Permit to Acquire - Required details

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Permit to Acquire - Required details

Post by VK3 » 23 Feb 2023, 4:14 pm

Hi all,

I just received my payment slip in the mail and am now in the process of submitting a a PTA.

Quick question, do I need to complete the permit details in full, or can I leave these details empty (see attached image).

By leaving the serial and firearm type empty, will this allow me to acquire any brand I want at the time of purchase?

Cheers!
Attachments
ee.png
ee.png (31.1 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
VK3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Permit to Acquire - Required details

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Feb 2023, 2:07 pm

G'day VK3,
You don't need to fill in the serial number for a longarm, you only need to record "Type, Action & Calibre" as well as your "Genuine Need/Reason" for Cat B. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2023, 6:29 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day VK3,
You don't need to fill in the serial number for a longarm, you only need to record "Type, Action & Calibre" as well as your "Genuine Need/Reason" for Cat B. Cheers.

yep . this is all i do . the gunshop will fill in the rest of the details when you make your purchase :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by S O K A R » 28 Feb 2023, 3:41 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day VK3,

Interesting how it differs state to state, here in Tas we don't need to provide any gun specific details.
All we need to provide is caliber and genuine reason.
Not sure how they're registered in other states, but registered by category here, comes in handy if you change your mind after submitting the pta :lol:
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by AlHow » 06 Mar 2023, 11:07 am

In Victoria if you are applying for a gun license, you make the application to acquire a firearm at the same time. This then covers the stupid 28 cool off period.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by VK3 » 11 Mar 2023, 3:03 pm

Hi all,

Cheers for the above replies!

Just another quick question - I received an email from VicPol LRD advising that they could not match my caliber request on their system and to reply with the correct caliber via email; I requested 30-06.

Can anyone advise of the correct caliber? I replied via email with 3006 (2 weeks ago) and am yet to hear anything back; today I spoke with my local gun shop and they advised it could be a number of variations; 30-06 Spring; 3006 SPG, 3006 Spring.. etc.

Anyone able to advise what the correct Vic PTA request is for a 30-06?

Cheers!
VK3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Mar 2023, 5:15 pm

VK3 wrote:Hi all,

Cheers for the above replies!

Just another quick question - I received an email from VicPol LRD advising that they could not match my caliber request on their system and to reply with the correct caliber via email; I requested 30-06.

Can anyone advise of the correct caliber? I replied via email with 3006 (2 weeks ago) and am yet to hear anything back; today I spoke with my local gun shop and they advised it could be a number of variations; 30-06 Spring; 3006 SPG, 3006 Spring.. etc.

Anyone able to advise what the correct Vic PTA request is for a 30-06?

Cheers!

On the application it does say to fill out the calibre in full, once this wasn't an issue as the data entry people knew what you actually meant but now the data entry people have the brain power of a whitebait so you must use "their" terminology. LRD use 30-06SPRG on their Registration Certificate, I reccomend you do the same, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 11 Mar 2023, 9:14 pm

30-06 Springfield or 30-06SPRG or 7.62 x 63mm
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 11 Mar 2023, 10:02 pm

This confusion arises because the numpties who devise this bureaucracy insist on using the term 'calibre', when what they're really asking is cartridge designation.
How f^king hard does it have to be?
For a 30-06 the correct answer to their specific question is .30cal. But that would be too easy, wouldn't it.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2023, 6:24 am

No1_49er wrote:This confusion arises because the numpties who devise this bureaucracy insist on using the term 'calibre', when what they're really asking is cartridge designation.
How f^king hard does it have to be?
For a 30-06 the correct answer to their specific question is .30cal. But that would be too easy, wouldn't it.

Must be getting done by a bunch of knuckle draggers front ancient Africa.

Knuckle dragger.jpg
Knuckle dragger.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by VK3 » 12 Mar 2023, 7:09 am

On the application it does say to fill out the calibre in full, once this wasn't an issue as the data entry people knew what you actually meant but now the data entry people have the brain power of a whitebait so you must use "their" terminology. LRD use 30-06SPRG on their Registration Certificate, I reccomend you do the same, Cheers

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

I've emailed VicPol LRD again requesting the PTA permit be issued for 30-06SPRG. Hopefully they accept this email request (again) and issue the PTA. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be waiting another 28 days.

Cheers all!
VK3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws