ATA 686 Hi-Grain shotguns

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

ATA 686 Hi-Grain shotguns

Post by huccl » 16 Nov 2014, 7:56 pm

Hi guys,

Looking at a middle price shotgun. Have got about $1000 - $1100 to spend. Can stretch a little for the right thing but not much further.

Today I had a look at the ATA 686 Hi-Grain. Seems like good quality for the money, feels good anyway.

Thoughts on this one?

Thanks guys!
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: ATA 686 Hi-Grain shotguns

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

Looks like a bargain, chrome lined barrels , single select trigger, auto ejectors and a set of chokes ... what more could a bloke want in a shotgun ?

If they did them in 20" I'd consider one myself.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Westy » 16 Nov 2014, 8:51 pm

I've got one and it ain't no Browning or Miroku or berretta but it's a good honest $1000 shotgun.Mine might have a 1000 rounds through it by now and there's no action wear or problems raising their ugly head!!!! Great on rabbits and ducks or so they tell me!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by huccl » 18 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm

Westy wrote:I've got one and it ain't no Browning or Miroku or berretta but it's a good honest $1000 shotgun.

That's all I want.

Miroku etc. completely out of the budget for this.

This is adding one to the safe and for fun, nothing serious that deserves a lot of money.
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 18 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

Westy wrote:I've got one and it ain't no Browning or Miroku or berretta but it's a good honest $1000 shotgun.

It's no clunker either though.

Compared to some of the $600 jobbies on the cheapest end, for the extra $400 it's 10x better quality.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Manimal » 21 Nov 2014, 9:35 am

Xerox wrote:Compared to some of the $600 jobbies on the cheapest end, for the extra $400 it's 10x better quality.

There is a certain black 'defence' double barrel around that price.

Feels like a bit of pine from Bunnings covered in spray paint.

IMO.

edit: Talking about the black stock version, didn't mean blued barrel. Can't speak for the walnut stock version.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

Stoger.png
Stoger.png (679.41 KiB) Viewed 10145 times

I have a Stoger Double Defense or as its sold in Australia "Stoger Tactical" , It's a great gun with a good build quality.

I have stripped the black paint from the stock, polished and oiled the lovely hard wood hidden underneath. I have also polished the chambers for easy extraction, built up the forestock where it meets the barrels at the front giving it a snug fit with zero movement and fitted a screw in rear swivel for fitting a sling.

The Stoger Tactical weighs exactly 3 kg and has ported barrels wich makes it a pleasure to shoot even with heavy loads. The finish on the metal work is very robust and once oiled it is very resistant to rust. The single trigger makes getting the second shot of very fast and the mounting rails makes the gun very versatile, I have had torches, red dot sights and laser pointers mounted to it in various combinations.
The fixed ic chokes suit me well and pattern nicely, using winchester ranger bb's it keeps a tight spread.

Its a well built gun and has proven itself with countless rounds spent through it, its what you dont get that saves the dollars and makes it a 600 buck gun like, chromed barrels, screw in chokes, ejectors, polished metalwork with bluing, selectable trigger, engraving, gold in lay and so on.

Oh yeah.... the famous flaw, letting both barrels go with one pull of the trigger is easy fixed with a slighty heavier trigger spring.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Manimal » 26 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

Edited my post above, meant the painted black stock.

That looks a lot better than the one I handled.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 26 Nov 2014, 5:52 pm

Back to the ATA686...

They're a good little bundle for the price. You get a break-down case, 4 or 5 chokes included, it's fitted with a Pachmayer recoil pad stock. Saves a few additional costs.

I think it's Pachmayer, one of the good aftermarket ones in any case.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Weepy » 26 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm

They talk up the 'Enhanced Timber' stock a bit much for my liking.

It's good, but not as good as high-grade walnut like they suggest, IMO.

It's half the price though so how much can you complain really.
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Westy » 26 Nov 2014, 9:26 pm

Shoots pigs Dead !!!that's all I need it to do!!!!LMFAO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Weepy » 27 Nov 2014, 10:12 am

Nah c'mon.

It has to look pretty too ;)
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Jamster » 02 Dec 2014, 11:40 pm

Great gun! I have a Beretta and a Fabarm as well, but the ATA is the one that shoots ducks, rabbits and foxes. It has never let me down and I've put at least 2,500 rounds through it. I'd buy another in a heart beat - love it.
Jamster
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by huccl » 03 Dec 2014, 10:29 am

Thanks Jamster.
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tarnagulla » 10 Dec 2014, 4:16 pm

I am no expert, but a local dealer (who is a keen Field & Game shooter) sold a lot of the ATA shotguns when they first came out. They are a copy of a Beretta, the barrels are interchangeable!
However, over time, people reported problems, particularly with the ejectors, which wore quickly - not Beretta quality steel. He no longer stocks ATA...
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Jamster » 11 Dec 2014, 8:06 am

tarnagulla wrote:I am no expert, but a local dealer (who is a keen Field & Game shooter) sold a lot of the ATA shotguns when they first came out. They are a copy of a Beretta, the barrels are interchangeable!
However, over time, people reported problems, particularly with the ejectors, which wore quickly - not Beretta quality steel. He no longer stocks ATA...

Who's the dealer? I've heard of very little problems with the ATA in my travels, but no doubt there are a few. Lucky they have a 5 year warranty hey, unlike most others who have 1 year.
Jamster
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sha » 11 Dec 2014, 7:24 pm

Jamster wrote:Lucky they have a 5 year warranty hey

Yeah that's pretty good these days.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by tommo64 » 01 Aug 2018, 10:54 pm

I've been looking at these with duck hunting in mind. What is their proof rating? Are they proofed for steel shot?
tommo64
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.