Collectors licence after leaving pistol club?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Collectors licence after leaving pistol club?

Post by Bundy » 16 Feb 2023, 4:23 pm

when you leave a pistol Club is there any type of Collectors licence you can get to keep your firearms?
Bundy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Collectors licence after leaving pistol club?

Post by bladeracer » 05 Mar 2023, 8:33 am

Bundy wrote:when you leave a pistol Club is there any type of Collectors licence you can get to keep your firearms?

There are collector clubs but it can be time consuming to qualify as a collector before you're allowed to own firearms. Your own club should be able to able to direct you to a collector club who can explain the process. I think you need to be a member for a while before you can apply for a collector's licence, and you can only use the firearms at collector club events, you can't roll up to a pistol club and do a conventional competition shoot or an informal practice afternoon.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 15 Mar 2023, 1:04 pm

That's not really the point of a collectors licence. I suspect you may be able to argue a collectors for investment vaule. The other categories are thematic, historic and commemorative. You won't be able to shoot any firearms on a collectors licence and you're storage requirements go up.

There is an heirloom licence, that needs to be passed to you from an estate or will from someone who has died. So not really relevant in this case
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2023, 2:05 pm

yoshie wrote:That's not really the point of a collectors licence. I suspect you may be able to argue a collectors for investment vaule. The other categories are thematic, historic and commemorative. You won't be able to shoot any firearms on a collectors licence and you're storage requirements go up.

There is an heirloom licence, that needs to be passed to you from an estate or will from someone who has died. So not really relevant in this case

I thought only WA prohibits using collector licence firearms, other states only restrict them to collector club shoots.

The heirloom licence does require deactivating the firearm making it just an aesthetic memory. Better to give it a licenced person that will still let you come and use it occasionally.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Mar 2023, 4:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bundy wrote:when you leave a pistol Club is there any type of Collectors licence you can get to keep your firearms?

There are collector clubs but it can be time consuming to qualify as a collector before you're allowed to own firearms. Your own club should be able to able to direct you to a collector club who can explain the process. I think you need to be a member for a while before you can apply for a collector's licence, and you can only use the firearms at collector club events, you can't roll up to a pistol club and do a conventional competition shoot or an informal practice afternoon.

This generally covers your question Bundy, but you must have your Collectors Licence before you leave your pistol club or you will need to dispose of your firearms to a friendly dealer who will hold them until you get the appropriate licence. If your handguns were made on after 1947 this could be many months as the Authorized Officer needs to declare that you have a "prolonged and genuine interest" before your licence can be endorsed with Qld CH5 Category, for some Clubs this could be 12 months.. You are not permitted to own ammunition for your collectibles unless you have another licence, ie: CatA/B etc which enables that calibre. One Collectors Club I know of in Qld has 2 Permit shoots per year, I am not aware of what other Clubs do. On top of all this you are not permitted to remove your firearms from the place of storage except under a lawful purpose ie: take to gundealer for sale or repair, attend an Arms Fair under Permit etc.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 15 Mar 2023, 10:52 pm

A QLD collectors license requires the firearms to be in line with a particular 'theme' and each PTA needs to justify how a particular firearm is collectable to you and fits with that theme, it's also particularly difficult to get modern firearms as a new collector.

It also takes about twice as long as normal license and PTA applications so if you have just left (or been expelled from) your current pistol club then your firearms will need to go into storage for the next year or two and you may or may not ever get to have them back.

There might be better options if you can elaborate on why you are leaving the club and why you still want access to handguns if you are not using them for sporting competitions.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 16 Mar 2023, 4:21 pm

I've got a 'historical' collectors licence and have a few per 47 pistols and one post 47. The post 47 took 11 months to get approval and then it was only granted because it was the next pistol in a sequence. I'm unsure on collectors licences for thematic and investment reason. I suspect the only way you'll be able to keep them is for investment vaule but even then I don't like your chances. I know a gun who collects commemorative winchester rifles. He has them on a collectors licence as it is cheaper than a cat A/B and the SSAA membership and he's not going to shoot them. I don't know how you would convince licensing that your eclectic pistol collection is suitable to be moved to a collectors licence rather than a concealable target cat H.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers