If you could change one gun law

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

If you could change one gun law

Post by nords » 21 Oct 2014, 9:48 am

If you could change one gun law to get something you wanted or for things to happen the way you think is better, what would it be :D

I'm voting get rid of the PTA system here so we don't have to wait forever for nothing.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Shotfox » 21 Oct 2014, 9:53 am

God where do you start ? The whole system needs overhaul
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 21 Oct 2014, 10:06 am

I don't think I can choose just one. Top 3 would be: bring back semi-auto rifles, get rid of the ridiculous military appearance laws, and remove calibre restrictions for pistols
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 21 Oct 2014, 10:48 am

Baldrick314 wrote:get rid of the ridiculous military appearance laws

+1
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 21 Oct 2014, 10:49 am

Suppressors.

I'd still like my ears to work over the next few decades.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 21 Oct 2014, 10:50 am

Full and semi-auto - would have to include scraping the appearance crap, so 2 birds with 1 stone IMO ;)

Counts as 1 change :D
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by cavok » 21 Oct 2014, 11:08 am

not sure why noise suppressors are used, the most useless thing ever invented. On a pistol they are useless, that's any pistol that requires a holster. Then when rifle shooting ear muffs are good, or what about the flash suppressors on the front of rifles, can't have both. Behind a .233 is fine, some larger calibres when shooting in the open is not an issue, its when shooting a ranges that have overhead tin roofs and concrete floors, the noise is unbearable. Many shooters I know like to hear the big bang, so if you have a suppressor the next guy wont.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 21 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm

cavok wrote:Many shooters I know like to hear the big bang, so if you have a suppressor the next guy wont.

I don't.

I'm rarely at the range and typically hunting with 1-2 friends where it would be beneficial (and appreciated by all).

I'm sticking with suppressors as my vote.

To each their own.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 21 Oct 2014, 1:18 pm

cavok wrote:its when shooting a ranges that have overhead tin roofs and concrete floors, the noise is unbearable.

Little River is awful for that.

About a year ago there was a guy there first thing in the morning sighting in his braked .50 cal.

God damn it was loud in there! It brought the people out of the office to see what he was shooting :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 21 Oct 2014, 1:20 pm

This is a petty gripe considering how long some of the other states have to wait, but the PTA system in VIC is fairly pointless IMO.

Only takes a few hours to come back. Just long enough that it's not worth your while waiting at the store and you have to leave just to come back.

Bolt actions will do me, but the pointless minor delay irks me.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Point223 » 21 Oct 2014, 1:27 pm

Ammo laws in NSW... sepcifically the part where we have to write down our addresses! which complies a lovely list for crims to go shopping with.
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 21 Oct 2014, 1:46 pm

scrolllock wrote:Little River is awful for that.

About a year ago there was a guy there first thing in the morning sighting in his braked .50 cal.

God damn it was loud in there! It brought the people out of the office to see what he was shooting :lol:

That's the lovely place I was making reference to. When I'm on the pistol range to listen to all those rifles in the background is off putting at times. Concrete floor and tin roof, then the wind and cold, all the pleasures of shooting in the great out doors. Then again some of my fellow pistol shooters and possibly me to overload out semi's to make major power factor and then some. When Ro'ing these people I always wore an internal ear plug, and over that ear muffs, still felt the noise and recoil vibrations. What fun. So for us in pistols, noise suppressors won't work.

When I hunt with my son and his friends I like to HEAR who is in the area, this is a big deal, I want to know who is close by their rifles being discharged.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by oowess » 21 Oct 2014, 2:11 pm

Shotfox wrote:God where do you start ? The whole system needs overhaul

The one thing I'd change would be taking the Government out of it all together.

I'm not a child, I can take care of myself and not do anything stupid.

If I choose to do wrong against other people then punish me, otherwise mind your business.

It sucks here and you Ozzies have it 10x as bad.
oowess
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Seconds » 21 Oct 2014, 2:12 pm

Point223 wrote:Ammo laws in NSW... sepcifically the part where we have to write down our addresses! which complies a lovely list for crims to go shopping with.

Yep.

They don't need to break into a gun store to steal guns, they just need to steal a book.

Top idea pollies.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 21 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

The whole PTA process for a start.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 21 Oct 2014, 2:29 pm

As a Victorian I'd like see more areas of national park opened up for hunting…particularly the Alpine National Park.

I know we can hunt virtually anywhere in the state forests and some national parks are open for hunting at certain times of the year.

But the amount of ferals you see in the Alpine National Park is amazing. Deer everywhere, wild dogs, foxes and others.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cavok » 21 Oct 2014, 2:30 pm

Seconds wrote:
Point223 wrote:Ammo laws in NSW... sepcifically the part where we have to write down our addresses! which complies a lovely list for crims to go shopping with.

Yep.

They don't need to break into a gun store to steal guns, they just need to steal a book.

Top idea pollies.

In Victoria our details are also recorded. The shop where I purchase my powder and primers meticulously stores the book in a very safe (safe) lol, place. I know I and he cares as I'm certain most (MOST) shop owners also store this safely, if they don't tell them. Actually two gun stores in particular I visit have literally hundreds of firearms, long arms behind glass, secured. However really not that hard to break into. However I have not heard of to many shop break-ins, must be a reason for that.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 21 Oct 2014, 5:42 pm

North East wrote:As a Victorian I'd like see more areas of national park opened up for hunting…particularly the Alpine National Park.

I know we can hunt virtually anywhere in the state forests and some national parks are open for hunting at certain times of the year.

But the amount of ferals you see in the Alpine National Park is amazing. Deer everywhere, wild dogs, foxes and others.

Yeah pretty silly that my mate can hunt deer in the high country but I can't hunt foxes.....
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 21 Oct 2014, 6:04 pm

I am stuck between the following:

A: De-regulate suppressors. The UK gets it. Why doesn't Australia? Good for OHS, good for not scaring wildlife or stock. I hunt a fair bit on my family's horse stud. Quiet is handy there!

B: Ease up laws on target shooting/plinking on private property. Is it really that bad if I want to shoot some aluminium cans on private property? If for no other reason than to practice my skills for hunting?
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 21 Oct 2014, 6:36 pm

I vote for all the above less full auto ( unless of corse your culling pests in the Cape out of a chopper), and yes the nsw ammo thingo is crap, all they need is your license no. How hard is it for the (authorised person) ie police to access the firearms registry to get your details in the event they need it, isn't that the entire reason our addresses are not printed on our licenses, so if it falls into the wrong hands it is useless to anyone in locating the firearms, common sense ain't that common anymore
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 21 Oct 2014, 7:21 pm

Merge category B and C would be a good start. I don't even want a semi centerfire just a pump action shotgun and a 10/22.

I'm a fan of getting suppressors as well there is a few blocks that have plenty to shoot but the owners won't allow it due to noise complaints from neighbours.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 21 Oct 2014, 7:35 pm

FuzzyM wrote:
North East wrote:As a Victorian I'd like see more areas of national park opened up for hunting…particularly the Alpine National Park.

Yeah pretty silly that my mate can hunt deer in the high country but I can't hunt foxes.....

I can hunt deer in certain areas but not wild dogs, foxes or rabbits with a .30-06!

I'd like to see the Alpine National Park more open for hunting around Mt Hotham and Falls Creek. Deer are plentiful, even in winter well above the snow line but I can't do a thing in those areas.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by PaWNTANK » 21 Oct 2014, 11:30 pm

Merging cat. B & C would be pretty dandy.
You can get lever action shotguns easy enough. Not to mention those Rossi/Taurus Judge revolving rifles/shotguns that can spit out lead as quick as you can pull the trigger. Why not allow pump shotguns and semi auto rimfires? I don't think the pollies would ever consider semi auto shotguns, things like Saigas are way too scary obviously :P the media and anti gunners would be all over semi auto shotguns. I can see the headlines "Parliament passes law which allows sale of Russian death cannons" or something equally as stupid.
And the military appearance law is a load of ass. Scrap that one as well. You can get a Remington 7615 but not a Troy Pump AR, Which functions in exactly the same way but is banned because it looks like an AR15. And you can buy things like Barrett 98B's and DTA SRS's which shows how ineffectual the law is.
Marlin XT-22 Varmint
Howa 1500 Varmint .308 WIN
Remington 700 TAC 21 30-06 SPRG
Boito Reuna 12G
Gamo Cadet .177
PaWNTANK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Westy » 22 Oct 2014, 7:06 am

I'm surprised no one here has said repealing the 1996 gun laws back to say the 1975 gun laws!!!

And suppressors should be made legal under the Work Place Health and Safety Act.

"Many shooters I know like to hear the big bang, so if you have a suppressor the next guy wont."

Quick Question, how old are you like, 5 years old? :? :roll: :oops:
Last edited by Westy on 22 Oct 2014, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 22 Oct 2014, 8:00 am

cavok wrote:not sure why noise suppressors are used, the most useless thing ever invented. On a pistol they are useless, that's any pistol that requires a holster. Then when rifle shooting ear muffs are good, or what about the flash suppressors on the front of rifles, can't have both. Behind a .233 is fine, some larger calibres when shooting in the open is not an issue, its when shooting a ranges that have overhead tin roofs and concrete floors, the noise is unbearable. Many shooters I know like to hear the big bang, so if you have a suppressor the next guy wont.

A very ignorant statement, I won't go right into it as it has all been said many, many times before. We often critiscise the public for making ill informed comments and it is disappointing when we do it ourselves.

If you have used them you know the benefits, it is people whom have had no experience in their application and hunt minimally that have no appreciation of the positives.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Matt1 » 22 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm

Westy wrote:And suppressors should be made legal under the Work Place Health and Safety Act.

That is the case in NZ I believe.
Matt1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 22 Oct 2014, 8:56 pm

I would vote for a change in the rifle range rules. I see no harm in having your own private rifle range, provided it is safe and doesn't piss people off.
The hoops you have to go through to legally target shoot on your own private property in NSW is ridiculous.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 22 Oct 2014, 9:45 pm

Ummmm the fact that there are laws in general about guns :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 23 Oct 2014, 8:35 am

Get rid of the stupid and discriminatory letters of permission to travel with a firearm when hunting on private property . If I have a licence and the guns are registered then all I need to say is I'm going hunting which is a legitimate use . Innocent until proven guilt . It's up to the Police to have a reasonable suspicion or prove you are doing something illegal or leave you to hell alone to carry out you legal personal business . EVEN RUSSIA DON"T REQUIRE SUCH DRACONIA LEGISLATION TO GO HUNTING .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 23 Oct 2014, 10:50 am

mausermate wrote:I would vote for a change in the rifle range rules. I see no harm in having your own private rifle range, provided it is safe and doesn't piss people off.

I'd get behind that.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws