AR15 Magazines into Australia?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

AR15 Magazines into Australia?

Post by S O K A R » 03 May 2023, 3:53 pm

Have some friends in the states that are willing to buy/send over some pmag's
Seen them over here for the most part $150 and up, can pick them up there for as little as $15-20 so seems like a no brainer...

Other then the paperwork to get it through customs, any other issues I might run in to?
I know the words ar15 strike fear into the hearts of men, but should be a fairly straight forward process?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: AR15 Magazines into Australia?

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2023, 4:00 pm

S O K A R wrote:Have some friends in the states that are willing to buy/send over some pmag's
Seen them over here for the most part $150 and up, can pick them up there for as little as $15-20 so seems like a no brainer...

Other then the paperwork to get it through customs, any other issues I might run in to?
I know the words ar15 strike fear into the hearts of men, but should be a fairly straight forward process?

You need a B709 import permit for mags, if the Police give you the permit you could probably get them. In most states they also require CatD licence or collectors/armourers licence if they're over 10rd capacity.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 04 May 2023, 7:11 am

bladeracer wrote:
S O K A R wrote:Have some friends in the states that are willing to buy/send over some pmag's

You need a B709 import permit for mags, if the Police give you the permit you could probably get them. In most states they also require CatD licence or collectors/armourers licence if they're over 10rd capacity.

I was looking at getting the 15 round mags (Cat B straight pulls/bolt guns are allowed to have 15 round capacity here, 10 rounds for pump/lever from memory)
Or is that a thing with customs rather then individual states?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Larry » 04 May 2023, 8:22 am

Border force seized the ones I tried to bring in. The package was labeled properly and correctly and probably attracted attention. If you have a friend send them perhaps go covert?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2023, 12:33 pm

Larry wrote:Border force seized the ones I tried to bring in. The package was labeled properly and correctly and probably attracted attention. If you have a friend send them perhaps go covert?

I would never suggest this to any friend of mine...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2023, 12:35 pm

S O K A R wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I was looking at getting the 15 round mags (Cat B straight pulls/bolt guns are allowed to have 15 round capacity here, 10 rounds for pump/lever from memory)
Or is that a thing with customs rather then individual states?

Okay, Qld also has 15rd for bolt-action rifles only.
As I said, if you already have a B709 for the 15rd mags then you should be able to import them okay. If you can order through Bronells.com.au then they already have import permits in place. If you can order 15rd mags from other states just using your licence then Brownells can supply to you as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 04 May 2023, 3:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Larry wrote:Border force seized the ones I tried to bring in. The package was labeled properly and correctly and probably attracted attention. If you have a friend send them perhaps go covert?

I knew this would be coming from someone. Not advising someone to break the law unknowingly but if you want to bring them in. Then illegal may be the only way. All I am saying is dont put in big letters Magpul 30 round magazines or any other gun part description.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2023, 5:27 pm

Larry wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I knew this would be coming from someone. Not advising someone to break the law unknowingly but if you want to bring them in. Then illegal may be the only way. All I am saying is dont put in big letters Magpul 30 round magazines or any other gun part description.

If you want to risk it yourself then go for it. I would not be asking a friend to put themselves in such a position. For me, there's a big difference there.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 May 2023, 6:22 pm

G'day SOKAR,
You will need more than a B709 to import the 15rnd magazine regardless of what you want to use it in or what your State approves. As the mag CAN be used in a semi-auto you will need an Attorney-General Permission to pass Border Force.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws