What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Feb 2023, 2:36 pm

Cleaned out the wheelie bin. Some mongrel threw eggs in there the night before collection and the damn stuff was Stuck to the bottom. The water blaster wasn't much help.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Feb 2023, 4:46 pm

Went squidding with the missus,then collected a heap of peaches and some tomatoes from a mate with massive amounts of excess,then got out of the heat and watched Carnival Row.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2023, 9:33 am

Blr243 wrote:Ground paint of besser blocks in confined spaces prior to water proofing. Anyone keen to help me tomorrow?

Nah, I don't think so,,,,,,,,,,,, I spent all day yesterday on a jack hammer battling concrete.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Flyonline » 24 Feb 2023, 12:29 pm

bigpete wrote:Noice one. Slow cook him and he'll turn out alright.

Yep, or brined and slow roasted.

bigpete wrote:......Some pretty good snaps in there though

Indeed, wish I could justify a decent DSLR at some stage....

Oldbloke wrote::thumbsup: What a great day out.

Was hoping it was a vixen, but not to be. Always good when I go home and a feral doesn't :thumbsup:

Wm.Traynor wrote:That was a really good story and pics too, Flyonline :D

Thanks, they're just crappy phone photos though :(

Blr243 wrote:Ground paint of besser blocks in confined spaces prior to water proofing. Anyone keen to help me tomorrow?

Gotta couple of thousand hours under my belt in C/S, so no thanks :sarcasm:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pagun » 27 Feb 2023, 4:37 pm

got my vic and NSW "cull" licenses :DDDDDDDDD
Tikka t3x superlite aspire 308 / pard ds35 70lrf night vision.
Sulun tac-12 12 guage / hawke reflexdot.
CZ455 stainless american 22lr / pard ds35 50lrf night vision.
Hikmicro LE10 Thermal handheld
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Mar 2023, 1:36 pm

Went into town today to get steel to make some big targets for .303 practice. The 600yd target is a six-foot by five-foot board, and I think the 700yd target is an eight-foot by six-foot board, so I figured .5mm galv sheet steel would be the lightest and most weather resistant material to make those out of. I just need to frame them and paint the "tin hat" and scoring rings on them.

I spotted some post flange plates on a shelf. These are 203mm square plates with a hole already drilled in each corner, in 8mm, 10mm and 12mm. I asked the price and I think she said $13 for the 8mm so I grabbed a couple for testing. If these stand up to high-velocity bullets at about 400m they'd be very cheap gongs I reckon. I'll have to make a stand but I'll try testing them and see how they stack up and at what minimum ranges they can be shot without damaging them.
Attachments
20230301_142243b.jpg
20230301_142243b.jpg (328.96 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
20230301_142249b.jpg
20230301_142249b.jpg (300.39 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Mar 2023, 3:52 pm

Did some reloading with a difference today. First change for 20 years since I bought an Ultrasonic. After noticing variations in the effort to seat bullets, I wondered about the effect on group size. For Donkeys Years I have had a small quantity of MoS2 and today it was painted on to the bullet shanks, before seating. A mandrel-type die for resizing the necks was also considered but was rejected for now, in favour of this cheap option. I have used it on 223 necks previously and that rifle was accurate.

One day there will be a chance to try them out out.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 12:58 pm

Took my lad out for an unsuccessful but enjoyable hunt,then spent an hour teaching him to throw with an atlatl.
Screenshot_20230304-132736_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230304-132736_Gallery.jpg (458.34 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 04 Mar 2023, 2:28 pm

bigpete wrote:Took my lad out for an unsuccessful but enjoyable hunt,then spent an hour teaching him to throw with an atlatl.

Fun times! What distance do you get with those things?

Went and hung a game camera yesterday, hopefully start picking up some fallow before the rut - not sure I'll get to see much of it as I'm expecting to get smashed this harvest. Still short and sweet is better than long and protracted :thumbsup: I'm not exactly sure of the density of fallow here, part of the reason for putting it up. Might even get a shot of one of the minimum 2 white bucks I've seen around.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 3:12 pm

Flyonline wrote:
bigpete wrote:Took my lad out for an unsuccessful but enjoyable hunt,then spent an hour teaching him to throw with an atlatl.

Fun times! What distance do you get with those things?

Went and hung a game camera yesterday, hopefully start picking up some fallow before the rut - not sure I'll get to see much of it as I'm expecting to get smashed this harvest. Still short and sweet is better than long and protracted :thumbsup: I'm not exactly sure of the density of fallow here, part of the reason for putting it up. Might even get a shot of one of the minimum 2 white bucks I've seen around.

In the past I've got them out to 80m but the ones we were using today I could only get to 50m. Accuracy for me is around 15m tops but that's more because I can't practice from any further
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Mar 2023, 3:40 pm

Went to Shepparton Arms & Militaria Fair, new venue was much smaller, leaving little room in the aisles but still got around OK. Found a mag that might fit my KNIL Luger, bought a set of List of Changes covering 1814 to 1926 from Ian Skennerton. Typical Shepparton, lots of military rifles and militaria, good range of sporting rifles and shotguns, good to get out of Melbourne.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Mar 2023, 3:45 pm

I would have loved that when I was a kid, Big Pete :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Flyonline » 04 Mar 2023, 6:14 pm

bigpete wrote:In the past I've got them out to 80m but the ones we were using today I could only get to 50m. Accuracy for me is around 15m tops but that's more because I can't practice from any further

:thumbsup: Still further than I was thinking!

Finished up a safari sling V2 today, though I'm thinking I might add a ching sling type loop as I can't seem to get a good wrap around my forearm for extra stability. Played around with my new(ish) hard case foam so I can now carry everything in the case (locked box for bullets, boresnake, tape, earplugs etc.) and not forget anything.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 7:39 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I would have loved that when I was a kid, Big Pete :D

I started mucking around with them when I was around 10 after reading a book called Fire Hunter. I then picked it up again about 7 or 8 years ago and actually started practising a fair bit. I've speared many carp with it,but so far haven't tried it on land animals apart from rabbits,which are just a bit too quick for me lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Mar 2023, 7:53 pm

Flyonline wrote:
bigpete wrote:In the past I've got them out to 80m but the ones we were using today I could only get to 50m. Accuracy for me is around 15m tops but that's more because I can't practice from any further

:thumbsup: Still further than I was thinking!

Finished up a safari sling V2 today, though I'm thinking I might add a ching sling type loop as I can't seem to get a good wrap around my forearm for extra stability. Played around with my new(ish) hard case foam so I can now carry everything in the case (locked box for bullets, boresnake, tape, earplugs etc.) and not forget anything.

That's the down side of the safari sling. All my centrefires are set up with them.
How will you convert it to a ching sling?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Mar 2023, 6:09 pm

Screenshot_20230308-183300_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230308-183300_Gallery.jpg (622.23 KiB) Viewed 2781 times

After hearing that there was a pretty decent school of mullet working the shore locally, decided to take the little lady fishing tonight. Caught no mullet,but she did manage to catch this decent sized catfish,something I've never seen caught down here in my entire life. She also managed to get spiked by it too lol. Shouldn't laugh,its pretty painful by all accounts.
Screenshot_20230308-183651_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230308-183651_Gallery.jpg (321.33 KiB) Viewed 2781 times

Also went for a drive and found all these baby carp and bony bream left behind after the high tides the last couple of nights. Actually quite surprising there not more carrion eaters there,plenty of food for them.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 08 Mar 2023, 6:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
That's the down side of the safari sling. All my centrefires are set up with them.
How will you convert it to a ching sling?

I've got a couple of ideas, but I'll have a play before I report back. My old man has an industrial strength sewing machine in case I need to get through 4 layers of webbing etc. Thinking I'll re-do my padding at the same time as it was ok, but could be better.

Finished up a stack of figs and nectarines I've been drying the last couple of days, always good to have a few vac pouches in the pack for a snack out bush and they last forever :thumbsup:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2023, 7:05 pm

bigpete wrote:

After hearing that there was a pretty decent school of mullet working the shore locally, decided to take the little lady fishing tonight. Caught no mullet,but she did manage to catch this decent sized catfish

Looks like a sand flat head to me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Mar 2023, 8:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:

After hearing that there was a pretty decent school of mullet working the shore locally, decided to take the little lady fishing tonight. Caught no mullet,but she did manage to catch this decent sized catfish

Looks like a sand flat head to me.

You'd better get your eyes checked then.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2023, 9:11 pm

Take better photo's. :violin: :lol:

And a good tradesman never blames his tools.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Mar 2023, 5:05 am

Oldbloke wrote:Take better photo's. :violin: :lol:

And a good tradesman never blames his tools.

Maybe trust my word on it,or zoom in a little so you can see the whiskers around its mouth...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 09 Mar 2023, 7:45 am

I reckon you might have been distracted OB ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2023, 8:48 am

bigpete wrote:I reckon you might have been distracted OB ;)

Aha,,,, now that I'm looking more closely at the fish head I see the whiskers. Didn't see them previously. Must have been the way my right eye kept moving off target. ;)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 10 Mar 2023, 10:24 am

We keep having waves of warmer weather and snow. Got six inches the other day and most of it has now melted. Two more storms are coming, one might dump over a foot of snow.

I've been very busy with Youtube. A lot of people like the Youtube Shorts, so I will be doing more specifically filmed shorts in the future. Right now I have a bunch of new videos out, starting a 300 Blackout subsonic video series, doing another 32 ACP load, polishing pistol feed ramps, wet tumbling 300 Blackout brass and also did a long video debunking the Glock Bulge internet hysteria. Also did a video on why .380 Auto sucks and an undercarriage pressure washing system.

Also have a bunch of videos to do for rural property security. I have written out of a pretty good synopsis of two pages of what I want to do, but trying to figure out how to film it of whether making one or two long videos or a bunch of small ones.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 3:32 pm

Bought some copper pipe and compression fittings to install a new tap as I recently fitted two new Hoselink reels .
As usual Bunnings did not have everything I needed and the store was as hot as hell . Service in the store part is atrocious and staff standing around in groups chatting . Isle 75 Plumbing fittings was a complete mess and whomever is responsible for that area needs the sack . Service in the trade area was great and they even carried the copper pipe to the car Went to Reece plumbing and got the extra fittings I needed , air-conditioned shop , quick service and gave me a discount .
Bunnings has a new manager up from Sydney and he is ruining the store. They put this retarded guy on the trade boomgate and he is useless makes a game out of opening and closing the boom gate to annoy everyone . I will not take my car into the trade area anymore because of this mental case . I am kinda over Bunnings and it's worth a bit extra money to shop elsewhere when I can .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 3:38 pm

Double Post
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Mar 2023, 8:58 pm

JohnV wrote:Bought some copper pipe and compression fittings to install a new tap as I recently fitted two new Hoselink reels .
As usual Bunnings did not have everything I needed,,,,,,,,,
I am kinda over Bunnings and it's worth a bit extra money to shop elsewhere when I can .

The big challenge in Bunnings is to find something NOT made in China. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2023, 9:49 pm

Finally managed to actually get out to my mate's place for some .303 practice this arvo. Got the targets set up at 300yd and 500yd, set up the firing position, had the 5rd charger in my hand...and life stepped in :-)
Didn't get any shooting in at all, but going back tomorrow! It was a shame as we actually had virtually no wind this arvo, compared to the 25mph+ of the last few days. I have been doing a lot of shooting with the .22's though including in some very heavy winds, which has been educational. Putting .22's onto steel gongs at 200m with a one-metre wind hold is not all that easy.

I let myself down at the LERAA shoot by not having my sight settings nailed down. With the competition rifle it's no issue as you can make simple half-minute adjustments from your sighting shots. The SMLE sight doesn't offer such adjustment. You need a degree of familiarity with the trajectory curve so you can estimate the nearest 25yd position on the sight. The guesses I made were close enough to get me decent scores, but whether shooting paper, steel or live targets you really should never be relying on guesswork.

To take a Ruger .22LR to NSW I swapped a fixed buffer tube and stock onto the Ruger American Target, which makes the length of pull enormous - 395mm. So I also swapped the Tactacam across to it as it eats about 25mm into your eye relief, which isn't an issue on the .22LR, but might be when I swap it onto some of my centrefires. Using the adjustable mount I have it zeroed at 200m (about 400mm high at 50m) at the bottom of the turret, so should be able to stretch out to about 550m on the turret at full-zoom, winding the zoom back to 9-power should push me past 600m.
20230305_183456b.jpg
20230305_183456b.jpg (460.08 KiB) Viewed 2692 times

When LERAA said they were doing the Martini shoot during the week (it only became official today) I dropped into my dealer to see if he had anything. He has a pair of Cadets in .310 and .22LR. Very pretty but I don't think I'm interested enough to grab them. The week prior to the shoot I may be regretting it but they have rifles I can borrow if I decide to try it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 11 Mar 2023, 5:52 am

bigpete wrote:
cz515 wrote:It's raining now... and I sprayed weed killer about 1.5hrs ago.

Time to get into bed and goto sleep I think

Depending on what you used,you should be fine

If you add a spreading agent like a dash of white oil ( soluble oil ) into the mix it speeds up the poisoning action and gives some waterproofing. Don't know what volume of spray you are talking about but just a teaspoon full in a 5 liter bottle and shake well , will do the trick .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 11 Mar 2023, 6:01 am

Not keen on the concrete or conglomerate rear bag Lol
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

PreviousNext