Power set up for camp

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Power set up for camp

Post by northdude » 16 May 2023, 3:06 pm

Been looking into portable power for a camp or hut. Not talking generator more along the lines of a power bank and say solar charging if its any good. Mainly for lighting but the ability to charge a phone or batteries for devices would be handy as well. Mainly drive to camps but packable would be good as well. What are we using thats good and whats a waste of time and money?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: Power set up for camp

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2023, 4:30 pm

northdude wrote:Been looking into portable power for a camp or hut. Not talking generator more along the lines of a power bank and say solar charging if its any good. Mainly for lighting but the ability to charge a phone or batteries for devices would be handy as well. Mainly drive to camps but packable would be good as well. What are we using thats good and whats a waste of time and money?

I just carry a solar power bank for charging, but I also carry spare batteries for any electrical gear, batteries do fail. I avoid moving around at night if possible but I carry several torches. I generally carry two torches all the time anyway so I just have some more in my Bush kit. Torches also fail.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2023, 4:43 pm

Solar and big car type batteries for me And i run things off my quad or ute too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2023, 4:44 pm

Solar and big car type batteries for me And i run things off my quad or ute too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 May 2023, 8:41 pm

100-120amphr deep cycle in a battery box. You get what you pay for in batteries. Wired through a cut off switch to the car battery. This will charge the battery using the car alternator. But protect the car batt from excessive discarge. But you may need a dc to dc charger too if its a fairly new car.
200w solar blanket you can plug into the deep cycle to charge whilst camped.

This style of box. Aldi had them last week, Cheap as chips.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/advent ... dkQAvD_BwE

This set up runs my 40ltr fridge and charges mobiles etc for me. Use anderson plugs and decent wire, not thin sh1t.

Solar shed lights are great to light up camp at night.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 21 May 2023, 6:01 pm

I use an ecoflow river pro battery pack. Lithium, 2 X 240 outlets (inverter) 600W max and charge plugs for all common phones/accessories built in. I use it to run Starlink RV system and laptop, and charge cameras and drone. Camper has 2 X 100ahr AGM and 160W solar charging and also run 2 X 100W solar panels. Ecoflow pack charges from 4by while driving, 240v or solar.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 24 May 2023, 6:43 am

If it is very low power devices I want to use. The coke can inverter from Jaycar works well for very small devices. I have taken that bush all over the world.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation