What to sell?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What to sell?

Post by Rathie » 06 Mar 2023, 8:22 am

Morning most lovely people,

Finally in a position to buy the ‘shorter range’ mild cartridge rifle for the Fox, goat, pig, fallow on my Tenterfield block. Max range 150m

Minister for Finance (and reality of time, space, money etc etc) means I’ll have to let a couple go.

I’m seriously looking a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel.

Think it will go with 22lr, 222 and 20 gauge quite nicely. Will let the 22 Hornet and 6mmTCU go.

Anyone had experience of selling via dealer consignment? How does that work, cost and was it a good experience?

Thanks all, iain
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: What to sell?

Post by deye243 » 06 Mar 2023, 11:55 am

At $4 a shot and that's just for the cheap stuff I hope you are reloading for a grendel I would be looking for something cheaper to feed and as for selling for a dealer you are going to feel like you have been bent over and violated some consignment fees depending on where you are can be up to 20% used guns can be your friend .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rathie » 06 Mar 2023, 12:40 pm

Thanks 243,

I reload mate so cost is not a major concern.

Don’t like being bent over - ozgunsales it is
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 06 Mar 2023, 2:00 pm

I had a Howa in 6.5 Grendel. Good rifle, but ammo was a killer, and I don’t reload. Not always on the shelf and I used to have to order it in.
Sold it for a Ruger American Compact in 243, much happier now, should have bought one in the first place.
But if that’s what you really want, go for it, especially if you reload.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 06 Mar 2023, 2:18 pm

Rathie wrote:Thanks 243,

I reload mate so cost is not a major concern.

Don’t like being bent over - ozgunsales it is

I have often thought about a Grendel as the calibre intrigues me and I like long range but it will have to wait another interest is soaking up a lot of my money at the moment.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Mar 2023, 3:23 pm

Shootermick wrote:I had a Howa in 6.5 Grendel. Good rifle, but ammo was a killer, and I don’t reload. Not always on the shelf and I used to have to order it in.
Sold it for a Ruger American Compact in 243, much happier now, should have bought one in the first place.
But if that’s what you really want, go for it, especially if you reload.

Yep 243 is popular for good reason
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 06 Mar 2023, 3:24 pm

Rathie wrote:Morning most lovely people,

Finally in a position to buy the ‘shorter range’ mild cartridge rifle for the Fox, goat, pig, fallow on my Tenterfield block. Max range 150m

Minister for Finance (and reality of time, space, money etc etc) means I’ll have to let a couple go.

I’m seriously looking a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel.

Think it will go with 22lr, 222 and 20 gauge quite nicely. Will let the 22 Hornet and 6mmTCU go.

Anyone had experience of selling via dealer consignment? How does that work, cost and was it a good experience?

Thanks all, iain

hey mate , i spent a bit of time hunting around tenterfeild , mainly up on Mt mackenzie .i know it's not a "mild, mid range caliber", but a 243 would fit the bill for you . i used to take a 6.5 swede down there, that was enough for anything in that area . 243 will give you reach , those goats are real good at keeping their distance in that high country if they see you first ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rathie » 06 Mar 2023, 7:41 pm

Had a Rem 700 in 243 many moons ago. Never had to shoot a pig twice.

Have bow hunted goats around Tenterfield for 20 years and don’t mind a stalk. Not after numbers. The thrill of the hunt and a tasty stew is the goal.

Too many choices for a bloke that suffers analysis paralysis.

Cheers for all your input- may take a run out west and check out the Howa Grendel.
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Peterwho » 06 Mar 2023, 8:24 pm

Re your question of dealer consignment, I have used Magnum Sports in Roseville Sydney and glad to recommend them. Very cost effective and nothing like 20%. Might be a bit of a stroll from Tenterfield if you don’t need to come to Sydney though.

Regards

Peter
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 07 Mar 2023, 7:38 am

Is the 6 mm tcu already legal and effective on fallow ? Perhaps not sell or buy anything. Buy your wife a few new dresses and take her to a nice restraunt instead ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 07 Mar 2023, 10:49 am

Im using a 6.5 grendel howa mini. I shoot goats and steel with it. I also hand load for it. Pays to anneal as it seems prone ro neck splits. Goid caliber and good rifle
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Mar 2023, 5:38 pm

Are you over working your necks when you resize? Use an expanded button? What brand of brass?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 07 Mar 2023, 8:34 pm

Rathie the Grendel idea is a good one, I've had 2 of the Howa minis, loved my 20 inch HB.

100gr BT's are gold on game at 2900fps :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 08 Mar 2023, 3:29 am

Collet die and hornady brass
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Mar 2023, 8:16 pm

Collet dies are kind to necks, Hornady brass is pretty ordinary. With quality brass that is annealed well you should get heaps of life out of them. I have had Lapua and Norma brass, not in Grendel, that have lasted over 30 reloads before the primer pocket got loose. No split necks. Betting if you used different brass, your problems would go away.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 10 Mar 2023, 7:13 am

Yea maybe but i got given 140 rounds of hornady so thats what im using
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand