Anyone with any experience with a T/C G2 CONTENDER ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Anyone with any experience with a T/C G2 CONTENDER ?

Post by MeccaOz » 23 Oct 2014, 12:46 pm

I'm love single shot rifles at the moment, yeah I know not the ultimate in practicality but... Anyway has anyone tried these guns. I'm thinking they could be great putting a rimfire or small centerfife caliber on and sniping bunnys from a still position. Then you could throw on a 12G barrel ( Im thinking it would have some kick ) and go after some winged creatures. Any thoughts ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Anyone with any experience with a T/C G2 CONTENDER ?

Post by yoshie » 25 Oct 2014, 9:00 pm

I've got a contender pistol. What do you want to know. The original contender had a better trigger, it could be lightened quite a bit, for a hunting rifle the G2 would be quite all right too. The grip angle is quite steep on the rifles. They come in heaps of clamberings from 17HMR all the way up to 45/70. The have a switchable firing pin on the hammer for rim fire and centre fire.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by nords » 30 Oct 2014, 4:27 pm

These are available on a rifle license Mecca?

That's surprising as you can switch the buttstock for a pistol grip yes?
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Oct 2014, 4:42 pm

Thanks Yoshi and Nords ... Ya know Nords hadnt even thought about that to be honest. Guess I'll have to sus that out.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 30 Oct 2014, 5:24 pm

Yeah you could buy one as a rifle and switch the stock to pistol, but they aren't a very compact design. All the states vary but usually the barrel and frame are registered together as rifle or pistol, in Queensland you can get extra barrels without ptas.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Oct 2014, 5:36 pm

yoshie wrote:Yeah you could buy one as a rifle and switch the stock to pistol, but they aren't a very compact design. All the states vary but usually the barrel and frame are registered together as rifle or pistol, in Queensland you can get extra barrels without ptas.

Whistles innocently & Grins ..... Guess I'll find out, sent an email off to firearms branch, I'll post it up so everyone in WA knows what the go is :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Supporter » 31 Oct 2014, 2:47 pm

Yeah, please do.

I'd like to know where the red tape falls on this.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 31 Oct 2014, 7:02 pm

I think you'd end up in the poo if you were caught with a pistol barrel while out hunting.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Nov 2014, 2:47 am

yoshie wrote:I think you'd end up in the poo if you were caught with a pistol barrel while out hunting.

Laffin mate, Ive shot a fair bit of pistol. Where Im concerned as a hunter I'll stick to using rifles mate ... Im just not good enough in my opinion as a pistol shooter.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by nords » 01 Nov 2014, 7:45 pm

yoshie wrote:I think you'd end up in the poo if you were caught with a pistol barrel while out hunting.

We'll see if we can even get them out west first :(
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Feb 2015, 2:55 am

I've fired the first generation Contenders. Nice guns, just don't shoot 44 Magnums with that original shallow angle grip, it will direct all the recoil into the web of your hand. I like Pachmyr's grip. Also the carbine kit makes for a handy little gun.

I do not know how Australia gun laws work, but in the USA you can turn a handgun into a rifle, but not vise-versa, so we can put a longer barrel on the Contender and add a buttstock and not have a problem. But if we just add the buttstock we have a "Sawed-off" rifle and are in no-no land.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by huccl » 19 Feb 2015, 11:01 am

GLS_1956 wrote:I do not know how Australia gun laws work, but in the USA you can turn a handgun into a rifle, but not vise-versa, so we can put a longer barrel on the Contender and add a buttstock and not have a problem. But if we just add the buttstock we have a "Sawed-off" rifle and are in no-no land.

Longarms and pistols are treated as completely different things here.

Difference licenses, different use requirements, different storage requirements, can use rifles mostly anywhere, can only use pistols at a target range and so on. A little work has to be done to keep up a handgun license, they really don't want people having them.

I did some quick searching and couldn't find anything, I expect though if you lengthened the barrel and stock of what was clearly a handgun they would prohibited on the basis you could convert it back to a pistol.

They've used this excuse before on semi-auto rifles converted to straight pull (which are legal here) prohibiting them because they can be 'easily' converted back to SA.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by johnboy357 » 05 Sep 2020, 2:31 pm

An old post but my 2cents worth.
As far as I know [eastern states anyway] you can have one OR the other [with the appropriate license] - The firearm has to be registered as a handgun OR a rifle and if you got caught with it in any other configuration then I suspect you would be in very deep dodo. Someone from SA once told me he had one on dual registration - pistol and rifle - but I found that very hard to believe at the time. I have a Contender carbine with three barrels - .22LR, .223 & 30-30 - and it is a very nice piece of kit. Being able to switch from rim fire to center fire and change barrels/calibers, which is about a two minute job, makes for a very handy gun indeed. With a scope on each barrel you do not have to realign the scope each time you change over. Unfortunately since Smith & Wesson took over Thompson Center the range of calibers has reduced dramatically but any older model barrel will fit onto both the original Contender and the current G2 model. Then there is the Encore - looks like a scaled up G2 - it does not have the switch hammer to take a rim fire barrel but will take just about any center fire caliber you can think of.

Get one - you will not be disappointed
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Sep 2020, 1:46 pm

20 yrs ago a bloke bought one on a hunt ...it was a 223. It made lots of noise. But it was useless as a hunting tool
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by johnboy357 » 17 Sep 2020, 6:03 pm

Blr243
It should make no more noise than any other .223. Why was it useless - a good hunter would only need one shot for most situations. More likely the guy shooting it was hopeless.
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles