Ammunition limits proposal

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Ammunition limits proposal

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2023, 9:59 pm

Seems there is serious talk of introducing ammo limits. (All states) God knows how they expect to police it.
I heard it got a mention on the 7.30 report tonight as well.

https://sportingshooter.com.au/news/lea ... on-limits/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Ammunition limits proposal

Post by wanneroo » 02 Feb 2023, 1:01 am

Typical big government jackboot nonsense.

Some toad who needs to justify his job, is sitting around on his butt in air conditioning in some office somewhere and is just coming up with some random numbers, well this guy needs this much, this guy needs that much and he really has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

Resist this tyranny.

This is why you need to be in frequent touch with all your government representatives in regards to gun issues and not to be silent, because if you are silent some bureaucrat will come up with some rules that are nonsensical and useless and that solve nothing.

I think shooters can manage on their own and figure out what works for them for their own needs and situation.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2023, 2:22 am

Oldbloke wrote:Seems there is serious talk of introducing ammo limits. (All states) God knows how they expect to police it.
I heard it got a mention on the 7.30 report tonight as well.

https://sportingshooter.com.au/news/lea ... on-limits/

My first question has to be, how much ammunition is expended in criminal activity across all of Australia each year, and how much of that number actually injures anybody?

Secondly, how much of Australia actually sees criminal firearm usage? Is it mainly limited to a few tiny enclaves of uncontrolled anti-social behaviour as it is in most countries? If it is then why does the entire country need controls placed upon it?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 02 Feb 2023, 2:57 am

If an individual has more than the limit of say 10,000 rounds, then how is he or she a greater risk to society.
How many mass shooters have expended more than 10,000 rounds.
I think the current definition is 5 or more victims. So this guy is a remarkably poor shot. Or owns an AIA manufactured rifle.

So we’re basically implementing specific legislation for blind people with severe motor syndrome disorders. who hold a firearm license and own an AIA rifle.
In the event that the police cannot attend the scene of an active shooter. Because that happens a lot. They just never turn up.

What a great idea. I’m so thankful I have the government to protect me from these menaces to society.
This is exactly the sort of stuff I pay my taxes for.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 02 Feb 2023, 6:05 am

Oldbloke wrote:.......God knows how they expect to police it......

Duh
We buy all our consumables (nearly, except for self cast) from a dealer, and dealers keep records, and the records are computerised.... need I go on.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Feb 2023, 6:15 am

Are we coming into election time again?
There's so many reasons it's a pointless and stupid idea.

Can someone point to a situation recently where a restriction on quantity would've changed the outcome?
We can only fire one shot at a time.
A single pack of 50 .22lr has the potential to allow someone to become the world's worst mass murder (next to some world leaders)
It can't be easily policed.
It will make thousands of otherwise LAFO's into instant criminals overnight.... or perhaps that's the aim ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Feb 2023, 6:20 am

straightshooter wrote:

Duh
We buy all our consumables (nearly, except for self cast) from a dealer, and dealers keep records, and the records are computerised.... need I go on.

They can't keep track of what we use every outing so a purchase record means absolutely nothing
How about the 500 kg of ammo we already own?
Buyback?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 02 Feb 2023, 6:24 am

Interesting to see how this transpires, particularly for us reloaders who may not have ammunition loaded but have the components to make it. Are they going to count the amount of projectiles / primers we have?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 02 Feb 2023, 6:43 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
straightshooter wrote:

Duh

They can't keep track of what we use every outing so a purchase record means absolutely nothing
Buyback?

It's not all that long ago when there was a serious proposal to serial number all projectiles in the US.
Please remind me on how many ways are there to skin a cat.
All that is needed is for one to be flagged on the radar of the enforcement authorities and the wheels of bureaucracy will start their slow grind.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 02 Feb 2023, 9:43 am

Wanneroo got it right.

This is another chair polisher, desperately seeking occupational relevance.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2023, 9:52 am

Well, for starters they will need to hire 200 extra cops in each state to do all the audits. So, not happening.

Anyway, if your over just ask a friend who is under to store for you. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2023, 9:54 am

JimTom wrote:Interesting to see how this transpires, particularly for us reloaders who may not have ammunition loaded but have the components to make it. Are they going to count the amount of projectiles / primers we have?

Just tip all your primers in a big tin. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 02 Feb 2023, 9:59 am

Oldbloke wrote:Well, for starters they will need to hire 200 extra cops in each state to do all the audits. So, not happening.

Anyway, if your over just ask a friend who is under to store for you. :D

The whole idea is ludicrous.

How do you police consumables?

How do they track consumption of said consumables?

Next thing they'll be suggesting we have to hand in fired brass to prove consumption?

This is the bullsh!t ideas you get when you have someone making decisions in areas about which they know SFA.

Clickbait.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Feb 2023, 10:15 am

straightshooter wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
straightshooter wrote:

Duh

Buyback?

It's not all that long ago when there was a serious proposal to serial number all projectiles in the US.
Please remind me on how many ways are there to skin a cat.
All that is needed is for one to be flagged on the radar of the enforcement authorities and the wheels of bureaucracy will start their slow grind.

Serial numbers on projectiles never happened simply because it won't work. They still can't track what's used and what's hidden.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Feb 2023, 10:23 am

There is already a limit on how much ammo you can possess here in Victoria and apart from WA I believe other States also under their Dangerous Goods legislation. The Slime-Greens are lying to the public again with the help of the media regarding ammo limits and our representatives, and ourselves via "letters to the editor" need to push back on this. A serious IPSC shooter may expend well in excess of 10,000 rounds a year compared to the seasonal duck hunter who uses maybe 50 a year.so finding a practical limit is nigh on impossible as they determined tha last time this issue was raised.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 Feb 2023, 10:37 am

No1Mk3 wrote:There is already a limit on how much ammo you can possess here in Victoria and apart from WA I believe other States also under their Dangerous Goods legislation. The Slime-Greens are lying to the public again with the help of the media regarding ammo limits and our representatives, and ourselves via "letters to the editor" need to push back on this. A serious IPSC shooter may expend well in excess of 10,000 rounds a year compared to the seasonal duck hunter who uses maybe 50 a year.so finding a practical limit is nigh on impossible as they determined tha last time this issue was raised.

A lot more than that when I was a serious pistol shooter I used to go through 1000 rounds a week just in practise not counting match day on Saturday
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2023, 11:19 am

straightshooter wrote:

Duh

Your dealers might record all your purchases, mine certainly don't.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 02 Feb 2023, 11:29 am

straightshooter wrote:It's not all that long ago when there was a serious proposal to serial number all projectiles in the US.

Yeah I heard that too a while ago and it's hoot because last I looked the US civilian market consumes 8 billion rounds a year and doesn't take in account bullets deform, fracture, etc.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Pennsylvania Yank » 02 Feb 2023, 2:10 pm

You all are hitting the mark, but really don't get it. Of course it's nonsense. Of course it will be expensive and consume a lot of law enforcement resources to track and enforce. Of course it will not make any difference in the crime rate. etc etc. You are all operating on a different paradigm than these gun grabbers.

This is the only thing you need to know about ammunition restrictions. These people hate guns and want to compel you to find another hobby and give up shooting and collecting as an activity. Period. End of Story. Putting a stranglehold on ammunition sales is just one more step towards that end. If less people choose to enjoy shooting activities or gun collecting due to ammunition restrictions, well then that definitely makes their day.

And it's not that difficult to restrict ammunition sales to individuals, especially when you already have a gun licensing/registration system in place.
Pennsylvania Yank
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by straightshooter » 02 Feb 2023, 2:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
straightshooter wrote:

Duh

Your dealers might record all your purchases, mine certainly don't Yet .
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 02 Feb 2023, 2:25 pm

Oh well looks like I'll be putting in for a ammo collectors licence :lol: :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 02 Feb 2023, 7:21 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Next thing they'll be suggesting we have to hand in fired brass to prove consumption?

I'm actually surprised they haven't tried this approach, especially in the freedom loving WA...
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2023, 7:38 pm

deye243 wrote:Oh well looks like I'll be putting in for a ammo collectors licence :lol: :thumbsup:

Are you allowed to own firearms that chamber ammo held on a collector's licence?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Barbarian » 02 Feb 2023, 9:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:Oh well looks like I'll be putting in for a ammo collectors licence :lol: :thumbsup:

Are you allowed to own firearms that chamber ammo held on a collector's licence?

When I last asked someone who held a Collectors License here I was told Yes, but the quantities make it pointless. If your licensed for the caliber you can get more than you can hold on a collectors license. But this is WA.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 03 Feb 2023, 12:41 am

bladeracer wrote:

I'm still wondering if this is a serious question or not well if you have a firearms licence and a collectors licence for ammo..... still don't see where this is going.
So what you were saying is if I have a collectors licence and a Shooters licence and I own a 223 I'm not allowed to collect 223 ammunition ? .just asking .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 03 Feb 2023, 3:50 am

bladeracer wrote:

Not sure if this answers any questions, but it's also tas related

https://australiancartridgecollectors.org/External%20Documents/Legislation%20Tasmania.pdf
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 03 Feb 2023, 4:15 am

Not sure if Tasmania counts as a state.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2023, 9:33 am

deye243 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Are you allowed to own firearms that chamber ammo held on a collector's licence?

I'm still wondering if this is a serious question or not well if you have a firearms licence and a collectors licence for ammo..... still don't see where this is going.
So what you were saying is if I have a collectors licence and a Shooters licence and I own a 223 I'm not allowed to collect 223 ammunition ? .just asking .

I'm not saying anything, it was a question :-)
I vaguely recall reading something a while back that suggested you couldn't own firearms that chambered ammo you held on a collector's licence, but it might not have been related to Australia. Seems odd to me, but not entirely implausible these days :-)

I peruse ammo collector sites when I'm trying to identify weird ammo I've been given (like a nickel-cased Super-X 40gn .22LR round-nose that I still can't identify). It's easy to get caught up in the forums so I might've read it there.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 03 Feb 2023, 7:32 pm

Well looks like it's been kicked down the hallway for another 5 months but they are working for a national registry g makes me feel safe already considering how the state ones work :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Feb 2023, 8:23 pm

Fantastic, another Registry to be leaked and hacked.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics