Current wait times

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: Current wait times

Post by colin.rac » 27 Jan 2023, 6:26 pm

Submitted application on the 25/11/22, just got the "approved" thing on the website checker on the 27/01/22. 63 days or 2 months, form 22 took 4 weeks to approve for me. Hope this helps.

It was for a Stirling M14 .22LR (Cat A)
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Toadstool » 29 Jan 2023, 4:48 pm

NorthWester wrote:I submitted an application for an additional Cat A firearm (Shotgun) on the 13 Jan 23.

So far the status portal is just saying it's in progress and they'll contact me if they need any more info.

In Progress
The application is being processed by Licensing Services (LED). You will be notified if any further information is required from the applicant or on completion of application processing.

Based on the above post by Toadstool re they are only up to November it looks like the Christmas period created a backlog, or perhaps a rush on people trying to license new or additional firearms before any further amendments to the act that might make it even harder to get a firearm in WA.

Found an interesting letter online from a few years ago addressing a petition from Michelle Roberts. Lots of topics discussed.

https://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Parliament/petitionsdb.nsf/($all)/B7C97594AA13BE284825856D00320584/$file/27768384.pdf

Possibly a bit out of date now (April 2020), but it stated the following:

Licence Processing
The WA Police Force advise that, in the normal course of events, an application for an
original licence should take no more than sixty days and for an addition of a firearm to
an existing licence no more than thirty-five days.

The Firearms Act 1973 requires a mandatory cooling off period of twenty-eight days
in respect of an application for an original licence. The practical result of this
requirement is that determination of an application for such a licence cannot
commence until the expiration of this cooling off period.
In the experience of Western Australia Police Force, delay can often be attributed to
an applicant not initially having the required information at the time of lodging their
application

So based on this I'm definitely looking at a few more week until I get the approval. :(

What!? the 13th Jan!?I submitted mine (same as you addition to cat A firearm) the 23rd December and they havn't even entered my details into the portal at all!

Still getting the 'No records found' when trying to track the progress. The lady I spoke to said it was because they wern't up to it yet, but yours gives you a 'processing' message and you submitted 3 weeks after me... This makes absolutely no sense.

As for the max 35 days thing for an addition. I'm on day 37 or so still getting the 'No records found' tracking message :/ Making me wonder if i've been flagged for something :P
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NorthWester » 30 Jan 2023, 1:04 pm

What!? the 13th Jan!?I submitted mine (same as you addition to cat A firearm) the 23rd December and they havn't even entered my details into the portal at all!

Still getting the 'No records found' when trying to track the progress. The lady I spoke to said it was because they wern't up to it yet, but yours gives you a 'processing' message and you submitted 3 weeks after me... This makes absolutely no sense.

As for the max 35 days thing for an addition. I'm on day 37 or so still getting the 'No records found' tracking message :/ Making me wonder if i've been flagged for something :P

Mine was like that for only 2 days, I put it down to the time it takes to process the attachments from the LPO to WAPOL.

But in your case it doesn't sound right, especially the portal thing. I noticed when I first checked I had a typo. So double check all your details and application number and give it another shot. That said I suspect you have numerous times.

I'm half expecting mine to get questioned too. Reasoning is the category on the serviceability cert states Cat A, and it's for a .410 Lever Action Shotgun, which I think might be another Cat based on some of the things on this forum. Also the magazine capacity is stated as 8. My understanding is we can only have a max of 5 and whilst some internet sites state a capacity of 8, others say 5 for this model. So suspect a mistake from the shop.

I rang the shop and they double checked and said no it is def Cat A... Re the magazine capacity they didn't think it would be an issue and if it was WAPOL would simply call them and they would update it online, so no stress they will sort it out... I'm still stressed though... :? My fault I should have read it closer...

Hopefully we both get a happy surprise in the mail soon.
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Toadstool » 30 Jan 2023, 3:58 pm

NorthWester wrote:
But in your case it doesn't sound right, especially the portal thing. I noticed when I first checked I had a typo. So double check all your details and application number and give it another shot. That said I suspect you have numerous times.

I'm half expecting mine to get questioned too. Reasoning is the category on the serviceability cert states Cat A, and it's for a .410 Lever Action Shotgun, which I think might be another Cat based on some of the things on this forum. Also the magazine capacity is stated as 8. My understanding is we can only have a max of 5 and whilst some internet sites state a capacity of 8, others say 5 for this model. So suspect a mistake from the shop.

I rang the shop and they double checked and said no it is def Cat A... Re the magazine capacity they didn't think it would be an issue and if it was WAPOL would simply call them and they would update it online, so no stress they will sort it out... I'm still stressed though... :? My fault I should have read it closer...

Oh yeah have double checked info multiple times. Using without and with middle name etc. I know the tracking number is good as it's what I read over the phone to the lady and she pulled up the record with that.

I havnt considered anything wrong with the paperwork, as the gun shop did it all for me. All I had to do was take it to the post office.

I bet i'll get a suprise in the mail, or at my door, but maybe not such a happy one :P
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by colin.rac » 31 Jan 2023, 1:06 am

NorthWester wrote:

Mine was like that for only 2 days, I put it down to the time it takes to process the attachments from the LPO to WAPOL.

Lever action shotguns are CAT B, and yes a 5 shot mag is the limit, then i believe it goes to cat C or D, or is straight up prohibited. You are definitely going to get an email, letter or phone call asking why this is a CAT A gun and may question your genuine reason (not need, genuine need is only required for cat B and up). Personally, I would be calling up licensing services and confirming if they categorise your lever action as a CAT A, things could get interesting if they deem it is as CAT B.
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NorthWester » 13 Feb 2023, 5:08 pm

Update:

Finally got a call from firearms today explaining that my serviceability certificate states a magazine capacity of 8 and this is prohibited. Plus as we now all know the CAT should have been CAT B, not CAT A as it was on the certificate.

So now onto the LGS to update the serviceability certificate so that they can process it. Luckily for me, I already have a CAT B license, so still just an additional application.

Firearms were actually pretty good, so hopefully still on track to for approval. At least it is now being looked at.
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 13 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm

So is the magazine capacity 5 or 8?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ozpompey » 14 Feb 2023, 11:37 am

so reading the posts about the mag capacity, i just checked my service certificate for my ruger .17hmr, it states mag capacity of 9... my 28 day wait period is finished today, so am i going to have a problem regarding the mag capacity ?????... or is it different rules regarding mag capacity for rifles compared to shotguns???.. if not then why are gun shops allowed to sell magazines that are not legal ???... as this is my original application for a firearm licence i am confused a bit...
ozpompey
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 1:19 pm

ozpompey wrote:so reading the posts about the mag capacity, i just checked my service certificate for my ruger .17hmr, it states mag capacity of 9... my 28 day wait period is finished today, so am i going to have a problem regarding the mag capacity ?????... or is it different rules regarding mag capacity for rifles compared to shotguns???.. if not then why are gun shops allowed to sell magazines that are not legal ???... as this is my original application for a firearm licence i am confused a bit...

Yes, guns have different rules to rifles.
Rimfire rifle detachable mag capacity is 15rds in all states as far I'm aware, and 10rds for centrefire CatB. Other than lever-guns (not rifles) I think all mag capacity restrictions only apply to detachable mags.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NorthWester » 14 Feb 2023, 3:09 pm

animalpest wrote:So is the magazine capacity 5 or 8?

NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NorthWester » 27 Feb 2023, 12:45 pm

Update.

Finally the WAPOL Firearms Portal changed to Status "Approved" today. Making a total of 47 days since submission to Approval in the portal. I guess I now have 5-6 days wait time (although I still don't understand why the mail takes that long when its normally only 2 days for all other mail) until I get the updated license in the mailbox and can then pick up the shotgun.

If they had a pick up option I'd drive out to Cannington today and pick up the updated license....

Fingers crossed it arrives before this long weekend.
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bazz » 27 Feb 2023, 1:21 pm

NorthWester wrote:Update.

Finally the WAPOL Firearms Portal changed to Status "Approved" today. Making a total of 47 days since submission to Approval in the portal. I guess I now have 5-6 days wait time (although I still don't understand why the mail takes that long when its normally only 2 days for all other mail) until I get the updated license in the mailbox and can then pick up the shotgun.

If they had a pick up option I'd drive out to Cannington today and pick up the updated license....

I can feel your excitement through the computer :lol:

Good stuff mate, enjoy your new acquisition!
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 27 Feb 2023, 7:20 pm

NorthWester wrote:Update.

If you just turn up at Cannington you can get a copy printed out for the sun of $30 or thereabouts

I've done it plenty of times when I'm up in Perth, didn't bring my licence and want to buy some ammo or something

I usually tell them I accidentally put it in the washing machine. Anyway they've probably read this comment and put me on the s**t list now cos they will do it, but they're never happy about it hahaha
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ozpompey » 02 Mar 2023, 11:40 am

quick question for original applicants... how long after the 28 day period did you receive something from the licensing dept ???... i put in my original application on January the 17th.. now it is march the2nd, 17 days after the 28 day period ended and have not heard a thing from them whatsever... when i check on the website it just says it is being proccessed...
ozpompey
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Kappakor » 03 Mar 2023, 5:31 pm

Cooling off period ended February 15th, received email on February 17th saying it had been sent to Approvals Officer. Intention to proceed and storage statement arrived on February 28th (dated by WAPOL February 21st), completed and returned March 1st. Portal displayed "APPROVED" on March 3rd. Post seems to be the biggest delay.
Kappakor
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NorthWester » 08 Mar 2023, 5:26 pm

Final update for me.

Finally received the amended license in the mail box last Friday. Total time from post office submission to license (additional) in the mail box was 50 days.

Managed to pick up the new addition the same afternoon, so happy days after a long wait.
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ozpompey » 18 Mar 2023, 11:03 am

so i put my original application for a license in on january 17th.... checked the website this morning and it states ' The application process is completed by Licensing Services (LED) and is Approved '... ( yessssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!! ) so presuming it was approved yesterday, that means it took 59 days from application submitted to approved...
ozpompey
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ob1 » 24 Mar 2023, 1:00 pm

Five weeks from post office submission to approval for an addition. Waiting for the new licence to be posted from over East, where they are printed. Crazy system.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Dess787 » 18 Sep 2023, 8:04 pm

Guys for an original license application, how long does it take from lodging your application at the post office for it to appear on the online portal ?

I would have thought it would have been really short and be shortly after it is scanned at the post office, and have some kind of 'submitted'' status, but does it only appear when they start processing it ?

And just to confirm, your application no is on your receipt and has 10 numbers with 4 letters at the end ?

Thanks
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bazz » 19 Sep 2023, 3:22 pm

Dess787 wrote:Guys for an original license application, how long does it take from lodging your application at the post office for it to appear on the online portal ?

I would have thought it would have been really short and be shortly after it is scanned at the post office, and have some kind of 'submitted'' status, but does it only appear when they start processing it ?

And just to confirm, your application no is on your receipt and has 10 numbers with 4 letters at the end ?

Thanks

Hi Dess787,

Take a breath and try not to overthink it. It will eventually appear on the portal. You've got a record of payment and a reference number so I can quite confidently assume it's not "lost in the system" or anything of the like. There isn't a submitted status in the portal.

You may want to check on your reference number as they are normally 9 digits with 4 letters at the end, not 10 as you've questioned with the first 4 numbers being the year.

Cheers
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by westaussie » 20 Sep 2023, 1:53 pm

approved 6th of september... you wouldn't think it takes two weeks to print a piece of paper, put it in the envelope, and send it... but here we are still waiting.

at least it should be instant in the new portal.
westaussie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 21 Sep 2023, 11:03 am

Ever since they launched that online portal, Ive had I think 4 or 5 additions go through under that system

Not once has any of them ever appeared using the online search/lookup function

Waste of time and money

They all got approved eventually but I have never been able to check up on it online. Our tax dollars hard at work
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Dess787 » 30 Sep 2023, 8:22 am

Wonder if Police will now sit on applications until their new gun laws kick in ?
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Western Australia gun laws