308 in a mauser k98?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

308 in a mauser k98?

Post by Rutabaga » 15 Feb 2023, 6:12 am

I've got my eye on an israeli mauser k98 chambered in 7.62x51.

Does anyone have any experience running 308 through one of these? My research so far suggests that the mauser action is strong enough to manage the higher pressure of 308 even if it's not what's stamped on the rifle, but I'm still fairly cautious.

Actual 7.62x51 is pretty hard to come by, and i don't reload so can't make reduced loads to take the pressure down. So feeding it might be a issue if i buy it.

Is 308 ok to run or will i dun get myself blowed up?
Rutabaga
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: 308 in a mauser k98?

Post by bigpete » 15 Feb 2023, 6:14 am

I think you'll be just fine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 15 Feb 2023, 6:24 am

All things considered 7.62x51 and 308 Win are regarded as interchangeable.
If your k98 is a large ring version then no problems but if it is a small ring then be aware that there have been rare instances of receiver failure although one would expect any unsafe units would have been weeded out in proof testing when conversion took place.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Feb 2023, 6:28 am

heaps of israeli mausers are around, never heard of a failure . the large ring k98 is one of the strongest actions made . if reloading pay attention to preasure signs and you'll be fine
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 15 Feb 2023, 7:07 am

Perfectly fine. A common conversion under our (fairly large) service rifle club. Witnessed one shooting only last Saturday actually, onto a digital target. It was shooting very well. The biggest complaint is recoil, if you are running power/factory loads - they are only ~4kg with a metal buttplate.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Feb 2023, 7:46 am

in2anity wrote:Perfectly fine. A common conversion under our (fairly large) service rifle club. Witnessed one shooting only last Saturday actually, onto a digital target. It was shooting very well. The biggest complaint is recoil, if you are running power/factory loads - they are only ~4kg with a metal buttplate.

30-06 columbian carbines with a 16" barrel are fun :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 15 Feb 2023, 7:48 am

bigrich wrote:30-06 columbian carbines with a 16" barrel are fun :P

Thrilling stuff. But your group will be s**t :lol:

https://youtu.be/l66y8D0wHb4
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Vince24 » 15 Feb 2023, 2:20 pm

I can only agree that the 98k action is extremely robust and I am not aware of any having failed in normal circumstances (i.e. discarding crazy load experiments).

Now let's also remembers that some of those Israeli Mausers are ex-nazi, some of them produced in the late months of the war in 1945, by a slave labour force, under allied carpet bombing raids, with whatever steel could be available.

Thus if yours is one of those very late war 98k and you don't handload, I would recommend the PPU/Partizan ammo: cheap, accurate enough for the job, and generally not too hot and well suited to old military rifles. Just to be sure, to be sure, to be sure...
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by dnedative » 15 Feb 2023, 6:38 pm

Vince24 wrote:Now let's also remembers that some of those Israeli Mausers are ex-nazi, some of them produced in the late months of the war in 1945, by a slave labour force, under allied carpet bombing raids, with whatever steel could be available.

The Germans never dropped their standards (nor did the Japanese), they simplified production but they never cut corners when it came to what they were made from or how they were manufactured. Their Volkssturm (aka last ditch) rifles were all proof tested, even the 8x57 Carcano conversions Krieghoff did. Further to this, after the war Brno assembled a stack of K98 rifles from blank forged receivers the Germans inspected and rejected in 1944, they had passed the fire proof (and were stamped as such) but were rejected as the trigger pin boss were slightly too far back or some other minor dimension issue that made 100% parts interchangeability an issue. The rest of the Israeli rifles were refurbished from captured stocks in Czechoslovakia or made from the mountains of various spare parts the factory had.

You never see 98 mausers come apart of any variant; The design is incredibly tolerant, steel wise they are nothing special either.
Earlier 93/95/96 mausers are a different kettle of fish.

Israeli K98's are all rock solid, they have been through a few wars and a few barrels. If there was anything wrong it wouldn't exist.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rutabaga » 16 Feb 2023, 3:57 pm

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.
Rutabaga
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bigrich » 18 Feb 2023, 5:00 am

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:30-06 columbian carbines with a 16" barrel are fun :P

Thrilling stuff. But your group will be s**t :lol:

https://youtu.be/l66y8D0wHb4

with slow burning powder the meter long flame out of the barrel would be spectacular :lol: . i've thought about getting one to payback guys with muzzle brakes at the range :P

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by phill55phill » 18 Feb 2023, 9:15 am

Same thing fire away I have 2 isreali actions in custom rifles I am 3 grains above Max loads in one and still know pressure signs
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by phill55phill » 18 Feb 2023, 9:15 am

Same thing fire away I have 2 isreali actions in custom rifles I am 3 grains above Max loads in one and still know pressure signs
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles