Contract shooting questions

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Contract shooting questions

Post by sammydays » 13 Mar 2023, 5:04 pm

Hi Guys ,
I want to start a contract shooting/trapping business as a side job when Im home from my main job. I have a few properties that are getting swamped by wild dogs and foxes . Do I need to get Verterbrate Pest Control as a genuine reason or is that only for people that want Cat D firearms and suppressors ?

Can I get contracts and charge money for shooting services under a Recreational/Vermin Control Genuine Reason ? Then I could get contracts, references and invoices to support a Cat D eventually. Seems logical but I know NSW firearms laws rarely are haha . Just thought Id ask .Thanks for your help guys !
sammydays
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Contract shooting questions

Post by Blr243 » 16 Mar 2023, 6:39 pm

Non qualified carpenters can charge money to anyone willing to employ them regardless of their paper qualifications and licence . I suspect you can charge money for your services to anyone who believes in you
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2023, 6:54 pm

Blr243 wrote:Non qualified carpenters can charge money to anyone willing to employ them regardless of their paper qualifications and licence . I suspect you can charge money for your services to anyone who believes in you

There's a licence for carpenters in Qld?

As far as I'm aware if a farmer is happy to pay you to shoot/trap on their property, and there are specific terms regarding how you go about it - ie, you're not just enjoying some recreational shooting in your own time - then that's a business contract. You might require specific insurances perhaps, and Work Cover if you're employing somebody else, the usual things that come with operating a business venture. Following BLR243's analogy, a carpenter that has no formal qualifications still has to abide by all the relevant business, employment, contract and tax laws.

I don't know about having pest control on your licence, but I suspect that is a proviso for employment situations as opposed to owning firearms for reasons of pleasure or sport.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 16 Mar 2023, 7:10 pm

Not sure about NSW laws but I think anyone can do contract shooting there.
You definitely need insurances though. And some States have different rules for vehicle licencing too for personal or work use
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2023, 8:16 pm

animalpest wrote:Not sure about NSW laws but I think anyone can do contract shooting there.
You definitely need insurances though. And some States have different rules for vehicle licencing too for personal or work use

Yep. And workcover varies in each state. Speak to a good accountant.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 16 Mar 2023, 8:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
animalpest wrote:Not sure about NSW laws but I think anyone can do contract shooting there.

Yep. And workcover varies in each state. Speak to a good accountant.

Trapping and hunting category for workers comp insurance one of the highest!
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control