Eating feral pigs

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Eating feral pigs

Post by Blue » 21 Feb 2023, 11:58 am

I used to eat the rear quarters of feral pigs I shot, but in the last ten years, because of what I read e.g. leptospirosis, bovine brucellosis, I haven't. Apparently, it's the body fluids of infected pigs that's the problem...but mainly to the person butchering the pig (e.g. the hunter). I wear thick rubber gloves whenever I touch pigs I've shot. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm thinking of eating them again. Pigs are from the New England area of NSW. Anyone eat the pigs they shoot and why or why not? I believe we used to export all the pigs to Hungary, Germany and maybe Austria for them to serve in restaurants, that we never ate in Australia.
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Eating feral pigs

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2023, 3:50 pm

Blue wrote:I used to eat the rear quarters of feral pigs I shot, but in the last ten years, because of what I read e.g. leptospirosis, bovine brucellosis, I haven't. Apparently, it's the body fluids of infected pigs that's the problem...but mainly to the person butchering the pig (e.g. the hunter). I wear thick rubber gloves whenever I touch pigs I've shot. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm thinking of eating them again. Pigs are from the New England area of NSW. Anyone eat the pigs they shoot and why or why not? I believe we used to export all the pigs to Hungary, Germany and maybe Austria for them to serve in restaurants, that we never ate in Australia.

I adore pork, by far my favourite meat, but personally, I wouldn't be eating wild pig for pleasure, only in an emergency. Probably more than 99% of them would be fine but the nastiness I've seen and heard about rules out that small risk when clean pork is readily available at butcher shops.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blue » 21 Feb 2023, 7:05 pm

I understand that it's far more than 1% that have either or both of those diseases I mentioned, but also those European countries didn't seem too concerned about them. As mentioned, it seems to be the body fluids that are a problem on any open cuts etc, from what I can determine...not a problem for the consumers of the pork apparently.
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 21 Feb 2023, 7:50 pm

I give eating them a miss too. Not worth the risk.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2023, 8:05 pm

Blue wrote:I understand that it's far more than 1% that have either or both of those diseases I mentioned, but also those European countries didn't seem too concerned about them. As mentioned, it seems to be the body fluids that are a problem on any open cuts etc, from what I can determine...not a problem for the consumers of the pork apparently.

I can buy good clean pork though so why even take any risk at all. Grab a ham on the way out there if you want a pork feed in the bush. Set it up to cook, go bang some piggies, come back for a beautiful pork roast or however you prefer it. If you're stuck out there and need a feed then sure thing, select some cuts that look clean, cook them well and get them into you, but I wouldn't bother just for a feed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Feb 2023, 8:36 pm

I found about 5 small piglets in a grass nest once. My mates girlfriend had a really big camp oven and she was a real good cook . There was room for pumpkin and potatoes and onion and the five piglets in that camp oven. They were tender and amazing. Care with blood and urine and cuts on hands when field dressing is important and thorough cooking is important
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2023, 9:17 pm

Provided you school up on what to look for disease and parasite wise, proper / clean butchering and cooking there's no reason you can't eat feral pig.
Brucellosis isn't too uncommon, do a little homework on that one.
Just as 243 said ... cuts n scratches on yourself is a pathway for infection, your eyes acn also be another pathway if you cop a drop of infected blood, guts or urine in them.
Meanwhile, have a read here :thumbsup:
viewtopic.php?t=7673
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blue » 22 Feb 2023, 4:13 am

That link was good. Confirmed what I previously thought. I'll just take the rear legs of young pigs, not cut them open, continue to wear thick rubber gloves, cook really well and be a bit careful.
Blue
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation