Greens call to end using sniffer dogs

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Greens call to end using sniffer dogs

Post by Seconds » 01 Dec 2014, 1:59 pm

Sniffer dogs are a familiar site on Sydney's train platforms and at festivals across NSW - but now the Greens are looking to bring an end to what they claim is "police harrassment and pointless ritual humiliation".

The NSW Greens have called for an end to the use of sniffer dogs to detect drugs, after collecting data they claim shows false identifications lead to thousands of pointless personal searches by police throughout the state every year.

The SniffOff campaign launched by the party earlier this month claims the dogs have a false positive rate of 72 per cent on public transport.

In other situations the average is not much better, with false positives at a rate of 64 per cent.

The Greens claim up to 17,000 people are searched after being identified as a drug carrier every year.

Will Tregoning of Unharm told Fairfax Media he believed drug dogs were ineffective even against people who did carry drugs.

Dr Tregoning said if people were worried about being caught by sniffer dogs, they would be more likely to take illicit substances at home, or hurriedly when they were out, which could lead to an overdose.

However, a NSW Police spokesperson said their were no plans to examine the use of drug dogs on the force. © ninemsn 2014

Points in bold... This isn't ringing any hypocrisy bells for you Greens members?

Putting people through pointless hassle and treating them like criminals?

No? None? Really?
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Greens call to end using sniffer dogs

Post by jennageit » 01 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

Of course the greens want an end to sniffer dogs, and if they don't have the clout to get the job done, they'll be sure to get PETA and other Animal activists onboard in order to make is 'for the betterment of the dogs'. That's usually the way things go, isn't it?

Mind you, if we don't have sniffer dogs, how will we know that the 'greens' have a stash?!

Like my daughter says:

"When I'm old enough to go hunting, I'm hunting foxes, and rabbits, and greenies".

Out of the mouths of babes (Well, a 5yo country kid, so close enough)
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 01 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

I have some sympathy for those dogs!!!!!I mean would you want to smell people all day long???? :lol: :D :lol:
Attachments
!cid_A2E768FB0CD2405B86E9AEB852EC2E0E@your4105e587b6.jpg
!cid_A2E768FB0CD2405B86E9AEB852EC2E0E@your4105e587b6.jpg (89.98 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 01 Dec 2014, 9:40 pm

jennageit wrote:
"When I'm old enough to go hunting, I'm hunting foxes, and rabbits, and greenies".

Out of the mouths of babes (Well, a 5yo country kid, so close enough)

Promoting murder of a human would be not a wise course to follow. Be very careful what you say on the internet regarding the use of firearms. It might sound funny to you…but firearms are serious s**t.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 01 Dec 2014, 9:58 pm

Anyone else find it strange that the greens want to make it easier to get around with a bag of weed in your pocket? Hmmm me either
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 01 Dec 2014, 10:17 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Anyone else find it strange that the greens want to make it easier to get around with a bag of weed in your pocket? Hmmm me either

Are you for real? Liberals and Nationals just got annihilated in Victoria.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 02 Dec 2014, 6:44 am

North East wrote:
Combat_Wombat wrote:Anyone else find it strange that the greens want to make it easier to get around with a bag of weed in your pocket? Hmmm me either

That's because Victoria is full of dole bludging assholes that voted for less spending control and more welfare!!!!Victoria is the largest drain on the public purse in the Commonwealth!!!!!!! that's why the A.L.P just got back in !!! I hope your proud of yourselves guys I guess the rest of Australia will pick up the slack for you ?????!!!!! :evil: :x :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 02 Dec 2014, 6:51 am

Labour didn't "win" the election - the other lame arsed sods lost it!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Morro » 02 Dec 2014, 7:56 am

What the Greens slyly leave out is those 72 & 64% statistics conveniently refrain from accounting for how many people that the dog targeted who had recently taken or handled drugs but had nothing on them
Morro
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 02 Dec 2014, 11:25 am

North East wrote:

You're a troll, or just a tosser perhaps....

The Greens also suffered a swing against them...... if they get the one seat in the lower house they are irrelevant, even if they got 2 or 3!! it means nothing at all whatsoever, except for the greens website to be updated with Federal member and state member for Melbourne. All it means is the media will have a 10 second sound bite to replay ad-nauseam if and when their one lonely member representative is allowed to stand up in the green room (ironically) and preach your animal welfare-open border- free the refuges - legalise dope - convert all roads to bike lanes mindless mantra....

Thankfully the green swing was negative just as it was at the last Federal election.... hopefully the trend continues and they go the way of the democrats
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by chacka » 02 Dec 2014, 4:39 pm

jennageit wrote:"When I'm old enough to go hunting, I'm hunting foxes, and rabbits, and greenies".

I like her already.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Supporter » 02 Dec 2014, 7:30 pm

God I wish their party would just die already.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 03 Dec 2014, 7:36 am

Perhaps a statistically significant number of greens have been caught by the dogs and they're feeling their rights have been like, totally abused and their freedoms are being smashed and this and that and everything else! It's like, totally against their rights and could cause psychological damage that could make them miss uni! They would have to get like, counselling and a note and sh1t!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 03 Dec 2014, 7:58 am

I'm all for drug dogs, anything to keep the drugged out beggars who accost you down the station.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by harlow » 03 Dec 2014, 9:34 am

Noisydad wrote:Perhaps a statistically significant number of greens have been caught by the dogs and they're feeling their rights have been like, totally abused and their freedoms are being smashed and this and that and everything else!

They keep having to ditch their pot brownies I say! :lol:
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by North East » 03 Dec 2014, 8:04 pm

1290 wrote:You're a troll, or just a tosser perhaps....

The Greens also suffered a swing against them...... if they get the one seat in the lower house they are irrelevant, even if they got 2 or 3!! it means nothing at all whatsoever, except for the greens website to be updated with Federal member and state member for Melbourne. All it means is the media will have a 10 second sound bite to replay ad-nauseam if and when their one lonely member representative is allowed to stand up in the green room (ironically) and preach your animal welfare-open border- free the refuges - legalise dope - convert all roads to bike lanes mindless mantra....

Thankfully the green swing was negative just as it was at the last Federal election.... hopefully the trend continues and they go the way of the democrats

Where do you live in Victoria?….Melbourne?….sounds like it…ever left it?….sounds like not.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

Mmm... I wonder if there is another reason why they call tnem selves greens? Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 03 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

North East wrote:Where do you live in Victoria?….Melbourne?….sounds like it…ever left it?….sounds like not.

Mate you are like Rabbi in the Gestapo, a hunter who supports the greens is either self destructive or a few buds short of a fifty bag. Not sure how anyone from the bush can say a single thing the greens has done has had a positive impact.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

Mmm... I wonder if there is another reason why they call tnem selves greens? Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Dec 2014, 6:36 am

I heard that they have the s**ts on because one of them there dogs found were their great leader was hiding his Butt Plug!!!!!!! Sniffed it out and Bob was caught out!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by lole » 04 Dec 2014, 11:12 am

Being baked all the time might explain some of the ideas they put forward :mrgreen:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mattj82 » 04 Dec 2014, 12:36 pm

Just doing a back of the envelope calculation, according to the Greens figures, at best 2 out of every three people identified by sniffer dogs are not carrying.

These people are then searched. That means that there are 11,333 unnecessary searches being conducted every year in NSW. Say a search takes 2 minutes (that's a figure I just made up out of no where), that 378 wasted police hours, to say noting of the wasted time of innocent people.

Plus I don't imagine that there are many million dollar drug hauls made by police sniffer dogs, I'd say that a lot of the positives would be for a gram of blow.

Just saying.

(Oh, I'd never vote green in a red fit)
Mattj82
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by shazz » 04 Dec 2014, 2:08 pm

You say that though like every second of Police time spent should result in a conviction or something.

Obviously that aint how it works.

It's a number game. Follow the dogs, approach X number of people, get X number of finds. 30% hit rate sounds reasonable to me.
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 04 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

that 378 wasted police hours

They spend double those hours hanging out at the Donut shop!!!!! :lol: ;) :D
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 05 Dec 2014, 9:13 am

chacka wrote:
jennageit wrote:"When I'm old enough to go hunting, I'm hunting foxes, and rabbits, and greenies".

I like her already.

Being a 5 year old, she has absolutely no idea of the implications that go with hunting all of that, but I like her attitude.

She's growing into a smart kid, who's determined to hurry her way to 12 years of age so that she can get her gun license, and go "gun shooting" with me.

My husband said that we'd make a good team, saying it within earshot of said 5yo.

now she's comes to me a says, "when we go shooting, we're gunna be a team mum, and we'll shoot lots of things together".

Such a cutie!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by chacka » 05 Dec 2014, 10:19 am

More than enough time to learn the serious aspects of it and the responsibilities.

You can't learn enthusiasm though ;)
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by jennageit » 06 Dec 2014, 9:44 am

chacka wrote:More than enough time to learn the serious aspects of it and the responsibilities.

You can't learn enthusiasm though ;)

She will be taught well, as all of the others here will, but right now, I'm letting her be a kid. Childhood goes too quickly, and is taken from too many kids these days, she gets to have hers for as long as it lasts, I reckon.

In the meantime, we'll continue to educate, and work hard to not crush her enthusiasm :)

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 07 Dec 2014, 8:31 am

They gotta protect their hash brownies! :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love