Bergara BA 13

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Bergara BA 13

Post by Shootermick » 21 Feb 2023, 4:45 pm

I’m looking at getting a single shot 223.
I see some new 223 Bergara BA 13’s in stock, and I’m tossing up between one of them, or a used H&R.
Anyone had one of either? How do they stack up?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Bergara BA 13

Post by JohnV » 09 Mar 2023, 7:04 pm

I can't help much as I have never owned or worked on any of those guns but I see that the Bergara 13 is advertised as having a Weaver type scope rail . If the slot specs are truly Weaver spec and not Picatinny then you can have trouble fitting Picatinny spec rings into the slots . If that happens you will need to either send the gun and rail to a smith to mill the slots out a touch more . I would just send the rail . Sometimes it's ok because they call it a Weaver rail but in fact it's Picatinny specs anyway .
Weaver rings can fix the issue but Weaver rings in general are crap .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 09 Mar 2023, 7:27 pm

JohnV wrote:I can't help much as I have never owned or worked on any of those guns but I see that the Bergara 13 is advertised as having a Weaver type scope rail . If the slot specs are truly Weaver spec and not Picatinny then you can have trouble fitting Picatinny spec rings into the slots . If that happens you will need to either send the gun and rail to a smith to mill the slots out a touch more . I would just send the rail . Sometimes it's ok because they call it a Weaver rail but in fact it's Picatinny specs anyway .
Weaver rings can fix the issue but Weaver rings in general are crap .
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 09 Mar 2023, 7:30 pm

I’ve bought the Bergara. But, yep, apparently it’s a weaver rail. Haven’t got the rifle yet though. I might have to buy a pic rail for it. Oversight on my behalf. But I can get one through Herron.
Are weaver rails/rings really that bad?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2023, 8:33 pm

Shootermick wrote:I’ve bought the Bergara. But, yep, apparently it’s a weaver rail. Haven’t got the rifle yet though. I might have to buy a pic rail for it. Oversight on my behalf. But I can get one through Herron.

I have a Weaver side mount and rings for the Win94, and I initially bought the two-piece Weaver rails for my first Ruger American, but very quickly replaced them with a one-piece pic rail. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy Weaver stuff but you can make it work if you have to. I would replace it if possible with pic. With pic the grooves are consistent so you can take a scope off one rail and know it'll fit straight onto another pic rail. You can also move the complete scope along the rail if you need to and it'll fit anywhere.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 09 Mar 2023, 8:46 pm

Shootermick wrote:I’ve bought the Bergara. But, yep, apparently it’s a weaver rail. Haven’t got the rifle yet though. I might have to buy a pic rail for it. Oversight on my behalf. But I can get one through Herron.

Hey Mick Ive got a spare Durasight all in 1 base and rings if your interested, it came off my CVA scout, wasnt suited to the recoil.

Pretty sure the its a perfect match as I'm now running the Bergara Steel Pic rail ( cost me $175).

$40 posted if your interested
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 8:54 am

Check the rail screw spacing's I think Bergara use Rem 700 specs .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 8:59 am

Just take the rail to a Smith or machine shop and open up the slots to .210 .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by straightshooter » 10 Mar 2023, 11:46 am

Even simpler.
A lot of so called picatinny rings are actually made to Weaver dimensions, most often those budget units originating from the workshop of the world.
Try your rings first before doing anything dramatic or expensive.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 10 Mar 2023, 12:50 pm

straightshooter wrote:Even simpler.
A lot of so called picatinny rings are actually made to Weaver dimensions, most often those budget units originating from the workshop of the world.
Try your rings first before doing anything dramatic or expensive.

It’s advertised as having a “weaver type rail”
Whatever that means.?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 3:03 pm

It's obvious to try the rings of choice first as they may fit ok but if they don't it's no big drama to machine the slots out a bit . Hell you could even file out the back face of the slot in an emergency . Don't touch the front face as that's the recoil surface . On a centerfire the scope moves forward under recoil .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Fionn » 10 Mar 2023, 7:18 pm

My Bergara BA 13 came new with what is called a “weaver type rail” but the slot size is 5.2mm and the spacing of the recoil groove centres is 10mm.

So its really a picatinny rail.

Make sure you locktight the rail screws as they are know to come loose.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 11 Mar 2023, 6:12 am

Fionn wrote:My Bergara BA 13 came new with what is called a “weaver type rail” but the slot size is 5.2mm and the spacing of the recoil groove centres is 10mm.

So its really a picatinny rail.

Make sure you locktight the rail screws as they are know to come loose.

It's as I suspected but It's still a few thou under the average Picatinny slot but it should be fine .
Don't use the highest strength loktite use 243 .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 11 Mar 2023, 7:12 am

I think the rail will be removed now anyway. Probably going to go with a one piece scope mount.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 11 Mar 2023, 7:24 am

It's probably on spec for a Picatinny, it's more my rough measuring with a scope on already.

It's certainly not weaver spacing.

I have picatinny rings on my one and they fit perfectly.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 11 Mar 2023, 7:26 am

The CVA one piece scope mount would fit.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 12 Mar 2023, 5:30 am

Shootermick wrote:I think the rail will be removed now anyway. Probably going to go with a one piece scope mount.

Don't go with a one piece scope mount it can restrict your eye relief and scope position options . The rail is the best most flexible option and if you get Quick detachable rings the scope can come off and on easily to maybe fit other sights like NV or Red dot etc. I wish I had a Picatinny rail on every rifle . You are rushing ahead and making mistakes slow down .
Last edited by JohnV on 12 Mar 2023, 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 12 Mar 2023, 5:31 am

Fionn wrote:It's probably on spec for a Picatinny, it's more my rough measuring with a scope on already.

It's certainly not weaver spacing.

I have picatinny rings on my one and they fit perfectly.

You are probably right .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 12 Mar 2023, 4:56 pm

JohnV wrote:
Shootermick wrote:I think the rail will be removed now anyway. Probably going to go with a one piece scope mount.

Don't go with a one piece scope mount it can restrict your eye relief and scope position options . The rail is the best most flexible option and if you get Quick detachable rings the scope can come off and on easily to maybe fit other sights like NV or Red dot etc. I wish I had a Picatinny rail on every rifle . You are rushing ahead and making mistakes slow down .

That’s a couple of good points you make. I’ll have the rail it comes with and the one piece mount, so I’ll make a decision when the rifle turns up as to which one I use. I highly doubt I’ll change optics once I decide which scope to go with. All my scopes are variable, and I’m thinking about a fixed 6x for this one, keeping the whole rifle nice and simple. But I’m not too sure what the cons are with a fixed power. Keeping in mind that I’ve already got a Lithgow with a Meopta 6-18x50.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2023, 6:10 pm

Fixed scopes have fewer lenses than variables.

So,,,
Slightly lighter
Slightly better light transmission.
No moving parts.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 12 Mar 2023, 7:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Fixed scopes have fewer lenses than variables.

So,,,
Slightly lighter
No moving parts.

Yep. Just not many around to choose from though.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 13 Mar 2023, 9:22 am

Shootermick wrote:
JohnV wrote:

That’s a couple of good points you make. I’ll have the rail it comes with and the one piece mount, so I’ll make a decision when the rifle turns up as to which one I use. I highly doubt I’ll change optics once I decide which scope to go with. All my scopes are variable, and I’m thinking about a fixed 6x for this one, keeping the whole rifle nice and simple. But I’m not too sure what the cons are with a fixed power. Keeping in mind that I’ve already got a Lithgow with a Meopta 6-18x50.

OK you have some options which is good . I also thought that way that I would never have to change a scope then the sling stud came out and my rifle fell backwards onto rocks damaging the scope . I then worked on getting a few back up scopes and some in rings ready to slip on . A Hakko scope went faulty on me once the backup scope saved that trip 1000 ks away from home . Also had a Leupold go bad and it took many months of sending it back three times to eventually get a new scope and a backup scope saved that day also . Being able to take the scope off and slip on another sight system or even just use the open sights easily without tools is a handy option , zero holding issues aside .
I like cam lock QD mounts like ARMS they return to zero better than Claw mounts do . However cam lock usually requires a mill spec rail of a good matching width where as a Claw mount can clamp up on varying width rails .
Fixed power scopes can be brighter and don't suffer point of impact changes with power changes like some variables can , especially if they are mounted in a bind bending the scope tube . A fixed power like 8 or 12 on a spotlighting rifle works fine .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Mar 2023, 12:17 pm

Shootermick wrote:

So,,,
Slightly lighter
No moving parts.

Yes, I've noticed that for 6 or 7 years now.
Perhaps used guns?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 13 Mar 2023, 2:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

So,,,
Slightly lighter
No moving parts.

Perhaps used guns?

Not much on there either. More than likely end up with a 4-12 unless something pops up.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Mar 2023, 5:53 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

So,,,
Slightly lighter
No moving parts.

Perhaps used guns?

Not much on there either. More than likely end up with a 4-12 unless something pops up.

That would suit a farm I reckon
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 24 Mar 2023, 6:59 pm

BA8ED376-3E8B-42A7-9D48-FC2948DF4AE1.jpeg
BA8ED376-3E8B-42A7-9D48-FC2948DF4AE1.jpeg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 2396 times

Picked up my BA13 223 this week. Durasight one piece mount with a Vixen 3-12x40. Sighted it in this afternoon, 1” at 100. Extremely happy with the whole set up. Just what I was after.
Attachments
DE61402E-DF3B-4725-AD76-159D1DE5B960.jpeg
DE61402E-DF3B-4725-AD76-159D1DE5B960.jpeg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 24 Mar 2023, 7:43 pm

Mick looks like a good result, not too low so you cant get your thumb under the ocular and onto the hammer :drinks:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 24 Mar 2023, 7:52 pm

Billo wrote:Mick looks like a good result, not too low so you cant get your thumb under the ocular and onto the hammer :drinks:

They have side hammer extensions anyway.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 24 Mar 2023, 7:59 pm

Fionn wrote:
Billo wrote:Mick looks like a good result, not too low so you cant get your thumb under the ocular and onto the hammer :drinks:

yes they do but and they come with the rifle, but they are prone to breaking...... :lol:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 24 Mar 2023, 8:13 pm

Billo wrote:
Fionn wrote:

yes they do but and they come with the rifle, but they are prone to breaking...... :lol:

Not on BA13's that I am aware off, well unless you don't know they are a left handed thread when trying to change the side. :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles