Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Post by subatom » 16 Jul 2013, 8:39 pm

Hi guys,

Bit of a curiosity here is all... What's the largest calibre rifle a civi can legally own here in Aus?

Thinking of a long range target rifle and my imaginations getting away from me a bit, hehe.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Post by John445 » 17 Jul 2013, 10:02 am

This is a bit trickier than you'd think...

I believe according to the letter of the law it's 50 cal. Supposedly we should just be able to get one as per any other with our reasons for needing one either being target shooting or hunting.

But from what I've read a lot of people have been rejected saying that target shooting or hunting isn't sufficient reason for that calibre specifically, even though strictly speaking we should be able to have them... Some have managed to get them, others have not.

Varies a little by state too I think.
John445
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by agentzero » 17 Jul 2013, 10:48 am

50 cal *droooool*

My dream rifle for one day hopefully :D
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 17 Jul 2013, 11:21 am

John445 wrote:This is a bit trickier than you'd think...

I believe according to the letter of the law it's 50 cal. Supposedly we should just be able to get one as per any other with our reasons for needing one either being target shooting or hunting.

But from what I've read a lot of people have been rejected saying that target shooting or hunting isn't sufficient reason for that calibre specifically, even though strictly speaking we should be able to have them... Some have managed to get them, others have not.

Target shooting has been the only successful way to get one AFAIK. As you say though, it's not just a matter of just ticking the box then popping down to the local gun store to pick one up.

I know of a few people who have managed to get them, but it was after having to go to court and spend thousands on legal fees to show that they were allowed to have one. That's the worst part of the whole thing, having go through the legal BS and spend a fortune in order to get something which you should be able to have according to the written laws.

The hypocrisy of this is what gets to me. If they can demonstrate reasons why citizens shouldn't be allowed them, and make them illegal that's one thing. But to say you can have one then bury you in red tape and other political rubbish is BS.

338 mag is about the limit that everyone can readily get, with little/no questions asked. Even if your state technically allows them, the powers that be don't want you to have one.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Most powerful rifle round legal in Australia

Post by Harper » 18 Jul 2013, 10:51 am

Lorgar wrote:
John445 wrote:But from what I've read a lot of people have been rejected saying that target shooting or hunting isn't sufficient reason for that calibre specifically. 338 mag is about the limit that everyone can readily get, with little/no questions asked.

Yet if you apply for a 338 Lapua Mag you'll likely get shut down :roll:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Seik » 18 Jul 2013, 11:01 am

Harper wrote:
Lorgar wrote:
John445 wrote:But from what I've read a lot of people have been rejected saying that target shooting or hunting isn't sufficient reason for that calibre specifically. 338 mag is about the limit that everyone can readily get, with little/no questions asked.

Yet if you apply for a 338 Lapua Mag you'll likely get shut down :roll:

Lapua must be a scary word if you work in the Government.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by subatom » 29 Jul 2013, 3:25 pm

Thanks all,

Realistically I expect I won't get anything more than a .308 or 300 win mag, but it's nice to dream about something bigger. He he.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by jordy » 29 Jul 2013, 3:28 pm

subatom wrote:Thanks all,

Realistically I expect I won't get anything more than a .308 or 300 win mag, but it's nice to dream about something bigger. He he.

Good for you, dreams are about all we can have here in Aus if you're interested in a more serious calibre firearm.

Let anyone have one and we'll all start shooting down planes apparently :roll:
jordy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Sniper73 » 09 Nov 2013, 9:24 am

Hi All,

I am only new here but spent a long time in the Army as a Sniper playing with alot of different weapons. Now getting to what was asked!

You can have a .50cal if you can justify why that calibre is needed.

Most ranges in Australia are restricting large calibres because of what is around the range and the distance the projectile can travel. That is what I am lead to believe!

I know that in most military ranges we could shoot our .50cal rifles because of safety and mantles behind targets were oversize... :lol:
Sniper73
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 09 Nov 2013, 9:39 am

A bit off topic, did you all see where the CGC Australia are now calling the .50 cal an anti- aircraft round? Just the first step in another hysterical campaign I reckon.

Really, when are they all going to wakeup, I would like to see them try and ban the sale and use of high powered cars using the same reasoning.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Brute » 09 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

Warrigul wrote:A bit off topic, did you all see where the CGC Australia are now calling the .50 cal an anti- aircraft round?

:lol:

Yeah I saw something a while a go too. Was a statement from a police figure of some sort saying you "could shoot down planes" with them, and that was the concern.

Geeez.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Nov 2013, 2:28 pm

People have taken down planes with a Stanly knife before to.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kelix » 09 Nov 2013, 2:39 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:People have taken down planes with a Stanly knife before to.

These ******'s that think people are going to shoot down planes... I wonder if it's occurred to them that a plane is miles up and travelling at hundreds of KM an hour.

I gotta say, if I was on a plane and knew someone on the ground was shooting at me with a rifle, I don't think I'd be worried...
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by subatom » 19 Nov 2013, 10:06 am

Kelix wrote:These ******'s that think people are going to shoot down planes... I wonder if it's occurred to them that a plane is miles up and travelling at hundreds of KM an hour.

Need a few hundred metres windage adjustment on your scope.

I don't recall any having quite that much range of adjustment :lol:
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hilux2003 » 20 Dec 2013, 10:46 pm

In NSW, probably 10gauge or .775" cannon, black power loaded.

Your next best will also be black powder at 0.75" & if your using the heavy stuff, it packs a decent "thump".
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 6mmdasher » 21 Dec 2013, 12:06 am

I don't think cal is the problem, its what your local range has been approved with reguarding with the danger zone blueprint! If you have a baffled range it is not so bad, but with our range we shoot out over the sea and we are limited to the trajectory of a 7mm Rem mag. The 50 bmg out does this so it will be up to your range approval guidelines
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by boyou » 21 Dec 2013, 7:57 am

6mmdasher wrote:I don't think cal is the problem...

Logically, no.

In fuzzy/panic ridden legislator logic, yes.

50 Cal! Scary remember! Think of the childen riding in planes!

Instant ban everywhere.
boyou
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sloth » 26 Dec 2013, 9:10 pm

rifles_steyr_picture6.jpg
rifles_steyr_picture6.jpg (19.56 KiB) Viewed 81144 times

We can get this in Queensland.

Steyr HS 460 35.5"
Single Shot
New $8459
Sloth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 27 Dec 2013, 12:28 pm

Pretty sure they do a 5 shot magazine version of the Steyr HS now too, not just single shot.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Chronos » 27 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

Guess my mates .58 cal Musketoon is illegal according to your .50cal limit then.

There's a massive difference between caliber and energy, I don't think a large caliber rifle poses any more "danger" than a .223 or .308

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 27 Dec 2013, 2:47 pm

Chronos wrote:Guess my mates .58 cal Musketoon is illegal according to your .50cal limit then.

I'm sure you know that's not the "50 cal" we're talking about.

Chronos wrote:There's a massive difference between caliber and energy, I don't think a large caliber rifle poses any more "danger" than a .223 or .308

You don't need to tell us.

I'd say tell someone the powder that be at the firearms registry, but good luck with that :P
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by flap » 27 Dec 2013, 2:52 pm

BBJ wrote:Pretty sure they do a 5 shot magazine version of the Steyr HS now too, not just single shot.

They definitely do for the .50 cal version; The Steyr HS .50 M1.

Same as single shot but with 5 round mag.

Don't know about the .460 cal HS.
Sako A7 .270 Win
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
flap
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 27 Dec 2013, 3:09 pm

Blackened wrote:
Chronos wrote:Guess my mates .58 cal Musketoon is illegal according to your .50cal limit then.

I'm sure you know that's not the "50 cal" we're talking about.

Chronos wrote:There's a massive difference between caliber and energy, I don't think a large caliber rifle poses any more "danger" than a .223 or .308

You don't need to tell us.

I'd say tell someone the powder that be at the firearms registry, but good luck with that :P

Sorry, I thought the question was "what's the largest caliber", not the largest cartridge.

I know there are shooters that believe they need the most powerful rifle they can legally own but I'm not one of them.

A .338LM makes the owner neither a better shooter, nor a bigger man than the owner of a 6BR, maybe he just feels the need compensate. :p LOL

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 27 Dec 2013, 3:34 pm

Chronos wrote:I know there are shooters that believe they need the most powerful rifle they can legally own but I'm not one of them.

A .338LM makes the owner neither a better shooter, nor a bigger man than the owner of a 6BR, maybe he just feels the need compensate. :p LOL

Nor am I.

I've shot some big calibre stuff of course and they're definitely a bit of fun to have a bash on - If someone want's one, I wish them all the best with it - but they aren't something I want as my 'regular' rifle.

Plenty of choice in the 30 cal family to cover hunting everything in Australia, and cover target shooting at distances further than most of us will have the opportunity or skill to shoot at.

IMO anyway.

You've got a good spread of calibres going on there, based on your forum signature ;)
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 27 Dec 2013, 3:55 pm

Chronos wrote:I know there are shooters that believe they need the most powerful rifle they can legally own but I'm not one of them.

I've heard it dubbed "cartridge insecurity" in the past.

When they've just gotta have the hardest hitting thing they can handle.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 27 Dec 2013, 6:20 pm

Blackened wrote:

Nor am I.

I've shot some big calibre stuff of course and they're definitely a bit of fun to have a bash on - If someone want's one, I wish them all the best with it - but they aren't something I want as my 'regular' rifle.

Plenty of choice in the 30 cal family to cover hunting everything in Australia, and cover target shooting at distances further than most of us will have the opportunity or skill to shoot at.

IMO anyway.

You've got a good spread of calibres going on there, based on your forum signature ;)

Oh I agree, I'm not saying something like a .338lap should be banned, they would be fun to play with beyond the mile however the cost of both the rig and the components plus the recoil is enough for me to say "i'll pass"

When I was looking to shoot longer ranges I looked at the big 30's but for me the .284W had the perfect mix of performance and manners. The 180gr bergers have a BC of .674 and runs at 2700fps from just 49.5gr if powder in my .284W. for a .30cal to beat it needs to weigh 215gr and to beat it with a .338 sierra you need to shoot a 300gr matchking. Performance has a price, its called recoil and I shoot better without it.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 27 Dec 2013, 8:38 pm

Chronos wrote:Performance has a price, its called recoil and I shoot better without it.

Stupid recoil... About 10 years ago I had a car accident and broke my right collar bone in what was a "spectacular" break according to the paramedic. Bone through skin and the whole 9 yards.

Anyway, I now have a 45 degree point out of my collar bone which is exactly where the top of my rifle butt wants to sit :(

More recoil than it should goes into that one bit for me and adds up quickly. Mine .308 is more than enough for me for hunting and target shooting. I doubt I'll ever get anything more powerful for either.

The largest I can ever see myself going is 300 win mag in an ultra light sporter which would only be fired on game, not in sessions at the range. Half a dozen shots in an outing max or whatever... If I got a bench rifle in the same I'd have to muzzle brake it I think.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 29 Dec 2013, 7:04 pm

plenty of rifles in Aus with greater/larger calibre.... the old 577/450, 577Nitro, then the big Nitros 600/700, 4 Bore rifle with the 1inch bore.

There are many wildcats in the plus 50cal range, but I would have no idea how many are registered here, I wouldnt say none... ;)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Kipper » 29 Dec 2013, 7:23 pm

1290 wrote:plenty of rifles in Aus with greater/larger calibre.... the old 577/450, 577Nitro, then the big Nitros 600/700, 4 Bore rifle with the 1inch bore.

There are many wildcats in the plus 50cal range, but I would have no idea how many are registered here, I wouldnt say none... ;)

Yeah, "largest calibre" is the wrong question really.

Most powerful cartridge would be worded better.

There are 50 cals, and 50 cals, and 50 cals...
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Oct 2015, 7:34 pm

bentaz wrote:There is a 585 nyati on abused guns that looks like it'd be fun to plink with.

Now that is an obscure calibre to play with. Wonder how much a box of 20 sells for.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics