Araldite for bedding

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Araldite for bedding

Post by Blue » 07 Feb 2023, 9:41 am

Could anyone please advise the best type of araldite available in Australia for bedding a rifle action into a stock and where to obtain it? Thanks.
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Araldite for bedding

Post by GQshayne » 09 Feb 2023, 7:36 pm

I would not use Araldite, but have used JB Weld a couple of times.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 09 Feb 2023, 8:29 pm

Devcon 11010 thank me later
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Feb 2023, 8:57 pm

I did a wooden stock many years ago with araldite, it was a little fiddly but it worked.
It's all basiccy the same stuff, the only variable is the working time which affects strength in the long run, not an issue for bedding other than the slower stuff is more likely to dribble out here and there and get into places you don't want it.
I used a single film of cling wrap to prevent gluing the action to the stock.
Definitely far from ideal, the two products previously mentioned would be far better :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Feb 2023, 9:24 pm

I have used this product on three different rifles for bedding.
I have also used Devcon but prefer the Sika Concrete fix Kit above and beyond,,,,,,,,,,
It does a fantastic job,,,,,,,,,,,, and is cheaper than Devcon.
Available at Bunnings Warehouse

100_6337.JPG
100_6337.JPG (560.99 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
100_6338.JPG
100_6338.JPG (460.38 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 09 Feb 2023, 11:49 pm

Devcon for me
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 10 Feb 2023, 6:26 pm

There is a couple of different types of Devcon ( Devon is the brand). The one I used is for aluminium repairs to HVAC systems, it works really well. There are steel, brass and Titanium ones that are quite expensive. The Aluminium ones isn't too expensive, the smallest pack will do 3 to 4 bedding jobs.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by BMW » 11 Feb 2023, 8:32 am

Use Devcon 10110.
BMW
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Blue » 21 Feb 2023, 10:32 am

I've previously always borrowed a mate's araldite for bedding (gave him a few cans of beer in return) on several rifles and I really liked it. It's just that the mate has now died, and I can't remember what specific type of araldite it was. I tried Acraglass and hated it...sets way too fast. That's why I wanted to buy my own cans of araldite, but not sure which one is best for rifle bedding.
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 21 Feb 2023, 5:29 pm

Blue wrote:I've previously always borrowed a mate's araldite for bedding (gave him a few cans of beer in return) on several rifles and I really liked it. It's just that the mate has now died, and I can't remember what specific type of araldite it was. I tried Acraglass and hated it...sets way too fast. That's why I wanted to buy my own cans of araldite, but not sure which one is best for rifle bedding.

It was probably a product similar to builders bog or vehicle apoxy. You can vary the amount of hardener and it will set slower and be stronger with less shrinkage or, faster set will be more brittle. When you said Araldite I immediately thought the equal part plunger stuff from Bunnings which isn't very good for rifle bedding.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Blue » 21 Feb 2023, 6:56 pm

It came in two cans about 500ml each, hardener and resin. It was Araldite (written on the cans), but not sure which number Araldite. I mixed the usual black die with it and it set in several hours. I used a spray release agent. Always worked well for me.
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 22 Feb 2023, 4:13 pm

Make sure you do a thorough job of applying release agent and either tape up the trigger housing or remove it . Don't let it go really hard before you remove the stock . Some people use tape to hold the action in the stock and don't tighten the screws much at all . Put two bands of tape on the barrel before any stock material is removed so it fits back into the stock without drooping . If you are bedding onto pre glued in pillars you can just use the screws to pull down half tight . Make sure you arrange for clearance in the correct areas using tape as per the type of action so it comes out easy without chipping and other reasons . To remove stock grasp barrel in one hand and stock forend in the other and slowly pull apart . Clean off the excess release agent and any weep area and then refit the stock semi tight . Allow a few days to cure fully . Then remove stock clean up everything lightly oil metalwork and refit stock to normal tightness or your specific torque . Different designed actions bed differently so if you are not familiar with that study up before bedding .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blue » 06 May 2023, 4:18 am

I found a very old post on another forum and the araldite that was used and recommended for rifle bedding was Araldite K138 . Has anyone used this particular Araldite for bedding?
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 06 May 2023, 8:52 am

If you use thin viscosity Araldite of any kind on it's own it's too runny and droops out of position and can get real messy . To make it thicker and more usable mix in a very small pinch of Graphite and a touch of talc , this makes it stay in place better and turns it black . Just don't use a quick setting Araldite in case you have to remove the action and start again . Car bog polyester putty does ok also and does not shrink . Always have a small left over amount that you can monitor as it goes hard . As soon as it's gone hard enough to not deform with the point of a screw driver with a gentle push then gently remove it and refit as per my above post . Make sure you get release agent into every nook and cranny and having the right clearances in the right places makes getting it out far easier .
K138 is more of a paste and would be good but it's hard to buy in my local . A friend told me to got to spray painting supplier not that far away that they had it but I have not needed any yet .
My 223 was done with Devcon epoxy putty by a club armorer but my 308 I did myself with an Acraglass kit , looks similar stuff to me . My Mauser Butler Creek stock is bedded with Araldite Graphite mix so it matches the black plastic stock but it mainly sits in an alloy rail stock anyway .
My 22-250 I can't remembr what the bedding material was probably Acraglass .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 06 May 2023, 11:46 am

The product I listed (with pics) above, is the best for the job that I've ever used, and way cheaper than the likes of Devcon.

1) You get an awful lot of rifles bedded out of those canisters
2) It has a very long shelf life (as long as the lids are replaced properly)
3) It mixes up fairly thick and isn't runny
4) Doesn't go off quickly (approx 12 hrs) so you don't have to rush the job.
5) Doesn't shrink
6) Excellent adhesion

What's not to like about all that ?

You seem to be fixated on using Araldite, :unknown:
The general opinions of several members above have not recommended its use for bedding
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blue » 06 May 2023, 1:20 pm

There's a bit of a learning curve when you switch bedding materials. I don't deny that the other recommendations are probably very good, but I'm used to using the Araldite and it's done a great job on all my rifles. That's why if I can get the same type of Araldite to what I previously used, that would be my first preference. Unless there's some big negative to using it which I wasn't aware of.
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing