QLD - clarification on transport rules

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD - clarification on transport rules

Post by cuvy » 08 Oct 2014, 6:30 am

Hi,

Just wanted to get a clarification on transport rules in Queensland. I'm specifically asking about my situation with a dual cab ute - i've got the following questions:

- Can I transport firearms in gun bags, in the footwell of the rear passenger seats provided they are out of sight (eg under a rug) ?
- what about if I have one passenger in the rear - can I still transport in the rear seat (in gun bag, out of sight) ?
- if I need to transport them in the tray, am I correct that they need to be in a locked metal (not plastic) container that is secured to the tray ?
- what are the requirements for transporting ammunition? Locked metal box? out of sight?

Thanks
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: QLD - clarification on transport rules

Post by benn1124 » 09 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

hey,

im the same have a dual cab ute i normally transport mine in bags on the floor with the bolts removed and stored in the bags and with either a trigger lock or a cable lock for added safety, also iv had a passenger in the back when transporting im sure as long as they are out of site out of mind to on lookers it is fine but the more precautions you take the better just my oppinion, i normally carry my ammo in a locked ammo box either metal or plastic dont think it matters all that much, yes when in the tray the weapons must be in a locked secured metal box with the bolts removed.
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 09 Oct 2014, 4:41 pm

I was under the impression gun bags were out of sight.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Westy » 09 Oct 2014, 4:45 pm

One of my mates at silhouettes, Dave carries his on his back on his motorbike along the Gateway from Redcliff to Belmont and back. he has a letter from W.L.Q to say he has permission but I think most of the cops don't even know what's what here in Q.L.D. My take is bolt outta the rifle but in the same bag is A.O.K and ammo in a separate locked box. I always carry mine on the back seat when heading just up to the range but lock them in the tray box when out of the ute at the shops or where ever!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 10 Oct 2014, 3:13 pm

yoshie wrote:I was under the impression gun bags were out of sight.

I don't have the legislation handy but I thought the same.

If I recall correctly I've seen it written that firearms shouldn't be in reach if possible. e.g. if you have a boot, they shouldn't be on the back seat.

I can try and find it in writing tonight to confirm.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brisb » 10 Oct 2014, 3:18 pm

cuvy wrote:- Can I transport firearms in gun bags, in the footwell of the rear passenger seats provided they are out of sight (eg under a rug) ?
- what about if I have one passenger in the rear - can I still transport in the rear seat (in gun bag, out of sight) ?
- if I need to transport them in the tray, am I correct that they need to be in a locked metal (not plastic) container that is secured to the tray ?
- what are the requirements for transporting ammunition? Locked metal box? out of sight?

I've been pulled over in the dual-cab and sent on my way no problems with the following:

Rifle in bag, bolt out and in the side pocket.
Bag in the footwell in the back, not covered with a towel.
Padlock locked metal box for ammo.

No idea on transporting in the tray as I wouldn't do it (no locker in it).
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ozturtle » 10 Oct 2014, 5:29 pm

From the firearm safety course

Vehicles
If possible, firearm carry cases/boxes should be kept out of sight in the vehicle. When transporting a firearm by vehicle, the person in control of the firearm must ensure that if the vehicle has a lockable boot, the firearm is locked in the boot. For vehicles which do not have a boot such as a tray back utility, the firearm must be locked in a metal container. The metal container is to be fixed to the vehicle and must not suggest that there a firearm inside. Remember, ammunition must be stored separately from the firearm and transported in its box and secured.

But I think you would be right if they were out of sight, the real funny thing is by law you can't leave the firearms in the vehicle with an unlicensed person, so if you stop for fuel and you get out your supposed to make the miss and or kids get out too.

Just saying
ozturtle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by lapp » 13 Oct 2014, 5:35 pm

ozturtle wrote:the real funny thing is by law you can't leave the firearms in the vehicle with an unlicensed person, so if you stop for fuel and you get out your supposed to make the miss and or kids get out too.

Yeah what's up with that :(

Better to leave it in an unattended vehicle when you go off than with a trusted (but unlicensed) friend?

He's just minding it, not using it... :|
lapp
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Westy » 14 Oct 2014, 7:13 am

I'm going back to storing mine in the wardrobe!!!!!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Klem » 16 Oct 2014, 10:05 am

Under the bed? No one looks there right? :lol:
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by tofu » 20 Feb 2019, 3:19 pm

sorry to revive an old thread but couldnt find an answer or a newer thread...

so is it ok to travel to and from the range in a dual cab ute with the rifles in bags on back seat, bolt and ammo stored separately? qld police website info is not clear cut. it says "if the vehicle does not have a boot, locked in the vehicle out of sight"

does this mean locked in the vehicle or locked in a container in the vehicle...

have emailed WLB but it says they will get to my email in 28 days. just hoping someone already found out
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 20 Feb 2019, 4:11 pm

tofu wrote:sorry to revive an old thread but couldnt find an answer or a newer thread...

so is it ok to travel to and from the range in a dual cab ute with the rifles in bags on back seat, bolt and ammo stored separately? qld police website info is not clear cut. it says "if the vehicle does not have a boot, locked in the vehicle out of sight"

does this mean locked in the vehicle or locked in a container in the vehicle...

have emailed WLB but it says they will get to my email in 28 days. just hoping someone already found out

Gday tofu
Firearms must be in a locked section of the vehicle ie boot or cab. Doesn't need to be in locked container unless in the tray of a ute in which case the container must be secured to the vehicle.
So in a bag or hardcase in the cab/rear seat or boot is fine. I personally keep it out of sight in a bag under the rear seat or on the floor with a blanket over it so it's not visible to the casual passerby. Hope this makes sense :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by tofu » 20 Feb 2019, 4:14 pm

awesome, thanks mate
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 20 Feb 2019, 4:30 pm

:welcome: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by ets_87 » 20 Feb 2021, 4:46 pm

Didn’t want to start a new thread but couldn’t find the answer either.....I’m trying to clarify if when transporting your gun to the range, the ammo and pistol need to be in separate locked boxes? For example is it a acceptable to have the firearm and ammo in a locked box attached to the vehicle? Or would I need two different locked boxes? Cheers.
ets_87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 22 Feb 2021, 12:46 pm

For CatH in Qld, you need to have ammo in separate locked container. Pistol and ammo can not be locked in the same container... e.g. you have a pistol case that is locked, that contains both the pistol and the ammo. I always have pistol in a locked case or in a gun bag with a trigger lock. I cant however verify if that is actually required. Some ive spoken to suggest that just having the handgun in a case is sufficient.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws