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 29 Jan 2023, 2:17 pm

And still ask lots of questions. It seems to me disclosure in many cases is lacking. Other than the guns I inherited from my Dad, all are second hand. Some venders are great, others less so. My worse experience was with a QLD dealer, where a Carl Gustav HVA 270 couldn't be made to shoot accurately. Long story short, a bent barrel diagnosis from a gunsmith and a very expensive lesson.

If I was in your place, and needing a gun of that significance I would only buy from someone who actually knew the rifle. And, from other experiences I would choose/add my own scope rather take scope deals unless very compelling
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jan 2023, 9:06 pm

Good advice there Peter, i have bought many rifles from blokes I know at the range. I got to see and shoot them. See if there is a big game comp near you and guys there often have some bang sticks they want to move on. Big bore rifles don't sell quickly and have seldom had the barrel shot out.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2023, 9:09 pm

If you can't touch it, don't buy it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 01 Feb 2023, 9:37 am

Have spoken at length to a prospect. Relatively confident. Have to trust people sometimes. BIG QUESTION IS..........WA gun laws..you would think WA would be happy to send a firearm out of state, BUT Wait!!! there's more.......shipping costs are atrocious. I can fly to Perth and back cheaper than the quoted freight charges. BUT I can't bring it with me....anyone know how to do it legally and at a normal cost??
And I do have a Big Game local. Might talk to a mate.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2023, 10:36 am

Be patient. Get one local that you can pick up.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 01 Feb 2023, 1:02 pm

madang55 wrote:Have spoken at length to a prospect. Relatively confident. Have to trust people sometimes. BIG QUESTION IS..........WA gun laws..you would think WA would be happy to send a firearm out of state, BUT Wait!!! there's more.......shipping costs are atrocious. I can fly to Perth and back cheaper than the quoted freight charges. BUT I can't bring it with me....anyone know how to do it legally and at a normal cost??

Why cant you bring it with you?
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2023, 2:52 pm

animalpest wrote:
madang55 wrote:Have spoken at length to a prospect. Relatively confident. Have to trust people sometimes. BIG QUESTION IS..........WA gun laws..you would think WA would be happy to send a firearm out of state, BUT Wait!!! there's more.......shipping costs are atrocious. I can fly to Perth and back cheaper than the quoted freight charges. BUT I can't bring it with me....anyone know how to do it legally and at a normal cost??

Why cant you bring it with you?

I believe it has to go directly from WA dealer register to an interstate dealer register via a commercial carrier?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 04 Feb 2023, 8:08 pm

Yup, dealer only and seems TOLL are the only company. "safe hand"... hand to hand. $350 round figures
AND....random question.....do we still free float big bore rifle barrels?
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 04 Feb 2023, 8:11 pm

I reckon attempting to take it out of the state any other way will get you a signed organ donor card, your own.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 04 Feb 2023, 9:34 pm

madang55 wrote:Yup, dealer only and seems TOLL are the only company. "safe hand"... hand to hand. $350 round figures

Not unless it shoots terribly. After all, your not trying to head shoot rabbits at 200yds with a.375. My bog standard Reminton 375 will shoot 1 MOA all day with a 6x scope with every load even with the flexible plastic stock. Shooting buff, I have never bothered worrying about that sort of accuracy, just clean cold barrel first shot.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2023, 7:04 am

Oldbloke wrote:Suggest before you buy a 375H&H. Check the price of ammo. You might get a nasty surprise.

I found 375hh to be more expensive than factory 458wm, but I reloaded for the 458wm anyway. Personally I'd go 458wm
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2023, 7:07 am

animalpest wrote:
madang55 wrote:Yup, dealer only and seems TOLL are the only company. "safe hand"... hand to hand. $350 round figures

Not unless it shoots terribly. After all, your not trying to head shoot rabbits at 200yds with a.375. My bog standard Reminton 375 will shoot 1 MOA all day with a 6x scope with every load even with the flexible plastic stock. Shooting buff, I have never bothered worrying about that sort of accuracy, just clean cold barrel first shot.

Is that one of the sps models ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 05 Feb 2023, 5:34 pm

Yeah bigpete
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2023, 7:34 pm

animalpest wrote:Yeah bigpete

Was it pretty good ? I had an sps 223 once I regret selling,was a good rifle
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 05 Feb 2023, 9:04 pm

bigpete wrote:

It shoots terrific. Accurate and reliable. The stock isn't that great for recoil though. But hey, shooting full loads off the bench is never going to be gentle.

I load everything from 250gr Sierra, 270gr Woodleigh, 270gr and 300gr Barnes and 300gr Woodleigh and it shoots them all very well.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Feb 2023, 10:04 am

animalpest wrote:
bigpete wrote:

It shoots terrific. Accurate and reliable. The stock isn't that great for recoil though. But hey, shooting full loads off the bench is never going to be gentle.

I load everything from 250gr Sierra, 270gr Woodleigh, 270gr and 300gr Barnes and 300gr Woodleigh and it shoots them all very well.

Good to hear. Theyre a 3 round magazine aren't they ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 06 Feb 2023, 10:48 am

Correct
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by madang55 » 13 Feb 2023, 7:12 pm

I have it in my hands. Took it apart, very clean underneath, the barrel, no evidence of any residue, action beautiful. Balanced, lapped Hilver mounts. I've put a rail on it so I can used QD's, and I'm going to run a red dot to start with. What I did find was the straight set trigger is just a tad long for my half missing trigger finger, and the set trigger is way too touchy for me so I will swap our to a curved non set when I get the chance. Very simple mechanism though. I gave the barrel a slight rub and applied some of that Blue in a tube. Might do that a couple more times to give it a good depth. Has the original sights, with hood up the front. I've got to put a swivel back on the barrel, but what nice piece. Gonna be fun. Got to take a couple of photos yet, damn thing's too big for the space I've got in the garage. It was on SSAA gun sales. His photos might still be there.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 21 Feb 2023, 5:48 pm

So, took the 602 to the range. 1-4 Bushnell, nice clear glass. The straight set trigger has got to go. Way, way to touchy for a DG. And, the mongrel thing is positioned too far forward for my 1/2 trigger finger to reach properly. So a curved non-set trigger is on the way. My middle finger copped a beating with every shot. battered and bruised. Need to do some checkering to provide some grip and all should be well. Does it shoot? 270gr Interlocks, real good. Should be better and more consistent when I get the trigger issue sorted.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Express404 » 05 Mar 2023, 9:21 am

I have owned 3x CZ 550 and there is an adjustment to stops the set trigger from being used. As you say, definitely not needed on a big game hunt rifle. A set trigger is just dangerous when fast or running through bush. The Woodlieghs and Barnes X are great on Buffalo etc. The old 270 Hornady sprire point makes it a great Sambar rifle. I load, sight in, hunt. No bench resting or grouping of 375s for me. And most importantly a scope with 3.5 to 4" of eye relief.
Our kids hunt and fish.
Express404
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles