WA mental health checks becoming mandatory

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: WA mental health checks becoming mandatory

Post by animalpest » 06 Feb 2023, 10:58 am

I think it's probably a good thing. If it stops a suicide or shooting then that's positive.

The devil will be in the details, such as can your own GP do it?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2023, 11:14 am

animalpest wrote:I think it's probably a good thing. If it stops a suicide or shooting then that's positive.

If they want to reduce firearm suicides I hope it's already mandatory for Police officers.
Last edited by bladeracer on 06 Feb 2023, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2023, 11:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
animalpest wrote:I think it's probably a good thing. If it stops a suicide or shooting then that's positive.

If they want to reduce firearm suicides I hop it's already mandatory for Police officers.

And ex service men & women. Both have high suicide rates. It's just all about:
Is it needed?
What will be achieved?
Is it fair a equitable?
Will it be it onerous?
Will it be used against us?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 06 Feb 2023, 12:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

If they want to reduce firearm suicides I hop it's already mandatory for Police officers.

And ex service men & women. Both have high suicide rates. It's just all about:
Is it needed?
What will be achieved?
Is it fair a equitable?
Will it be it onerous?
Will it be used against us?

It’s just more bullish!t to keep public servants and beurocrats in a job. More rules and regulations on citizens :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by colin.rac » 06 Feb 2023, 2:12 pm

Interesting. I just recently last month got my firearms license, where late last year I was in a psychiatric ward for a suicide attempt. I submitted multiple doctor’s notes, ranging from my GP to mental health professionals saying I’m alright now.
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by colin.rac » 06 Feb 2023, 2:13 pm

Interesting. I just recently last month got my firearms license, where late last year I was in a psychiatric ward for a suicide attempt. I submitted multiple doctor’s notes, ranging from my GP to mental health professionals saying I’m alright now and they granted me my license. I wonder how this new reform is going to affect owner’s like me who have a past history of issues like that. I hope they do not take my firearms away as well as my license.
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by S O K A R » 06 Feb 2023, 2:29 pm

colin.rac wrote:Interesting. I just recently last month got my firearms license, where late last year I was in a psychiatric ward for a suicide attempt. I submitted multiple doctor’s notes, ranging from my GP to mental health professionals saying I’m alright now and they granted me my license. I wonder how this new reform is going to affect owner’s like me who have a past history of issues like that. I hope they do not take my firearms away as well as my license.

I know here in Tasmania you need to provide reports once yearly for a period of three years from a psychologist before they will take that condition off your licence and you're just considered a general gun owner at that point.
Not sure if WA is different, but as far as I am aware its not a permanent license condition.
Not sure if that will change with these new laws...
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 06 Feb 2023, 3:15 pm

Looking further into this, it is just reactionary political point scoring.
There were 20 firearm deaths in WA Last year, being suicides, homicides, accidental combined.
There were 389 suicides overall in the state.
There were 83 homicides in the state overall.
The road toll was 174 and other accidental deaths I can’t find record of.
So whilst still tragic, firearms are responsible for a rather small percentage overall.
Compared to other states Western Australia seems to have very low figures. So I’m calling it antis being vindictive.
After all that was the bold quote first and foremost in the article.. “this is not about being vindictive”
Well yes it is. That’s exactly what this is.

If they really wanted to make a difference from a genuine humanitarian perspective, they should be focused on the high numbers. Drug test truck drivers, better training and induction for heavy machinery, whatever, I’m speculating. But fact is lafos rate rather insignificantly
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 06 Feb 2023, 3:28 pm

womble wrote:Looking further into this, it is just reactionary political point scoring.
There were 20 firearm deaths in WA Last year, being suicides, homicides, accidental combined.
So whilst still tragic, firearms are responsible for a rather small percentage overall.
Compared to other states Western Australia seems to have very low figures. So I’m calling it antis being vindictive.
After all that was the bold quote first and foremost in the article.. “this is not about being vindictive”

If they really wanted to make a difference from a genuine humanitarian perspective, they should be focused on the high numbers. Drug test truck drivers, better training and induction for heavy machinery, whatever, I’m speculating. But fact is lafos rate rather insignificantly

YOU NAILED IT WOMBLE ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

have you thought about a career in politics........ :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 06 Feb 2023, 3:38 pm

Now about that bow hunting ban.
My people, Homo sapiens, have been harvesting meat from the wild for roughly 300,000 years . Supermarkets are a relatively recent invention.
My ancestors before me, homo erections, ( no not really, homo erectus, but that sounded funny ) have been doing the same since roughly 1.6 million years prior.
That’s a lot of evolution to make me what I am. Not necessarily who I am, but what i am as a species.
I have canine teeth and my eyes are on the front of my head and I thoroughly get off on running through long grass. Preferably stark naked but am willing to make some concessions for modern times.
There’s no shame in what I am. It’s just my nature.

Now some bureaucrat can come along today and legislate what I am. Apparently I’m now an omnivore with big fat molars and eyes on the side of my head. It’s just not true or real.
The sheer God like arrogance of it is delusional.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by NorthWester » 06 Feb 2023, 5:36 pm

womble wrote:Looking further into this, it is just reactionary political point scoring.

Yep typical selective statistics politics to suit an agenda....

I concede if you have ready access to a firearm then perhaps it could be your method of choice for suicide or worse murder. However, if you're mentally unwell, and feel suicidal without access to firearms you will find another way. Likewise for murder.

I realise that in most cases once you pull the trigger, there are no second chances, compared to other methods (not all), so perhaps it might prevent some suicides and possibly more murder suicides, but if there is a will there is unfortunately a way.

Totally agree with the need to focus on other areas of the statistics.

Would be interesting to understand of the 20 firearm related deaths, how many were in each category and of those how many were by licensed firearm owners?
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2023, 5:52 pm

I interesting womble. Good work. I'm guessing you have visited the ABS?

Sooo, does not pass the pub test?

Edit:
Question is,, how to stop it?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 06 Feb 2023, 6:12 pm

A good legal challenge will eat her alive.
She’s got no ground to stand on. She’s appropriated a notoriously violent gangland culture from a foreign country to draw statistics.
And then transposed that into rural Western Australia. It has no relevance outside her own fantasy.
We don’t have crips and bloods roaming the countryside.
She’s an idiot.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Feb 2023, 6:47 pm

womble wrote:A good legal challenge will eat her alive.
She’s got no ground to stand on. She’s appropriated a notoriously violent gangland culture from a foreign country to draw statistics.
And then transposed that into rural Western Australia. It has no relevance outside her own fantasy.
She’s an idiot.

Her statistical statement was as relevant as applying the consumption of icecream in the western world to Africa.
She should stick to her day job of being a misandristic pig.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Pennsylvania Yank » 06 Feb 2023, 11:06 pm

womble wrote:A good legal challenge will eat her alive.
She’s an idiot.

The US has moved from an Inner City Gangland Culture, to an Open Borders Narco-Gang Culture and a Nationwide Soft On Violent Crime Culture.

In New York, the Legislature passed a law requiring gun license applicants to turn over all of their social media accounts for scrutiny and a three year look-back so they can check for "Extremist Views". That's the kind of slippery slope you are all in for if your measure stands. Holding the wrong views and opinions will get you banned.
Pennsylvania Yank
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by womble » 07 Feb 2023, 3:36 am

That’s a tricky one.
The biggest threat to private gun ownership here today is the rise in radical extremism. It’s what’s driving the constant push for tougher laws. Particularly in Nsw. And of course we recently had some people with radical views turn their thoughts into actions and kill some young police officers in QLD.
The reality is extremists are causing lafos more harm than the antis had ever hoped for in their wildest dreams.
Not hard to find far right views expressed on Aussie gun forums, social media. And a fair percentage of that will be antis in disguise because they live for this stuff. It’s a dream come true for them.
Federal agencies already have full access to all your social media accounts here. They even have full authority to take over your online identity.

New York is a world renowned success story, as you’d know, because you live in the US right.
Through the late 70’s early 80’s it was one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Statistically on parallel with Beirut or Johannesburg. It was a dystopian city of fear where people were too frightened to leave their homes.
Today it’s the safest city in the US.
And yet you can still have access to anything you want so long as your interest is legitimate. You can own an ar-15 for hunting. But you can’t take it out on the streets. If you’re a threat to the peace, which was hard won. New York will f*** you up.

Again no relevance to WA. Already the safest state to live in the country. Gun violence virtually non existent
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 07 Feb 2023, 4:00 am

Disrespectful for me to call that lady an idiot in my previous post. I do respect her and her intentions.
If we can do more to prevent suicides in rural areas, particularly young males, we’re totally on board with that.
But she needs to do better. She needs to be better engaged with with who and what she’s focused on.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2023, 7:57 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2023, 9:25 am

womble wrote:That’s a tricky one.
The biggest threat to private gun ownership here today is the rise in radical extremism. It’s what’s driving the constant push for tougher laws. Particularly in Nsw. And of course we recently had some people with radical views turn their thoughts into actions and kill some young police officers in QLD.
The reality is extremists are causing lafos more harm than the antis had ever hoped for in their wildest dreams.
Not hard to find far right views expressed on Aussie gun forums, social media. And a fair percentage of that will be antis in disguise because they live for this stuff. It’s a dream come true for them.
Federal agencies already have full access to all your social media accounts here. They even have full authority to take over your online identity.

New York is a world renowned success story, as you’d know, because you live in the US right.
Through the late 70’s early 80’s it was one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Statistically on parallel with Beirut or Johannesburg. It was a dystopian city of fear where people were too frightened to leave their homes.
Today it’s the safest city in the US.
And yet you can still have access to anything you want so long as your interest is legitimate. You can own an ar-15 for hunting. But you can’t take it out on the streets. If you’re a threat to the peace, which was hard won. New York will f*** you up.

Again no relevance to WA. Already the safest state to live in the country. Gun violence virtually non existent

The biggest threat to civilian firearm ownership is the UN and its requirements for disarmed populations - with zero regard to public safety or whatever nastiness terrorists are getting up to. Authorities look for extreme right wing views because it gives them easy targets they can flood the media with to enact further restrictions, not because they're a threat to anybody. If all the right wing extremists here in Australia went out and committed acts of terror with firearms we would still have virtually no gun violence.

I want the Police to publish how many rounds were fired all across Australia last year in _all_ violent criminal acts, and then explain why they want to control how much we can own. While they're doing that they can also tell us how many violent acts were committed with fists and feet...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 07 Feb 2023, 11:58 am

Wed have virtually no mosques or synagogues left either
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2023, 12:09 pm

womble wrote:Wed have virtually no mosques or synagogues left either

Why not?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2023, 2:53 pm

Who knows how many LAFOs shot and killed (murder) someone last year in WA?

How many suicides by firearm in WA last year?

What are the statistics to support the "mental health check" concept?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 07 Feb 2023, 3:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Why not?

Because in your hypothetical “ if all the right wing extremists here in Australia went out and committed acts of terror with firearms”
Because those are the most likely ethnic targets for them in Aus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_terrorism
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2023, 6:09 pm

womble wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Why not?

Because in your hypothetical “ if all the right wing extremists here in Australia went out and committed acts of terror with firearms”
Because those are the most likely ethnic targets for them in Aus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_terrorism

I didn't realise you were addressing me, I thought you were suggesting mental health checks would make mosques and temples disappear :-)

That Wiki page doesn't make out these places as targets for these groups within Australia. I was in Perth when Van Tongeren decided to fire bomb Asian businesses, and it was nasty stuff. But I would have thought he wouldn't have had any difficulty sourcing firearms if he'd wanted them.

These sorts of laws only prevent you and I from owning firearms legally, they do nothing to prevent extremists from getting them. What we need is that when authorities have reason to believe somebody shouldn't have access to firearms they won't approve a licence, but they have neglected to do this too many times in the past so that clearly doesn't work. People that volunteer to be tested as part of the licencing process probably aren't a risk to anybody, they really need to be testing the people that are spouting their nasty garbage before they should be allowed to get illegal firearms.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by safeshot » 08 Feb 2023, 5:34 pm

Lets also see mandatory mental health checks on anyone seeking political office.
Take note of the senator who initially refused the oath of office and has now dumped the party that put her in place. very unstable me thinks.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Feb 2023, 8:02 pm

safeshot wrote:Lets also see mandatory mental health checks on anyone seeking political office.
Take note of the senator who initially refused the oath of office and has now dumped the party that put her in place. very unstable me thinks.

I'd like to see regular random drug and alcohol testing of all politicians.
If their making important decisions that directly affect the running of our great nation, our monetary policies, how our taxes are spend and the laws we live under, I'd like to know they are of sound mind and their decision making is unaffected by drugs.
I find it very strange that they never get tested, not even a pre-employment medical.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 09 Feb 2023, 3:26 am

…but they’re all on drugs. Who would run the country.

This bloke was shi*tfaced 24/7.
And he did a great job. Maybe it’s not such a bad thing.

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 09 Feb 2023, 11:00 am

Just think about politicians for a second.

The only ones with anything to fear from it are the corrupt, yet almost all fight tooth and nail to prevent, or at least weaken as much as possible, any federal anti corruption body.

The only ones who need fear drug testing are those turning up pissed or tweaked, yet they fight that too.

On the basis of that, one would be forgiven for a belief thay they're a pack of crooked pissheads.

And there's this:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/ar ... /1w6gjyywb
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 09 Feb 2023, 2:04 pm

womble wrote:…but they’re all on drugs. Who would run the country.
This bloke was shi*tfaced 24/7.
And he did a great job. Maybe it’s not such a bad thing.

So was hitler, that turned out great :lol:
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 09 Feb 2023, 3:10 pm

Appears to be a rather large hole in my argument.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics